Wall mounted touchscreen

Hi JKW, I have Pi 4 model b running home assistant, and would like to connect touch screen like yours however i have some doubts before i purchase the screen.
1- the touch will work normally once i connect the touch usb? Or it should be configured.
2- what options should i look for when purchasing the screen to make sure it is compatible with Raspberry Pi running home assistant
3- Do you know other screen brands that can work the same.

Regards
Ahmed

Just a quick comment on this, we’re using these Iiyama touchscreens in the office. They’re really really good (the IPS ones with capacitive multitouch). If I’d ever do a fullsize wall mount touchscreen, I’d definitely go with one of those. And they have quite a bit of choice too :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t believe the pi in this screen is running home assistant, just a broswer.

Any idea on prices? I can’t see any on their site?

I don’t think Iiyama sells directly to end users, you’ll have to go over a distributor. Amazon stocks them, or the usual big online PC retailers. Over here they’re between 200 - 400 Euro for the 22" to 27" ones, depending on where you buy them from.

If you’re after the 98" ones for your new interactive HA wall, then all bets are off :stuck_out_tongue:

You could check waveshares stuff

this looks great! have you possibly tried it with raspi 3b? i’ve got 3b and touch screen (fhd) so i suppose I will just test it :smiley:

I’ve started with a rpi4 but switch to a nuc due to the low performance on the UI

got you. could you please share specs of the nuc?

I’m using an der 4GB - NUC6CAYH
Jkw

1 Like

What monitor did you use and what is the white box on the back ?

Hi @droidchevere the white box only has some cables in it. For the model … Please read the thread.
Thanks, jkw

Thanks for sharing this project. Looks very interesting!
Do you have any learning you would like to share with us? Is there anything you would change in the second version (if you would build another one)?

I am planning to use a 27" or 32" touchscreen and will follow your advice for iiyama. I am currently unsure, weather I will go for the Frameless TF-series (e.g. PROLITE TF3239MSC-B1AG) or usual touch monitors like ProLite T2736MSC-B1. Any advice here?

Thanks and kindest regards!

Look here, I hung a 32 inch Touch Iiyama TF3239MSC-W1AG on the wall in portrait orientation. Believe me, if you plan to hang it upright there are plenty of tripping hazards. When you try certain Android things, there’s always something wrong.

The problem I see with the landscape mode is that you need too many cards in the Lovelace rotation due to the size of the tiles, for example the energy dashboard or multiple cameras you want to display. Too much compromise for me.
In portrait mode everything is the way I want it.

Either old webview versions that can’t be updated without intervention, then there are hurdles in the upright display of Fully Kiosk Browser because the Android images are not programmed for upright orientation.

Then you have a gray background on a reduced display… A Raspberry pi 4 with konstant Android does not run smoothly enough. My dashboard is now running a Khadas Edge 2 with enough steam and Android 12.

Have also previously tried an Orange Pi 5 (same processor and cheaper) since no portrait orientation works at all… As you can see there are a lot of stoppler stones

With a pi or khadas you could simply run linux and a browser.

Mine is running Debian, that works flawless.
I’d use a non-glossy screen in version 2 and start direct with a nuc, skip the raspberry
Jkw

How do you manage to rotate a dashboard under Debian? Only via browser mod? I personally do not like a static display, hence the question
Don’t know any browser tools that can do that

Do you mean you want to rotate the screen between landscape and portrait?

No, I meant the automatic switching between the individual views, to achieve the same as in Fully Kiosk Browser you need a plugin or browser extension to switch automatically between the individual views.

Thanks for the information.

Could you elaborate on what is the issue with the RPI to replace it by the NUC?
Are you hosting HA on exacly the same machine, to which the touchscreen is connected?

Is everything as fluent as one is used to while using a state of the art tablet?

I planned to start with a RPI connected to the touchscreen. I want to place a NUC in my serverrack, which is 10-15m away from the touchscreen, so connecting it via HDMI and USB could be challenging.

Thanks!