Vizio SmartCast

I’m having issues with the commands when my TV is off, did you run into that at all? The commands work great while its on, but I can’t seem to turn it on, or get power state when its off.

I haven’t run into that problem, but I would suspect maybe it’s related to the power save mode. I have mine set to “quick start” instead of the Eco mode.

Yep that was it. I was on Eco and changing to quick start fixed my issue. Thanks!

Thank you for the replay ill give it a shot tomorrow after work and let you know how it goes

it worked!! thank you for your help

This is great, working on figuring out a way to integrate volume control as well. I have the command working, but I need to find a way to implement the curl command into HASS for volume up / volume down.

I posted a request under Feature Requests for a Vizio SmartCast component. Hopefully someone will pick it up and create a native component :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice find, hope someone figures it out

Greetings, nise finding, was struggling with CEC, was able to port to direct component now. I didn’t submit pull request yet, maybe will have some time later this week. Meanwhile you can use this custom component

configuration is simple

- platform: vizio
    host: IP
    access_token: token
    name: Vizio TV Main

Instructions how to get IP and token are here

Was finally able to finish my RPi/Librespot + Spotify setup. Without unpredicted CEC it’s so much better.

3 Likes

I think I may wait on the PR but this is tempting. Nice work - thanks!

Just tested it out with my TV and it’s working great! Thanks for your work. Looking forward to it being an official component

Hi Everyone,
Great finding. Can some one please mention what are the exact Vizio TV models it worked on ?
Did it work on the Vizio D-Series/ E-Series / M-Series / P-Series ?

Thanks a lot,
Vadim L.

I was using a 2016 M-Series for my setup, which is also working great with the official component that is out now

1 Like

How much farther will this have to go so new people like myself who are using Hass.io can add Vizio as a component? We aren’t able to do any command line stuff except reboot just about.

There is an official component now, no longer need to do this command line stuff

So, very interested in trying this out but I just moved to Hass.io and I thought when using that (Hass.io) we no longer have access to do pip3 install which is required by the Vizio integration. Anyone know a way around this?

This is my biggest head ache with hass.io. 700+ components on the website and no way to know if the are hass.io compatible. How about a simple table view with checkmarks for hass.io compatibility. I think many in the home assistant community are not yet familiar with hass.io, or they think it is just a new interface. If you ask, they will say “There’s a component for that” and when you look it up, you need a cli masters degree.

Why don’t you suggest this in a PM to Fabaff and Robbie? :wink:

1 Like

For you Hass.io users like me wanting to use this component.

I was thinking about this today at work and realized that the pyvizio component doesn’t really do anything but manage the paring process and once you have your authorization token it’s good for anyplace you want to use it. So I grabbed a spare Raspberry Pi, installed pyvizio, and followed the component instructions to get the token. Then I just plugged the Vizio TV’s IP address and the token I got from my 2nd Pi into the config file on my Hass.io primary Pi, restarted and Bob’s your uncle!

Then I went ahead and built a IFTTT applet connecting my google assistant (listening for “turn off the boob tube”) to a webhook and replaced /switch/turn_off from the examples with /media_player/turn_off it works great. No more using the remote to turn off the TV after casting. Happy days.

1 Like

thanks for sharing i follow the paring process but i get error on this line
pip3 install -I .
i get the following error i hope you can help

Directory '.' is not installable. File 'setup.py' not found.
Storing debug log for failure in /root/.pip/pip.log