Wall Mounted Dashboard (now known as HADashboard)

After some testing, I realised that Docker wasn’t my thing since it took away so much of the customisability. Or rather, rebuilding every time I made some changes just wasn’t feasible, it took 1-2 hours each time, and that just didn’t cut it.

Now I’ve got my 24 hr clock and nice colours on the dashboards and everyone is happy!
Here’s the main dashboard, on a borrowed iPad at the moment. The finished one will be slightly different and I’m looking at getting a Nexus 7 to run it at so I can get a few more widgets in on screen.

Here’s the mini-dashboard in the kitchen, with important stuff such as turning off the motion triggered entrance dimmer so we can get ready for school without the lights dimming, time and the coffee maker switch:

3 Likes

I love this idea, although my wife probably won’t like tables mounted to the wall throughout the house but oh well.

I have a few questions to start off. This can be run on Docker on the same raspi machine that HASS is currently running? I’ve tried to install Docker on my Raspi using docker build -f Docker-raspi/Dockerfile -t hadashboard and I get a a bash docker error: command not found. Am I missing a step?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions once I get up and running

Thanks!

Did you install the base docker software?

I was able to get it started. I had to get docker installed first before trying to install the Hadashboard.

It’s currently running now, I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions afterwards.

Great - happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability:)

1 Like

I think I was able to install everything but I’m unsure of the directions " copy the ha_conf.rb.example file to ha_conf.rb" I was able to find the .example file in a different location but unable to find the ha_conf.rb file. Am I supposed to be able to find the conf.rb file or did I need to create it?

This could be related to the conf.rb file but when I run dashing start then go to localhost:3030 I get a error message of This site can’t be reached.

Thanks,

you create it, that way you always have the example to reference.

I re-ran the install process in case I missed something last night and it ran through without any errors. The only thing that I had to do was run gen installer bundle as sudo, will this cause issues?

When I tired localhost:3030 I still get the below message.

Are you running the browser on the same device as the same device as HADashboard? If not, you’d be using the device’s IP or hostname instead of localhost.

I’m trying to run HADashboard on different a device but same network. HASS and the HADashboard are on the same device. I’ve tried the raspi that runs HASS’ IP address with the :3030 port.

Could there be additional configuration that is needed?

The URL should be the IP address of the device running HADashboard and the port. If you haven’t changed the default port it should be :3030.

I am running HADashboard on my RPi at 192.168.1.181 so when I want to look at the dash (named mydash.erb) I open a browser to:

http://192.168.1.181:3030/mydash.erb

Looks like I’m getting the same result. I did notice that when I run docker ps -a the status shows as exited for however many seconds it’s been since I started to run the docker.

I’m also getting an error when trying to run dashing start.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with Docker. You may want to post a question in Third Party with HADashboard in the title. I’m sure Andrew can help you.

For what it is worth, I personally was never able to make docker work.

That’s a bummer…I was thinking it was a requirement. So do I just start at the second step to complete?

edit: I’ve tried running it outside of Docker and getthe same results. I’m not sure why I’m getting that error message.

Got it working on unRAID!

Thanks for starting it @jcreynolds all you need is to add the proper paths, These worked for me.

For the location of .rb files ha_conf.rb and settins.rb

/mnt/cache/appdata/hadashboard/lib/```

dashboard location needed to manually add the layout.erb file also
```/usr/src/app/dashboards/
/mnt/cache/appdata/hadashboard/dashboards/```

push.cfg and push log (remember to set location to log and dashboards inside of push.cfg)
```/hapush/
/mnt/cache/appdata/hadashboard/hapush/ ```

also for push to work I needed the settings as follows:
```dash_host = "127.0.0.1:3030"
dash_dir = "/usr/src/app/dashboards/"
logfile = "/hapush/hapush.log"```

I set the Docker to Host mode not bridged but bridged should work if you specify the ports.

Hope this helps @jcreynolds do you know how to make the Docker Pull straight from the source github so updates are at the pace of development not when you update the docker (pull)?

Good work @DrJeff, I suppose that is our next step. Take a look at this: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-headphones/blob/master/root/etc/cont-init.d/30-install

Come on man! I’m lazy don’t you wanna do that. :cry:

I’ll look into that next week (but waiting for you to do it first).

Let me get mine up and working using your steps then I will begin working on being able to pull the project from github. rather than doing the cloning manually.

I get what I’ve always have gotten: /bin/sh: 1:

/app/hapush/hapush.py: Permission denied