Versatile Thermostat: a full feature thermostat (energy, door/window, presence, motion, preset, ... management)

Ok, I just saw that it works when I add the AC as first underlying device and the TRV on second. Then I can switch between modes, but what I still don’t get: how can I display AC max and heating min temperature in a sort of hysteresis like shown here: New thermostat card - #13 by sholdee

Hello @fitz247 ,

The only possibiilty is that someone or a automation or something like that is setting the setpoint temperature. That turns the VTherm to manual (no preset).

You have to use two VTherm for doing that. You should not add an only AC and only Heating device in the same VTherm.

Understood. What would then be the preferred way of combining both into the same thermostat UI?

No idea because it is not possible with Vtherm and other thermostat don’t support (as far as I know) multiple device in the same thermostat.

Thanks for responding. It remains a mystery. I’ve recreated a new thermostat and will watch that!

So-I’ve recreated all the components, and re-included the thermostat with a different ID. So I’m confident of no forgotten automations etc. Same problem occurs - system is falling into manual mode. I’m using a schedule to change modes several times a day, and a virtual presence sensor to set back each mode temperature when appropriate.

From what I can observe (but not replicate with complete consistency), there are occasions where the Remotec ZTS-500US z-wave thermostat will momentarily report a previous set point after a set point change, before a second or so later correcting itself. There are also reports of this as potentially a home assistant z-wave issue (Climate setpoint glitches to unrelated number when changing setpoint · Issue #63849 · home-assistant/core · GitHub) - closed unresolved. Either way, most use-cases wouldn’t be impacted by this momentary aberration…

This of course appears to Versatile Thermostat like a manual change, and knocks the thermostat out of its automatic mode (so stuck in either the occupied or not occupied set point until the next scheduled mode change).

So in the absence of a way of having Versatile Thermostat ignore a momentary set point change, looks like I will need to dispense with relying on the presence feature for this thermostat. Oddly I have a second identical thermostat which is much more stable…presence setdowns are working fine.

I am having the problem that for AC mode, Vtherm does not use the AC-presets, but the heating presets.

For example: Boost AC 22.0°C, Boost 30°C, AC mode on
When changing to the Boost Preset, the target temp is set to 30°C.

I have filed an issue on github, maybe this can be looked into.

1 Like

I’ve been closely watching Versatile thermostat trying to debug issues with it switching to manual mode (as above), which has entailed closely watching the underlying thermostat in ZWaveJSUI.

I’ve picked up that the operating state (‘heating being applied right now’) icon is not reliably updating in the Versatile Thermostat card. The standard thermostat card, however, does accurately reflect the heating-active status. Page refresh doesn’t help. Looking at the states of the versatile thermostat climate device, I see the value “is_device_active:” appears to be aligned with the card icon, and is often incorrect.

Is this a known bug?

I’ve just recently upgraded my Versatile Thermostat after ~8 months, and now there’s a new config setting I don’t understand. Does anyone happen to know what this is for, what it does, what one should enter here? The description of the form doesn’t really explain it. What is a last seen room temperature datetime sensor? Thanks!