Wall mounted touchscreen

How do you manage to rotate a dashboard under Debian? Only via browser mod? I personally do not like a static display, hence the question
Don’t know any browser tools that can do that

Do you mean you want to rotate the screen between landscape and portrait?

No, I meant the automatic switching between the individual views, to achieve the same as in Fully Kiosk Browser you need a plugin or browser extension to switch automatically between the individual views.

Thanks for the information.

Could you elaborate on what is the issue with the RPI to replace it by the NUC?
Are you hosting HA on exacly the same machine, to which the touchscreen is connected?

Is everything as fluent as one is used to while using a state of the art tablet?

I planned to start with a RPI connected to the touchscreen. I want to place a NUC in my serverrack, which is 10-15m away from the touchscreen, so connecting it via HDMI and USB could be challenging.

Thanks!

I’m using two nucs … one runs my HA (and other stuff) and another one runs the display.

I tried the RPI route but its just too slow. Far away from modern android tablets. I found a decent priced nuc (9th generation) on ebay that archives tablet-style performance on my display.

Don’t try RPI for 24" UI

Jkw

Got it, thanks!

Any idea what is the limiting factor of the RPI? This leads me to the question by being lost in what are my requirements for the NUC.

My intention is to start by switching HA (with not too many automations) from my RPI4 to the NUC and use the same device for the screen. If I experience limitations, I may top up with a second NUC in future.

Requirements:
Processor: I heard Celeron is quite weak, so should I go for i3, i5 or i7?
RAM: I guess 8GB should be enough for the start but can be upgraded quite easyly.
Graphics: Any major differences here on the units available?

Any idea is appreciated - thanks!

1 Like

No one ever got fired for buying too much ram. Get 16gb.

1 Like

I wanted to share this with everyone as this meets my wife approval factor as she wants the tablets removable now that we have had ours for a few years.

Awesome kit for mounting tablets for HA

NOTE: This appears to be Magsafe which is generally thought of as an Apple feature, but this will work with Android tablets that use Qi as well from my research. I have no tested this out yet though.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information.

I am looking for a good touchpanel with 27" - 32", IPS and Antiglare/Anti Fingerprint coating, which I can mount inside a wall.
Following your advive for Iiyama there is unfortunately no such device.

I need to find a tradoff between VA panel with Antiglare or IPS without any coating.
My gutt feeling heads for the “TF2738MSC-B2” with IPS, but without any caoting.
Do you have any comments on my decision or propose an alternatice product?

EDIT: If I get rid of the hard requirement of a Iiyama product, the Philips 242B1TFL might be an alternative. It is slighly smaller (still 24" should be enough) but has IPS panel as well as Antiglare.
The lower price of 250€ it nice of cource, but shuold not be the major factor.
Unfortunately I cannot find any product review and the availability is quite limited (however possible), which appears suspicious to me.

Your comments on that is highly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi JKW,

I want to do something similar with a ilyama Prolite 2415 to replace an old “EisBär” with HA.
How did you fix the monitor on the wall???
Grettings Matthias

Screws :wink:

Removed the screen, mounted the back, connected the screen again

Jkw

1 Like

Thank you for the fast answer.
I am looking for something with an easier possibility to revise if necessary.
I heard from a solution with magnets, but do not remember where.

By the way. I use an odroid N2+ for HA and thought about a raspy 4b for the screen.
You said, a raspy was to slow for the large screen.
What is your exact configuration. I know a nut 9, but which one exactly?
Matthias

All monitors or TVs should have a VESA mount. :slight_smile: There are available in various settings.

See here (german and english):

https://www.vesa-standard.de/

EDIT: the monitor you mentioned has a 100x100 VESA mount :wink:

Thank you Patrick, but I know that.
The idea of magnets (additionally to a VESA mount) is that the monitor is flat on the wall.
With most VESA mounts, there is a small gap between monitor an wall; that I don’t want.

Yeah, that might a problem then… :frowning: :rofl:

I have the same issue with my tablets, the only thing I came up with, was to make some kind of frame around it. With my hallway tablet, I “simply” doubled the side wall of the wardrobe and cut out the needed space for the tablet… But that’s a lot of work to hide one small gap, I can assure you. :rofl: But it has the advantage, that I could hide my cables behind that as well.

Why you dont fit a Vesa Mount? Look at my picture, i have a vesa Mount and it’s possible to rotate that mount

My plan (not tested yet) is to cut a hole in the wall to fit the VESA mount as well as the screen backpart (see picture below) in.

Backpart:
Screenshot 2023-06-02 172201

I plan to use this mounting. Of course I will not be able to use the skrew on the downer part, but I assume this will not be required due to gravity. If the screen is mooving though, I plan to place a magnet at the middle of the mount to avoid movement away from the wall.

Hole depth in wall needs to be at least 32mm for the screen + 15 mm for the mount = 47 mm. Assumingly cutting the wall will not be as accurate, so I potentially need some 3D printed spacers between VESA mount and screen (and probably longer screws).

A lot of theory, so let’s put this into action :wink: I will report once I tried it out.

Side topic: If you have any idea how to visualize the dashboard right via HDMI at the host system feel free to share it in my separate topic . Thanks!

I would like to jump onto question asked by Brot123:
What kind of browser do you use on your Debian system and how did you manage the rotation? Do you experience any limitations?

I am wondering, if I should run Android on my NUC or if my preffered option Linux would serve my needs in portrait orientation.

I’m running chrome on Debian, rotated the screen via xserver (I think) and it works flawless… not sure what nix exactly it is

1 Like

That is similar to what I plan. I have already a big hole in the wall (app. 10 cm). It contains the old screen, an old windows XP embedded system and stuff like this. I also want to use a VESA-mount, but a more flexible one. The bigger back side of the screen will be placed in the box and I think about magnets on the backside of the screen and in the wall, to have the screen plain on the wall.
I think about an iiyama Prolite TF2415MC-B2.
My HA is on an odroid N2+, but I am not sure which pc to use for the screen.
From JKW experience a raspy seems to be so slow,
but a NUC seems overpowered for a little bit of HA dashboard and maybe some other applications.