Video doorbell without cloud?

Hi. Interesting solution. But I downloaded the manual and it states that the app is mandatory. How do I find the camera url without it?

do you have the 2-way audio working in HA?

So how good is the ha integration. Does the doorbell button do anything? Is there audio ?

You need the app to set it up, but after that you can use the url to configure with motioneye, zoneminder etc. I’ve used with motioneye and zoneminder and works well with both. I just prefer motioneye. the url is this
rtsp://cameraip:554/Streaming/Channels/101
I record in my own server.

no. not possible to do 2 way integration in HA with any camera as far as I know.

I wrote this post to use the button to trigger a message/doorbell…

You cant pick up audio in HA with any camera.

Ok I will order one. But price it very high. I use Xeoma soit will probably find the camera.

1 Like

same price as ring, but you dont have to buy cloud subscription. You cant even see ring video in HASS

The need for an android phone makes that approach less ideal, as I don’t have one. I suppose I can try to get an old one just for this but that seems excessively complicated just to make a doorbell work…,

Use an android emulator in your pc. And there is an ios app.

I thought that would be the case. Hopefully HA will get this functionality at some point soon given that it is a core feature of smart homes these days…

Having looked around, I think I’m going to either a) just use an off the shelf cloud solution, most likely a Nest, or b) go full-DIY and build my own around an RPi. Haven’t quite decided yet.

I currently use a RPi Zero with camera module and then a Xiaomi wireless button and gateway. The button triggers an automation to play a chime on the gateway, pause any media I have playing and also grab a snapshot from the camera and send it to me. If I long press the the button it turns the front outside light on which is helpful when I come home late at night in an uber… drunk… :joy:

My home brew system is based off what I already had at the door tied together with home assistant via a sonoff 433mhz bridge flashed with espurna. My swann doorbell is 433mhz, when the bridge gets the button press I get a notification with a screenshot from the foscam above the door. A doorbell mp3 also plays on my google home mini (my swann doorbell receiver is a bit deaf sometimes). It’s not as fancy a system as nest or ring but was cool weekend project using stuff I already had.

I just bought one of these:

It arrived yesterday, and seems to work well so far. Ordered from TomTop but was shipped from the UK and arrived within a week.

2 Likes

I have a Raspberry Pi which pulls a photo off of my UniFi camera and sends it to me via Telegram when the button is pushed.

I used existing doorbell button and the wiring back to the transformer to connect to the Pi, but any button would work.

1 Like

Hi,

Is there a way to integrate a chime to it without HA, just in case the hub is down?

thanks
Jurgen

yes, you can trigger a standard chime. I think there’s a diagram in the manual

thanks juan,

however i did not find anything listed on the manual of this model DS-KB6403-WIP when following your link.

Did not find anything on the manual. do not know what’s im missing.

will this connect to HASS?