VM box and HA take 2 (seeking help)

I can only agree with RJ , VMware, if you using(accepting) windows( Prime reason for rebooting HA, as Windows as all knows like/want to reboot your machine, too often) anyway, i have tried VM in Linux and in ProxMox , … most stable and easy to deal with, backup etc, is VMware , and you have no problems with bridging USB and Bluetooth

Note: Best backup is to make a Routine out of Windows “monthly” Reboot, copy/transfer your entire VM folder, ha’s backup works fine for “rollback” after an update that didn’t play along right with your ha-setup, and the “monthly” copy, is just soo easy to “swap” with db intact, if you aint have “external” such

Note 2: FWIW i suggest you have install VMware, on a separate disk/partition, and in specific you VM-image, for some reason i don’t like to have such on same disk as OS, or disk/partitions used by other applications

And with your hardware setup, it’s ridicules to to only run a generic x86-64

Yeah I missed the processor and ram specs in the picture that was posted (just thought it was an old desktop)

It would be a waste to just use a machine like that only for Home Assistant.

I would at least move away from Windows though.

Yeah even thou im an “old” microsoft engineer i can agree on your last statement , thou past month(and before also) i’ve tried out other options and you’ll never get away from reboots and maintenance, and Windows is actually a very stable, easy, and easy maintained platform.

I tried to get a Generic x86-64 on a few devices ( to old ) , 1 was without uefi, 1 was 32bit( and obvious no uefi ) 1st one is “on hold” as i did find a Topic with a great guide , but same time i was looking at total power consumption , if i should have 2-3 different ( some old) device running etc
Windows have now become quite good at “resource keeping” , so neither Linux nor Proxmox( i know ,linux) can claim they are better( lower power consumption )
But yes spite the fact that i have Microsoft background, and all years have been “struggling” with Linux/Unix “idealists” persuading them that Microsoft has a good files-safety, security, are flexible etc. it still bothers me the way they have turned ( with no options to a “variant” install-media ) , there are so much S*** loaded by default now a days, but if you know your windows, and what you use it for, you can reduce the “footprint” alot, i.e it still doesn’t need more than 1GB ram

@ServiceXp

It seems WMWare is a paid VM program or it needs to be the pro version, correct? when i try to download and use the non-commercial license it does not have the option to install HA. I am confused and lost when it come to VM’s. any help or direction is greatly appreciated.

Hello Tim.

is desktop is my CADD 3 model station (Desktop) so I do need windows and another program. I was going to use this desktop to test HA and it’s stability before buying an old laptop and installing HA using your suggestion (Generic x86-64).

thank you for your knowledge sharing.

Negative. You can download and use VMWare Player for free.

Here is a play-by play instructional on how to get HA up and running on VMWare Player.

for some reason I can’t log on using web “htpp://homeassistant.local:8123”

the ha-console shows that you ain’t got an IP number … and obvious can there be many reason for this , you could try to first restart HA, thou if you are familiar with the ha-console, you could try to restart NET.
i.e start with typing ( net inf ) then ( net help ) etc.etc.

EDIT: a common case could be net-inf shows that ipv4 is disabled “method” , so you need to set “method to auto”, then net-restart

how do I set “method to auto”

what is the command (I type) clearly I have no idea about HA-console nor command line.

Neither had i the first time … thats why i wrote (and as you clearly see ( – help ) u can use that after every “command” i.e., net --help , net info --help , net update --help , net update , xxx what ever net-interface you have
So it’s net update you first have to learn , And i don’t click again on your picture … you should realyy not post such a big picture, in this case it would have been appropriate with 2 small, as i obviously can’t see whats in your “console” unless i click your picture, NOT only ones/ still can’t see, because its to blurry, so i have to "Expand it /Zomme it, so it fill the f…screen and WAY out of screen

Apologies, as I am not good with computers.

ipv4 method is shown as “Disable”

next step I tried and type" network update"
the last command I should type is what?
“network update–ipv4-method auto” does not seem to work. I am so lost in the command line…

net update enp2s1 --ipv4-method auto

when i type “net update enp2s1 --ipv4-method auto” there is an

Error: Can’t create config and active enp2s1: connection ‘Supervisor enp2s1’ is not availiable on device emp2s1 because device has no carrier.

To make a loooong story short, i noticed you are now in a VMware 17, so to me it seems you have no idea, of what you are “dealing with” , whether your ha, is correct installed in your etc.

Either start from scratch again ( as i assume you haven’t got anywhere with your “new” test installation)
If you should again experience same issues!, then please provide details in regards to your installation, i.e VMware settings/HA-media/ etc

And after you “in detail” have followed the installation procedure for your ha-VMware-image, and it doesn’t get an IP-number, or / and you don’t find time to “go through” the options available in ha-console … Then Ask your Body, whether how your network works, etc. etc. this post and your initial request in Now-22, just tell me, you are “fumbling” in the dark ( sorry for my wording) , 5 days ago you were running in VM Box, which you were not familiar with, Now you are on VMware, which you are not familiar with, installing HA, which you are not familiar with …
1 Day ago RJ suggested you VMware, so how did the installation of HA went ? , beside it wont enable your network-interface.

Did you followed the install procedure in RJ’s link ? , or the official install procedure ?

Please have another look at above link , it’s for VMware player 16 / thou it might be the same for 17 , i wouldn’t bet on it ( i just a week ago installed VMware 16, on another Device ) … AS VMware 17 doesn’t currently seems to be a “good” choice

So your best choice ( if you ain’t got your “body” around, is to " try again " install VMware 16 Player, download correct ha-media, make sure you follow the install procedure ( in details ) tick the boxes in pics etc etc.

AND ofcause make sure you use Ethernet( working connection ), and give ha time for the install/update procedure, before you continue … IF you again should encounter same situation ( which i doubt ) , then you provide the details of you VM settings ( for the ha-instance ) and the start-up ( console ) ,

PS: Im not sure i even wanna know why your VMware 17 , ha instance is named “Ubuntu for HA”

Hello Boheme61.

you are 100% dead on. I have no knowledge of HA installation onto VM and yes I am fumbling around in the dark.

1st take My buddy help me install ha onto the WM box which I ran into an issue (not stable due to the laptop being too old for the task). Then I tried using the same laptop to install genetic x 86-64 to find out again the laptop is not up for the task.

I decided to install HA-VM on my Cadd desktop. This time all I know was to follow the youtube video that use VMbox. I follow the video and click on it whenever the video tells me to click (blindly clicking).

later Rj made a comment and provided the links to Wmware and step by step. when i click on the WMware the version 17 came up. I had NO idea how to DL version 16. I assumed that ver 17 will be the same as ver16.

I follow the step-by-step carefully and here I am. HA was able to show up on the banner but ipv4 method is “disabled”.

I am thankful that people here are super patient and helpful. I am grateful for all of your help. your wording is honest and straight to the point. I understand that trying to help a blind person (me) in this journey takes patients and you are doing a wonderful job. I don’t get offended when others are knowledge sharing and helping for FREE.

:slight_smile: , i’ve ( and many others ) have been down the same trail, (testing, fumbling around)

1. The page( install instruction RJ linked to is OLD, outdated, Use the official Channels( and recommendations.
    … I.E min 2GB ram, Min 2 CPU’s, Min 32GB Disk
    And you also have to make sure that in the VMware settings for your ha-image, “Bridging Network”, AND don’t enable WIFI, if you are installing HA on a Wired- Machine

2. In regards to 16 vs 17 maybe it’s just my opinion, but i ran into problems trying out 17, so i downloaded 16 ( which i have been used earlier,for awhile )

answer to item 1- i give the VM 4GRam, 2 CPU and 40 G Disk.

I recalled “bridging network” was enable.

I dont recalled the setting for WIFI. I will check when I am home.

THANK YOU SO MUCH…

1 Like

Just my 2 pennies. I followed the instructions here:-

And run HAOS inside the virtualbox VM with no issues at all. This is running on a pretty old Dell optiplex 3050 with an i5-7500t. As we all know, it can also run on a pi, which has a fraction of the processing power, so that laptop must have been really ancient if it didnt have the sufficient resources.

this was the spec of the old laptop. I have no idea how close is it to your “pretty old Dell optiplex 3050 with an i5-7500t.”

Not sure how that laptop would fair against a pi, but thats seriously old.