Vaillant/MultiMATIC integration

Hello Thomas,
Thanks for this great implementation.
The integration worked like a charm!

One question resides:
I can use the lovelance thermostat card just for the climate zone, not for the boiler (hot water).

Although I can change Boiler values by opening the “hot water” entity.
Has anybody seen this behaviour, any suggestions on it ?

Thanks!

Hi, thanks four your input :slight_smile:

Zones (and rooms) are mapped to climate entities. Hot water is mapped to water heater entity (https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/core/entity/water-heater/). I also found strange to have such difference between climate and water heater, but I want to stick as much as possible to what HA offers.

Hi I am trying to install the Vaillant and getting this ERROR

Logger: homeassistant.components.hassio
Source: components/hassio/init.py:326
Integration: Hass.io (documentation, issues)
First occurred: September 26, 2020, 3:51:56 PM (8 occurrences)
Last logged: 9:41:42 AM

• Component error: vaillant - Integration ‘vaillant’ not found. Component error: secret_key - Integration ‘secret_key’ not found. Component error: password - Integration ‘password’ not found. Component error: platform - Integration ‘platform’ not found. Component error: api_key - Integration ‘api_key’ not found. Component error: user_prefix - Integration ‘user_prefix’ not found. Component error: app_version - Integration ‘app_version’ not found. Component error: username - Integration ‘username’ not found.
  • Component error: vaillant - Integration ‘vaillant’ not found. Platform error climate.vaillant - Integration ‘vaillant’ not found.
  • Component error: vaillant - Integration ‘vaillant’ not found.

I have uploaded files to config/custom_components/vaillant/

I have updated the configuration.yaml file with below

What am I doing wrong ?

Best regards,
Michael

Hello,

actually you have to configure the integration through the UI (configuration -> integrations -> +) and search for vaillant. You should be prompt with the user and password (and optionally the serial id, you can leave it blank if you only have one installation, the integration will fetch it automatically).

(You first have to copy the vaillant folder into custom_components, see https://github.com/thomasgermain/vaillant-component).

You should no use the configuration.yaml (nor the climate platform).

Let me know if you still have issue.

Can I ask you where you find that way to configuration the integration ?

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks alot for the quick response!

I just installed vaillant into custom_components and cleaned the configuration.yaml file from vaillant. I tried to find Vaillant via UI integrations, but cannot find it. Also i scrolled down the list in case of mistypo, but no Vaillant there.

I am new to this and thought the configuration.yaml should be used for all new integrations, so I found another thread where this information was provided in the configuration.yaml file and added accordingly.

Why am I not able to find the Vaillant integration ?

Best regards,
Michael

Did you restart your HA ?

Yes and I just did again. Unfortunately same issue.

Mhh strange. custom_components is well spelt (components plural) ? And the folder is in the same folder as your configuration.yaml ?

You have a vaillant folder inside (coming from github) ?

Do you have any error ? (You should have a warning log saying vaillant is a custom components and might cause trouble or something soo).

Which version or HA are you running ?

I have uploaded all files via gifthub, using “file editor” UI from HA. One file at the time.

Yes the folder custom_components is in the same folder as configuration.yaml

Running : Home Assistant 0.115.3

Getting this warning

Hmm acutally i never tried uploading via the file editor and I’m still runing HA 0.114.

If I have some times today, I’m gonna try HA 0.115

Thanks alot for your effort Thomas :slight_smile:

Just tried with HA 0.115.3 (in docker) and it works as expected.

According to your last post, everything is supposed to work (warning log saying the component is loaded). So you should see the integration in the ui.

Thanks Thomas now it works!

I had to clear my Chrome browser cache before the Vaillant showed up. It can be done by

Chrome -> settings -> site settings -> storage -> search for your URL for Home Assistant-> “clear & reset”

Thanks again for the great work you have done! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Michael

Ah great :), let me know if you have any issues

Hi, I did a quick scan through this thread and the code. Sorry if I missed anything, but is it correct that this only works with the public/internet HTTP api and thus depends on the vaillant cloud service? Or does this also work on local network, controlling ebus directly?

Hi,

indeed it only work through HTTP (if you find something to be able to manage it through local network, i’ll take it ! There is a lot missing data inside the API).

Well, I guess the 2 ways of doing it locally would be either via eBus (which would require some eBus USB or ethernet adapter) or via EEBUS (which would require the the vr920 or 921).

From the diagram here: https://www.eebus.org/technology/ it seems like EEBUS does device discovery via mDNS and then communicates with a protocol on top of a websocket. The protocol is specified here: https://www.eebus.org/media-downloads/#_specifications

So that seems to be the easiest route. However I have no VR920/921 at the moment, so I just started looking into eBus. Thing is, connecting to the data-link layer is easy enough with ebusd, but is the vaillant protocol specified somewhere or would this need to be reverse-engineerd? I guess one could listen on the eBus connected to a VR920 as you control it over HTTP.

What’s also unclear to me is where most of the logic is with the eBus protocol.
E.g. let’s say you want to reach 22 degrees and it’s too cold in the room. Does the VRC700/720 just send the current temperature and desired temperature on the bus an does the boiler and VR70/71 self manage with that information? Or does the VRC700 send more fine-grained commands and is the boiler more of a ‘dumb’ device executing these commands?

1 Like

Hello,

I’m quite happy to announce version 1.4.0: supporting cooling.

Please note:

1. There are breaking changes regarding the mapping between vaillant mode <> hvac mode and preset
  2. I don’t have any cooling system and I can’t fully test this release, so please be sure to be able to rollback in case of blocking bug.

I’m looking for some testers for this release. Please fill a github issue if you have any… issue :slight_smile:

Thomas

1 Like

Hallo,
ich habe eine Vaillant-Heizung und VR-Modul mit den Thermostatköpfen Ambisense von Vaillant. Gibt es eine Möglichkeit diese in Iobroker einzubinden? Leider finde ich keine Datenpunkte über den Vaillant.0 Adapter… ?
Gruß Maria

Hello,

actually, the work I did is related to home assistant. Maybe there is a “bridge” between iobroker and HA ?