I’m not sure the best way to post and solve my problems/concerns.
We have been working on a forever project of converting an old industrial building to a residential loft style residence - forever as in year 4 and we are still 1 or more years out.
I’ve settled on HA as the system to use, but I can’t find wall box devices that do what I think I want them to do.
Being an huge open plan space, we will have at least two ‘tabletop’ touch screens for control.
Beyond that, I think we will only 5 wall stations.
All of the lighting currently designed will be DMX controlled, so there will be no need for local wall box switches. There will most likely be a dedicated backend lighting system to generate the DMX and control the lights. It will only need instructions to recall the scenes.
I have found several devices that have a great look, but I can’t for the life of me figure out if they will work with HA, or if they will only work in a limited manner.
I think the main needs are going to be:
- Programmable display so that the default ‘buttons’ show up - since these will be primarily be used as light switch controls
- Ideally light sensor/motion sensor to control screen brightness and perhaps automate turning lights on.
- Hard buttons are also desirable for dedicated functions.
- Clean finished looking, preferably flush install.
We need to start pulling wires for these devices and I’d rather only have POE devices, but we can run whatever we need.
Things I know:
- Parents have an Elan system - we hate it, so many layers to just do simple things.
I am sure it could be better/easier, but needs better programming - and that’s a closed system.
- We also have extensive experience with Lutron and the only product we ever loved (vierti dimmers) are discontinued (replaced with the Grafik T style and not as good) - but they were not controllable anyway.
- We are not interested in any of the big names> C4, Elan, Savant, Crestron, etc - Can’t be locked out of fixing our own system. We have friends that program those and never impressed (see Elan above).
Am I missing something?
Are there ‘off-the-shelf’ options that will integrate and get us the flexibility I am looking for?
And yes - I have spent days and hours over the last 3 years trying to figure this out, but I can’t wait any longer!