Velux Active (HomeKit accessory) control via Home Assistant?

So, been running this for a year now with mediocre success. Integration with HomeKit and input_boolean as described above. At some point it startet to work reliably, probably an Apple update on HomeKit made that possible.

Also figured there is some more stuff ongoing: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/velux-active-http-api-reverse-engineering/141567

not much progess there I guess but let’s keep fingers crossed, I’m just comfortable with scripts so what they describe there is far over the top of my skills…

To your questions @SmartManor, I can only answer regarding the HomeKit on an old iPad:
a) check if you can get HomeKit running as a Hub on this one first (my iPad2 did not work anymore)
b) it needs to continuously run to work as a Hub.

Hope that helps!

A few months ago I decided to go with the KLF200. Works fairly well with HA integration.
The only issue I have is that after multiple reboots of HA, the KLF200 won’t accept a TCP connection from HA, and it causes HA to sit and wait forever…have to go reboot the KLF200. Others have reported that a recent fix in HA solved that problem, but for me I still see it.

Hi Guys,
I’m looking at investing in a new skylight for my bedroom, and stumbled across the Velux range. Naturally my next step was to google ‘Velux Active Home Assistant’, which led me here!

I’m looking at the Velux Integra Solar While PU Triple Glazed Roof Window: https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/product/velux-integra-ggu-006630-solar-white-pu-triple-glazed-roof-window

and also the automation kit: https://www.sterlingbuild.co.uk/product/kix-300-velux-active-package

I do not have homekit, however I am successfully running Tado Thermostatic Valves using the homekit integration (didn’t do anything to my configuration.yaml, the valves just showed up in the integrations page of HA.

So my question is, if I purchase this window with the automation kit, will i be able to control the window and the black out blind from HA without purchasing anything else?

Alternatively, can I just wire the controls to a physical switch, then control that switch by installing a smart relay (ie. Shelly 2.5) behind it?

1 Like

Sorry to hijack this thread… but theCheek, Im also trying to use Tado via the Homekit protocol and I dont see how to do it. Ive managed to add the bridge as a homekit accessory, but how do I link TRVs to this bridge? I tried pressing the pair button and hoping they would just show up, but no such luck.

I’m not sure how to get it work from that way round. I actually had tado setup via their app and cloud, then when I realised it could use the homekit protocol I did what you did and linked the hub to HA. Then all the thermostatic valves (I’m assuming these are the TRVs you speak of) showed up under the homekit integration by themselves. Sorry if this doesn’t help much!

That helps a ton, actually. I already have a working tado setup configured via their cloud and then connected to HA via their API, but I had a spare bridge and trv that I wanted to experiment with just to be sure I wouldnt get cold :). If I can just migrate my existing setup thats actually easier!

If you do that, I assume you lose all scheduling and have to do everything in HA? And are you sure your setup is now “cloud free”, and everything works even if you pull the plug on your internet?

Hi, sorry again for late response. As the weather here has been scorching for the whole year, I haven’t actually used my tados since last winter. However as the weather is changing I decided to spend the weekend getting my climate components working properly, which would allow me to answer your questions. However due to issues.with my heatpump andthe smart things component, all my time has been sucked into that.

I haven’t lost my scheduling config from tado, but plan on disconnecting the cloud component completely in favour of HA. Will report back once I get any fruitful results.

Hi
Sharing what I did with Velux Active (VA) and Home Assistant (HA).

I have KIX300 with 3 windows and 2 room sensors (KLA300) - the departure switch doesn’t work and I don’t care :).

With the newer versions of HA HA’s HomeKit controller automatically scans for devices - and if your VA isn’t connected to HomeKit (mobile app VELUX ACTIVE go to Settings, Home management, VELUX Gateway - ensure that it says “Setup HomeKit” otherwise “leave”) your should be prompted in HA - “New device found”.

The PIN code that is required - I scanned the barcode on the bottom (not the HomeKit one, the other) and the last part G:xxx-xx-xxx is the PIN code.

Simply adding the HomeKit integration and waiting / rebooting then my 2 sensors and 3 windows showed up.

So now I have Temperature, Humidity and CO2 level for 2 rooms and can control my 3 roof windows.

Allowing you to deactive “ACTIVE control” in the app and make better automation in HA.
PS If you want the devices in HomeKit you can use HomeKit integration to publish the devices to HomeKit.

NOTE: I had the KIX300 powered off for a half an hours - then when booted the VA mobile app had problems accessing the sensors - but not the windows - and HA showed 0 on all sensors so I rebooted HA and all worked again.

Thanks HA community for the HomeKit controller allowing VA integration :smile:

7 Likes

saunte:
I’ve been reading this topic for months, hoping to get my system working, your reply gave me some hope, and I finally managed!
I don’t have any Apple devices and don’t intend to get any, so things are slightly different.
I see the homekit integration notification in HA, but it always told me “Device refused to add pairing as it is already pairing with another controller.”. I only ever set the velux active system up once with the official Android app, never any Homekit pairing!
Additionally, the Android app does not mention homekit at all:
Screenshot_20200127-074519|281x500

Problem turned out to be: if you only once enter the wrong code in the HA pairing window, it blocks the process of pairing from then on!
Solution:
-long press the config button until the white LED turns on.
-go to the setup WiFi part in the app, as shown in my screen above (settings - home management - gateway), complete the process.
-while the process is completing, I tried to click the configure again, to get HA to remove the device by telling me it is “not longer available”. Probably not essential.
-Once the wifi is reconfigured, the homekit pairing block is lifted, and you can try again. Note this does not reset bindings and devices, just resets the Wifi network login and homekit pairing, so it only takes 2 minutes!
-The homekit pin on the back is the same as the G:xxx-xx-xxx code in the second QR barcode, no need to scan it. The homekit logo’s pin is written differently, without dashes, just reformat.

That should hopefuly cover everybody’s cases

PS saunte: if you have made a HA automation config copy of the velux active control, maybe that can help me get started? I actually don’t mind it, just want to expand it by adding “sleep-in” functionality that is very hard to do otherwise…

1 Like

Hi
Glad you got it working.
And your troubles will most likely help others :slight_smile:
Haven’t made the automation yet - so too early to share the automation code.

Sharing : Update - I moved to a Debian Linux doing a HASS installation on an Intel NUC (not using HASS.IO any longer on my R.Pi).
To get Velux integration to work again I had to reset the gateway (press on the button for a long time until red then release and immediately press shortly again - after this you have to configure the Wifi as well).
The device didn’t pop up automatically so I had to start “HomeKit accessory” integration manually - and then it was ok.

Hi guys,

this is a great thread and helped me to integrate the Velux Acitve into my HA installation.
One question from my side: I´m controlling one window and two covers. At neither of them I have the ability to stop it or to reverse it.

Any Ideas what I can do?

Thanks a lot!

If memory serves the Velux HomeKit implementation is missing stop support. (The device itself, rather than Home Assistant).

The Velux windows certainly have stop support as it is built in the Velux Active app. However, not exposed to HA for some reason.

The HA integration via Apple Homekit works very well otherwise. I have automations that shut the roof windows if I turn on the heating. Others that close the blinds at sunset

From a homekit point of view they don’t though. They might support it via the native API but they don’t export it via HomeKit, even when paired with an iOS device. (Unless they have fixed that in a recent firmware update).

We do support the stop feature for HomeKit cover devices that support the stop feature.

I can confirm that cover.stop_cover does not work for me either.

I also noticed that there is a delay in HA getting the status updates, so there is a little wait time before you can do a toggle.

Other than that, everything else works great.

how fast would you be getting updates in HA if i move a shutter for example; is that polling based?

I would say 2-3 seconds. For example, I have an automation that is done when the window opens/shuts, and it usually takes 2-3 seconds for the automation to kick off after the event has finished.

Unsure whether it’s polling based, I believe velux active just report to home assistant when the final position is reached.

Any using alexa with VA? strange that I used to be able to say “open velux to 50%” and it was working fine. Now she responds with “I don’t know that” - Just started happening 1-2 weeks ago.

whooaaaa @saunte Thanks so much for pointing this out and make it function! Works like a charm, now I can kill all the shitty HomeKit Automations and the booleans

I’m still wishing often this system would expand and allow more features. The homekit integration for me is bare minimum for HA integration, but lots is missing. It doesn’t help that Velux is terrible with support and documentation. I can’t even find out how or where i might update the KIX300 hub to a newer version (or if there even is a new version). You also still need the Velux app for a few functions, and they haven’t added any new features to that since I got it about a year ago. Typical dissapointing, half-assed smart-home integration from a company that doesn’t understand or care enough…

1 Like