Wall Mounted Dashboard (now known as HADashboard)

Got that resolved and docker is up and running. Now to pull files from github automatically.

Hey guzs i am still strzing to get the webcam widged ruunningā€¦ i dont have a password in hass so i dunno how to configureā€¦ is there someone with same setting?

HELP!!!

Dashing is not longer supported and I am having nothing but heartburn in trying to set it up because the version of Ruby required is too old. Can we get a version of this that works with the fork of Dashing called Smashing?

Iā€™ll take a look at Smashing - thanks. There don;t seem to be any strong dependencies on ruby versions so try changing the Gemfile to your current version and it should work fine.

changing the gem file to the current version? how?

edit the gemfile and change the line that says the ruby version to the one you want.

1 Like

Not being that knowledgeable with ruby gems, I am clueless as to what needs to be changed. I also was unable to install dashing on raspbian jesse. While this dashboard looks interesting, if it is going to work, we need to be able to install in on current platforms.

i had a clean raspberry, installed jessie and then i installed hadashboard.
i got a few errors while installing, but with a little help from here i got it running.

Many have done so - we are willing to help if you can explain what issues you are having so we can help.

FWIW! I developed it I Raspian Jessie.

source 'https://rubygems.org'
#ruby "2.3.1"   <----- Modify this to the version of Ruby you have, then run bundle.

gem 'dashing'
gem 'thor'
gem 'nokogiri'
gem 'htmlentities'

# REST
gem 'unirest'
# JSON
gem 'json'

# Database
gem 'data_mapper'

# Development
group :development do
	gem 'dm-sqlite-adapter'
end

# Production
#group :production do
#	gem 'dm-postgres-adapter'
#end

First of all, thank you for all the work you collectively have put into this post - a great help to newbies like me who are trying to build up a good understanding :slight_smile:

I have read through the post which has been great in helping me get HADashboard up and running but I am stuck at the final hurdle - hapush. Apologies if it has already been posted above but there are 590 posts so far and search didā€™t throw anything up.

I get the following error and am not sure what to do nowā€¦

pi@raspberrypi:~/hadashboard/hapush $ ./hapush.py hapush.cfg
2016-11-14 20:19:29,826 INFO Reading dashboard: /home/pi/hadashboard/dashboards/example.erb
2016-11-14 20:19:29,833 INFO Reading dashboard: /home/pi/hadashboard/dashboards/main.erb
2016-11-14 20:19:29,857 CRITICAL Unexpected error:
2016-11-14 20:19:29,857 CRITICAL ------------------------------------------------------------
2016-11-14 20:19:29,859 CRITICAL Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./hapush.py", line 265, in run
    for msg in messages:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/sseclient.py", line 64, in __next__
    self.buf += nextline
TypeError: Can't convert 'bytes' object to str implicitly

2016-11-14 20:19:29,859 CRITICAL ------------------------------------------------------------
2016-11-14 20:19:34,892 CRITICAL Unexpected error:
2016-11-14 20:19:34,893 CRITICAL ------------------------------------------------------------
2016-11-14 20:19:34,894 CRITICAL Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./hapush.py", line 265, in run
    for msg in messages:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/sseclient.py", line 64, in __next__
    self.buf += nextline
TypeError: Can't convert 'bytes' object to str implicitly

My setup is a RPi3, all in one HA install and then a manual install of HADashboard (with the help from @BarryHampants post above)

Got it installed after adding ruby-dev and libsqlite to the installation.

@jcreynolds Uh Oh! I updated the docker, Had to enter the the change manually from Jcreynolds/hadashboard to Jcreynolds/docker-hadashboard, but on restart of docker it exits with

`
Any Ideas? Looks like a Ruby thing?

just to tease.
code from these 3 NEW widgets is coming soon.

6 Likes

I finally figured out what the issue was. The config.ru file for my install was located in the lib directory and it should be in the main hadashboard directory. Once the config.ru file was created it started right up.

Now on to development!

I looked through the thread and wasnā€™t able to find the answer. How does my dashboard called ā€œmain.erbā€ or if I called it something different, know where my HASS is located? I can make name changes to my main.erb and it reflects correctly but Iā€™m not getting my HASS values for temp, etc.

edit: do you have to have Putty running constantly for Hadhasboard to be running?

Hope that makes sense.

@ReneTode New user here, I am wondering what component you are using to be able to get a value for ā€œLight Outsideā€? Is this part of a weather module? Thanks

@Jtmoore81 hapush tells your dashing the values from HA and you need to set the ip in the hapush.cfg

@berniebl the light outside it a new widget i made.
I will post the code from that tonight on the forum here. as well as how to implement it.

@ReneTode I was able to get it working, I was more interest on how it knew that my main.erb was my dashboard. What happens if I call the dashboard something else other than main. For example, if I wanted to have several dashboards throughout the house and each has their own configuration how do the non ā€œmain.erbā€ dashboards know to connect to my HASS.

the program behind HAdashboard looks in the directory where your main.erb is.
every .erb file you place there will be used as dashboard.

so you can have as many dashboards as you like with every name you like. just place them in the same dir.