Wake Up Alarm Panel

Still pretty new but Imma keep trying at it. So I found the perfect alarm panel for my light fade in. Lorentz’ excellent work here Phillips Hue Wakeup Light with fade-in .

Now I migrated all the code to the appropriate pages and it’s all passing config and now I feel like an idiot for even asking cause I feel like it’s so simple.

How do I make the entity card? Is it a custom card should I be following these instructions?

The entity card is not a custom card. It is one of the standard more basic ones. Do you build your interface graphically or through yaml files?

The docs for the entity card:

Yaml files. It’s written up in configuration, groups and scripts.

Configuration.yaml

- alias: 'WakeUp Light Bedroom'
  hide_entity: True
  trigger:
      platform: template
      value_template: '{{ states.sensor.time.state == states.sensor.wakeup_start_time_lights.state }}'
  condition:
    condition: and
    conditions:
      - condition: state
        entity_id: input_boolean.wakeup
        state: 'on'
      - condition: or
        conditions:
          - condition: state
            entity_id: input_boolean.wakeup_weekends
            state: 'on'
          - condition: time
            weekday:
              - mon
              - tue
              - wed
              - thu
              - fri

The script section:

wakeup_bedroom:
    alias: 'Wakeup lighting, smooth transition'
    sequence:
      - service: light.turn_on
        data_template:
          entity_id: light.soverom
          brightness: 1
          kelvin: 1000
      - delay:
          seconds: 1
        data_template:
          brightness: 64
          kelvin: 2000
          transition: '{{ (( states.input_number.wakeup_duration.state | float * 60 / 4 )| round ) | int }}'
      - delay: '00:00:{{ (( states.input_number.wakeup_duration.state | float * 60 / 4 )| round ) | int }}'
        data_template:
          brightness: 128
          kelvin: 3000
          transition: '{{ (( states.input_number.wakeup_duration.state | float * 60 / 4 )| round ) | int }}'
      - delay: '00:00:{{ (( states.input_number.wakeup_duration.state | float * 60 / 4 )| round ) | int }}'
        data_template:
          brightness: 191
          kelvin: 4000
        data_template:
          brightness: 255
          kelvin: 5000

And the group

wakeuplight:
  name: Wakeup Light
  control: hidden
  entities:
    - sensor.wakeup_alarm_time
    - sensor.wakeup_start_time_lights
    - sensor.wakeup_fadein_duration
    - input_number.wakeup_hour
    - input_number.wakeup_minutes
    - input_number.wakeup_duration
    - input_boolean.wakeup
    - input_boolean.wakeup_weekends

So to reiterate I’m still very new to home Assistant so I crib the code from Lorentz’ post and did my best to fit it into my own set up. I made sure everything passes check config but I’m still not super certain how to get the card up and running on Lovelace

The automations and script that you share is the back end were all of the logic is done. There are 2 ways to build the UI the yaml files and from the UI. The UI is, if you are new, the default (configured from the “website” that is your home assistant interface).

(Before lovelace groups were important for the UI I think your group do not serve any purpose any longer.)

To modify it from yaml files your config must include:

lovelace:
  mode: yaml

And then you modify the “ui-lovelace.yaml” file.

Then you create your entity card as:

type: entities
title: Entities card sample
show_header_toggle: true
entities:
  - entity: alarm_control_panel.alarm
    name: Alarm Panel
  - device_tracker.demo_paulus
  - switch.decorative_lights
  - group.all_lights
  - group.all_locks

See a video of how to edit the UI here:

Hey it’s working!

Sort of?

it pops up on the HA Android App (though I have yet to see if it actually triggers the automation) but the card isn’t showing up on my overview or even on another phone connected to HA via the Android App.

That looks like the old UI. It gets auto generated based on groups, entitites and the customization file. How does your UI-lovelace.yaml file look like?

How does you overview look like? Can you printscreen the entire view from a browser.

Ah , I see.

Well in that case it’s not working. I’m not working off a ui-lovelace.yaml file right now (was getting a blank overview frequently). If working from the UI how would I build the Wake Up Alarm Panel?

Cheers and thank you!

I have never used the UI for configuration but take a look at this youtube guide.

Here’s a detailed n00b guide for setting up the lovelace card:)

Step 1:

In the upper right corner there you should have this three dotted button. Press it.

(I’ve made a new view named “WAKEUP” for this guide).

wake1

Step 2:

Select “Configure UI”.

wake2

Step 3:

Add a new card by pressing the “+” icon.

wake3

Step 4:

Select “ENTITIES”.

Step 5:

Build the card as shown here. You may have different entity names. Press save when finished.

You are my personal hero!

Thanks! Also this is so starting to make sense now. The input booleans I put into the config is put into the backend of the lovelace card.

And the journey continues! Next up ADB to my Android nVidia Shield for light automation with media play

No problem:)

Yes, the lovelace card / frontend is just a visual representation of entities. There is no logic in the card itself. In ny original post I used a group to display the input parameters, but now we can use the lovelace card.