Wall mounted touchscreen

Just wanted to share one of the five touchscreens I installed around the house per my wife’'s request.

I bought five quad core tablets at US$15 a piece, ditched the batteries and permanently soldered the adapters to the boards before mounting them to the walls.

Wife insisted on them since not everyone has there mobiles or tablets with them around the house at all times.

This is what it looks like in the kitchen.

Hope you like it.

20 Likes

Nice, where did you get those tablets so cheap? What resolution are they? I’m similar in that I have a tablet on a stand in the kitchen which auto-switches on the screen when motion is detected, the only thing I’d like is a higher rest/larger tablet as it’s a little small.

These have resolution is 1024 x 768. Was through an inventory action.

This is awesome and similar to what I have been trying to do for awhile. It finally seems a reality now that I discovered HA! Are you running in kiosk mode or something? Just wondering if you are simply staying in full screen mode in Chrome or if you have a better way.

Full screen in Chrome works just fine for me. Desktop app link which I clicked once weeks ago and has been running since

Here it is running full screen on my Note (Android) and Windows (top right screen) both Chrome.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. So glad to see this as I saw HA in a LifeHacker article and saw it as the end point to what I have been trying to do all along - unify the smart home into a wall mounted interface.

1 Like

I’ve tried a couple of ways including immersive mode on a rooted tablet and a few different immersive mode apps on a non rooted tablet and I can’t seem to get it to look like yours does, namely without any tabs.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious, but if anyone has any ideas… well, I’d sure be grateful!

This is what you should do

https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/android/

1 Like

Augh! The funny thing is that I actually did this for accessing it later on both tablets, but like a noob I kept testing it in a regular browser window… Thanks for your patience - I just ran it and it works perfect.

<runs over to other tablet, shaking head and laughing>

In a room I renovated recently I installed some Aeotech touch switches alongside an Official Raspberry Pi screen. It’s not mounted yet, but I think it does a pretty good job.

Quite a cheap option that has the potential to add so much to the room.

3 Likes

Sweet setup! I was intending to use a Nexus 7, but it will have be easily removable as it is also going to be my Phantom 3 display, if the weather ever stabilizes enough for me to get airborn.

I’m thinking of building a wooden easel/shelf with an embedded Qi charger so it’s nice and easy to remove.

Yeah portability would be good. With my setup, I’m actually powering the screen and the Pi off USB battery packs connected to the mains. When there’s a power cut, the Pi detects this by noticing the lack of an internet connection and safely shuts down. I’m hoping that will stop the SD card corrupting to easily and make it a more sustainable solution.

I think a mounting bracket with incorporated power adapter would be the best bet. For the purposes of HA, I kinda like the permanent fixtures better, and if I want to do something on the go I turn to my phone or ipad.

1 Like

This is great !

FYI I’ve just linked this thread on the Home Assistant twitter.

3 Likes

What screen is this?

It’s the official Raspberry Pi screen. It’s perfect for a project like this, not to small and mountable.

I was going to go for the Pi screens as well but the tablets where bigger and cheaper.

Glad you like it. Have a few more projects I will share later.

Change your password dude. Your browser exposes it in your Pi Screen.

Hmm whoops. I’ll fix that

Just revived my old HP touchpad from the dead and put Android 5.1 on it and it’s running in test mode as my HA panel… once I finish ironing out the bugs and getting things situated, I’ll post mine.