Visonic Powermax and Powermaster Component

Hi!

I have just updated to core-2021.6.0 and the integration failed to load. In the registry I have found this: Setup failed for visonic: Integration not found. Do you know what have happened? How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance!

Have you also updated this integration to the latest version? There must be a “version” tag in the manifest file for the integration to load so please make sure that you’re using a recent version. If you are using the latest version of the integration then capture a home assistant log file as per the wiki, upload it to pastebin/dropbox and I’ll take a look

Updated HA to 2021.6 with no issues, running the latest version of the component: 0.6.8.2

Edit: I spoke to soon, after another HA restart it does not load, here is the basic log, I can get a full log later:

2021-06-03 10:06:21 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic] ERROR Connection Lost : disconnected due to exception Same Packet for 20 times in a row
2021-06-03 10:06:26 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic]                         Calling Exception handler.
2021-06-03 10:06:57 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic] ERROR Connection Lost : disconnected due to exception Same Packet for 20 times in a row
2021-06-03 10:07:02 ERROR (MainThread) [custom_components.visonic.pyvisonic]                         Calling Exception handler.
2021-06-03 10:07:04 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Error unloading entry Alarm Panel for alarm_control_panel
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 432, in async_unload
    result = await component.async_unload_entry(hass, self)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alarm_control_panel/__init__.py", line 110, in async_unload_entry
    return await component.async_unload_entry(entry)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 181, in async_unload_entry
    raise ValueError("Config entry was never loaded!")
ValueError: Config entry was never loaded!

Edit 2: I removed the integration and readded it and now it works again, even after reboot. So sorry, I cannot reproduce it to provide the full log.
The only difference I noticed it that prior removing the integration it showed 66 devices/entities, now it shows the correct amount of 14 devices/entities.

Edit 3: It was working, but after the update to 2021.6.1 I get the error again, it works sometimes for a short while but then disconnects. Full log coming as PM if that is ok? @davesmeghead

Edit 4: After doing some more research it seems that my panel do not longer likes multiple restarts of HA.
After entering/exiting installer mode on the panel and then restarting HA I yet again get a stable PowerLink connection. Strange since my panel has not been sensitive to frequent HA restarts before HA 2021.6.

I can confirm that your log file shows the effect of multiple restarts. The panel does weird things such as sending the same message over and over again. I was about to suggest that you disable the integration (or stop HA) for an hour or two and then try again. This usually fixes things. From my own experience as I develop the integration, if I restart HA too often and too quickly then I get the same problem.

1 Like

Hi @davesmeghead

Thanks for your reply!

I have uninstalled the integration but now I can’t find it in the “Add integration” button of HA. Am I missing something??

It should be there, have you restarted Home Assistant and tried adding the integration. If it’s still not there then you have not got the custom component directory hierarchy correct.
See the wiki here

I have been using this component with my Powermaster 10 and a USR-WIFI232T module. Running great for over a year now. Regrettably, my house is pretty much in a dead spot in terms of 3G coverage, so the security company needs to install a PowerMax Ethernet module and hook it up directly to my Internet connection.

I’m pretty sure the module connects to the serial port where my USR-WIFI232T is connected now. Does anybody know if this is the case, and if there’s a way to have them both work in parallel? Will I have to give up using this integration if they install the module? Thanks!

I’m not 100% sure but I think that a few people have had success at using 2 RS232 connections on the alarm panel, but I’m not sure what panel models. Other than that, you’re correct the Powerlink3 uses the RS232 connection and most likely has to replace your WIFI232 hardware. Visonic sell a 2 RS232 module but I don’t think that can be used with the Powerlink3. If you do experiment and find out if you can use 2 RS232 connections on the panel, one for the Powerlink3 and the other for the WIFI232 then please let us know here.

EDIT: Powerlink3 for Ethernet or GSM module for cellular. Do you already have a GSM 3G module installed as the Powerlink3 may simply use the same connection?

I do have a GSM module, but it looses connection frequently due to bad coverage and the security company is not supporting it anymore. But the GSM module is plugged into the “Cellular” port. I believe the Ethernet module will be plugged into the RS232 port which cancels all access from Home Assistant. I wonder if somebody with the Ethernet module can tell us if it includes some sort of RS232 passthrough to connect the WIFI323 hardware…

Also there’s this…

Visonic Dual RS232 Module

Hi, yes that’s what I meant when I said about the 2 RS232 module.

I also remembered a previous discussion in this thread that you should read…
It starts here

and ends here

Thanks for your time. I’ll open my unit (PowerMaster 10) and see if there’s an extra RS232 connector somewhere. Also, looking at the pictures, the Powelink3.1 module has 6 extra pin connections on the side of the RS232. I wonder if someone has tested them in case they can be used for TX and RX…

Dear All,

Thank you Davesmeghead for this integration and all support you provide in this thread!

Newbie here, both in terms of Home Assistant and (especially) USB/TTL/Visonic etc.
I have downloaded and successfully installed the HA-integration, but I somehow cannot get my panel connected.

My setup:

I have read this thread, tried to connect with the PC utilizing the “hidden” scripts without any progress.
Any ideas to get me moving?

Have you read through the wiki here
The pin out of the connector: centre pin is Tx and the right (as per your picture above) is Rx
According to the hardware link in your post: White: TXD and Green: RXD
In other words, I think you have the white and green cables the wrong way around as you connect Tx to Rx and Rx to Tx.
Another thing to try, here on the wiki it says for your panel type you should set the baud rate to 38400. If that doesn’t work then try 9600.
Good luck

EDIT: this link to the wiki may also be useful

:slight_smile:

Sorry that my last post was lacking some information. Had a couple of hungry kids around :slight_smile:

Here’s my interpretation of the link (attaching the wires): It says “white RX into USB port” and “green TX out of the USB port”, hence white should be connected to the TX and the green to RX. The last instruction of the link just tells us where to attach the wires. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The things I have some concerns with are:
Baud rate
I have used 38400 so far and will test with 9600 as well.
USB path
I have actually no idea which number (x) to use in the dev/ttyUSB(x). Do you know where I can find that out?
Download code
I have tested 5650 and also another alphabetical code I found in the panel under Installation settings / Communication (which I believe to be wrong though). As I understand, this code is not critical to get the connection itself working initially(?)
Step by step

• Are there any recommendations for series of events that I must follow. For example; 1. Power off and disconnect battery from panel. 2. Connect the three wires. 3. Connect the USB to RPi. 4. Install integration in HA. 5. Restart HA server and connect battery+AC to the panel.
  • Can I see that the panel understand that it can connect to Home Assistant? When I disconnect power and battery and leave it for a while, it starts with saying that it is syncing with device. Is this just standard start up procedure or does it mean anything for the USB/TTL connection?

I’m assuming you have an HA installation using an instance of Supervisor.

I would start by trying either /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1 as the interface. Also, certainly try a baud rate of 9600. Additionally, I agree with Dave; the wires look to be reversed based upon the product info.

Failing these things, check and see if the proper driver is loaded for your system. You should look in the Hosts log under Supervisor > System for something similar to this:

usb 1-3: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

If doesn’t show USBx, try what’s shown.

FYI, the chipset for your device is a PL2302 (vs the cp210x shown in my example).

Finally got it working! The baud rate solved this for me as I had to use 9600 instead of 38400. The wiring was ok though.

Thanks!!

1 Like

As promised a few weeks ago I have created a new forum post/thread for this Integration.
You can find it here

As an aside, I have also posted a new release 0.6.9.0 to Github.

I am therefore closing this thread and will not respond to any further posts here.
Please post problems and comments in the new thread.

To everyone that has helped in the development of this Integration I thankyou very much. Most of the posts in this thread over the past few months have been installation problems or for minor bug fixes. I regard it as now being in a maintenance phase rather than development and as such have created a new thread so new users do not have to read 3 years of posts. Most (all?) of the relevant information from this 3 year thread is now contained in the wiki.

:slight_smile:

Closed at Dave’s request.