Victron Energy VEDirect Bluetooth

@KinDR hi

Just getting round to implement this. I’ve noticed you need custom components within the ESPhome folder.

Once the esp is flashed does it still require these files? Reason I ask is I program my ESPs on my house HA build that is supervisor with ESPHome built in but in my camper I run HA on docker so no ESPhome but can add them in integrations.

Cheers

Hi
once compiled (and uploaded of course )esp is portable and does not require the source code contained in the custom_components folder to function

1 Like

VE.Direct uses 4-pin JST 2.0 PH connector.

I recently bought a victron 100/20 as in the picture

and I tried to use the custom component through esphome but I can’t find anything … How should I configure the tx port? I have to create a ve. Smart?

Update
i cange the connection to like that

and now i have this message

Hi, how do you connect ESP to mppt?
according to the log you have probably connected the wrong ve.direct cable (the connection is in the forum above)
Victron Energy VEDirect Bluetooth - #43 by KinDR

• note *

• if you use power from Battery pack for powering esp (with stepdown for wemos) connect only TX pin NO gnd !! from ve.direct port

• pins RX and 5V NC !!

1 Like

Hi all,

I just ordered the Victron SmartShunt. Do I also need the MK3-USB interface? Or can I used two wires from the VE Connect port on the shunt to connect to the GPIO on my Raspberry Pi 4?

Hi, my solution is for wemos d1 (esp8622) or esp32. wirring is described here on the forum or on my github

note : " if you use power from Battery pack for powering esp (with stepdown for wemos) connect only TX pin NO gnd !! from ve.direct port"

MK3-USB is not needed … if you use esphome and wemos

if you have questions then here in discord

Is there a reason this communicates on port 8266? ESPHome seems to not like this port. Also, it seems ESPHome doesn’t like being on the same device as Home Assistant?

As much as I understand 8266 is not a port but device name: esp8266. There is also esp32 device (board) which can be used.
In simple steps (described on KinDR github) you need to:

1. connect ESP8266 (or ESP32) board (it is separate piece of hardware)to your Victron device with the proper wiring
  2. upload the code to ESPdevice from github
  3. provided that you have HA running make sure your ESP board is integrated
    Then you can read the data in HA.

In my view it needs some technica background as it will be more challenging for someone first time exposed to HA, ESPHome or connecting cables.

@KinDR Thanks a lot for your work! I managed to get the data from a SmartShunt with your implementation. I tried with a Wemos d1 mini v3 first, but I couldn’t manage to connect to the network, I think it’s because it was a defective aliexpress clone :weary:. But with a nodemcu esp32 it worked flawlessly. I just connected the RX as you said and powered the esp with 5V from an external source (the GND from the shunt and the power source is connected anyway on another part of the circuit). Big thanks again!

I’m so glad to hear that you succeeded :wink:

Hi All, great stuff and showing results exactly as desired…but…I have a situation where the esp32 is resetting between 3-10 mins when plugged into the mppt. Only tx on mppt is connected to esp32. I have tried a couple other esp32’s but same situation. (all from same supplier so might be low quality). If anyone has experienced this and found a solution, please let me know. If not i’ll chalk it up to bad device uart ports, or some type of interference.
Thanks

Hi pls upload full log and your sketch to paste bin thx

Hi. Sorted out. It has to do with the webserver on the esp32. When leaving the web page open of the device, the esp32 did not seem to like the resources it took up and restarted. Closed the page and it kept running ok.

Hello, maybe someone can help me.
With which software can I describe the Wemos?
I use the Iobroker. Can I read the data there?

Hi all,

The available numeric sensors are:

* max_power_yesterday
* max_power_today
* yield_total
* yield_yesterday
* yield_today
* panel_voltage
* panel_power
* battery_current
* day_number
* charging_mode_id
* error_code
* tracking_mode_id
* load_current
* ac_out_voltage
* ac_out_current
* battery_voltage
* device_mode_id
* warning_code

The available text sensors are:

* charging_mode
* error
* tracking_mode
* firmware_version 
* device_type
* device_mode
* warning

Binary sensors:

* load_state
* relay_state

The available numeric sensors are:

* instanteneous_power
* time_to_go
* state_of_charge
* consumed_amp_hours
* min_battery_voltage
* max_battery_voltage
* amount_of_charged
* bmv_alarm_text
* bmv_text
* last_full_charge
* deepest_discharge
* last_discharge
* discharged_energy
* number_of_full_dis

Contact me by telegram for questions

4 Likes

Hi

Do these wires look okay for a victron smart shunt with a nodemcu ch340 esp8266 module

Also does your code work with a victron shunt

Thanks very much

Just for info - I have the Bluetooth dongle on my solar charger and cut into the data line.

Confirm both Bluetooth and esp working in tandem together, without hiccups.

Any chance you could share your config for the ESP32? I keep getting errors.