Victron Energy VEDirect Bluetooth

Now i testing SmartShunt

5 Likes

Great work @KinDR

Do you have a schematic available.

I have a ve direct usb cable that I’m chopping up when I get round to doing this. Is it just a case of tx to rx and vice versa, or does it need a little more?

Cheers

Hi im use only tx and gnd pin from ve.direct port

2 Likes

Nice one. Thank you

Note: if you use power from Battery pack (with stepdown for wemos) connect only TX pin NO gnd :wink: from ve.direct port

Hello KinDR

What are the other two black cables from ve.direct?
Are they needed or are they involved in something else?

Thanks a lot

I think they are +5v and ground. it should be adequate enough to power a ESP chip. I haven’t tried it but @KinDR may have done.

Hi ,

• black cables NC (RX and +3.3/+5V)
  • ve.direct port has current limit (15-20mA) it’s small for powering esp !!
  • ve.direct to esp has connected only 2 pins (TX and GND other pin it’s not connected !)
  • if you use power from Battery pack for powering esp (with stepdown for wemos) connect only TX pin NO gnd !! from ve.direct port
2 Likes

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

@ KinDR Thank you for share you work.
I installed and work very great. The good part is that the bloetooth and wi-fi work in paralel :smile: for smartshunt in my case.

I thank you​:wink::relaxed:

Hi,

Have you attempted this work on ESP32? I am guessing it should work.
Also, since ESP32 has more HW UART, does it mean we can attach multiple Victron devices (e.g. Smart shunt and MPPT) on UART to ESP32?

hi, esp8266 also has more UART, I haven’t tried it. I use one wemos for each device, some items have the same name in the ve.direct protocol, so I can’t even recommend this

I see, I will give it a try first only with 1 Mppt on ESP32 and update here

Tested with platform: ESP32 and board esp32-poe. Works simply good with MPPT/Pheonix inverter.

Wich Connector do you use at the VE.Direct port ?

That is so awesome! Thanks much for your work on that! I hope ESPHome will integrate your solution!

esp32 is 3.3v while victron communicates 5v (or am I wrong with this?) - did you use any level shifter or series resistor? or just direct wire?
I just got my first smartsolar and eager to connect yo esp32. but better safe than sorry:)
Thank You!

Correct, I used a logic level shifter 5V → 3.3V, I guess this also goes for the ESP8266.
Note however that a while ago I needed that logic shifter board really bad and therefore I removed it and hooked the ESP32 directly into the MPPT and it works. But I started to notice some tiny bit of harmless garbage values.

I think the ESP32 and most probably ESP8266 GPIO inputs are 5V tolerant but better be on the safe side and put a logic shifter.

Note that I read somewhere that not all Victron products UARTs use 5V, that you have to check for yourself

1 Like

hi, i have a smart mppt 150/35 and a smartshunt 500A on each wemos esp8266 everything runs for over a year and everything is without a level converter

2 Likes