Wall mounted touchscreen

I’m also looking for touch screen options that can be mounted flush it near flush into a cabinet or wall. 10" up would be fine. The most important quality is that the touch itself is good. I’ve got a couple raspberry pi 7" touchscreens kicking around, and the touch experience is very very sup par.

Links to aliexpress or anywhere else would be appreciated.

https://www.waveshare.com/ :slight_smile: That’s the go-to for all your monitor needs around Pi/ESP/Arduino. If you can’t find a suitable display there, you won’t find it at all. If you need it cheaper, search for clones of the Waveshare displays. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah crikey I hit reply too soon and missed the important caveat: I’m based in the EU so need a distributor over here.

Waveshare ships all over, has anyone bought from them and shipped to the EU? Any customs / VAT surprises?

Wow, lots of options on waveshare though. How is the touch experience on those displays? Anyone have experience to share? Looking for something like a modern oled smartphone, not the mushy and soft lcds that are so common.

You can get them practically everywhere in the EU. At least in Germany they are sold by various distributors like Amazon, Makershop, Berrybase and so on. :wink: Where in Europe are you?

I like the displays from them, but can’t speak for all their prducts. I had two different capazitive touch (7’’ and 10.1’’), look and feel is good. It’s not like a high-class tablet for 1000.-€, but they are good and nice, work reliable (driver problematic) and don’t feel itschy… :smiley:

EDIT: Forgot to say, what you are talking about is the difference between resistive and capazitive displays.

1 Like

I’m in Austria! So makershop and Amazon will do (haven’t heard of berrybase, will have to check them out).

Looking now for something a little different: a small screen with non-touch controls on the bezel, sort of like this product

Anyone know of something like this?

Servus Nachbar! :slight_smile: Beste Grüsse aus dem bayerischen Voralpenland! :grinning:

Sorry, I don’t know any of such devices… What did you want to achieve with it? Maybe something DIY would be possible? I I understand it right, you just want a screen (no touch) to fit into the wall mount. Depending on what manufacturer you use, there are some blank frames available… :wink:

Griaß di :smiley:

I want to build a control panel into the bathroom and two bedrooms. Its primary use would be to control the music system (via HA of course), but could potentially perform some other HA functions too. I’d probably write some little software for it.

I had a chance to use the device I posted above, and quite liked it. Very unobtrusive. A tiny square screen like that is too small for having a nice touch interface, so the bezel buttons work pretty well.

Maybe I should just go with a slightly larger touch screen then.

2 Likes

I took delivery of one of these recently

but I have not tested it yet. Given it is android it will have a browser and can therefore control HA. It also has a built in amplifier and sepaker terminals, mains powered, RS485, a switch connection for doorbell (dunno really what that does).

1 Like

I was hoping you’d post about them, I remember you mentioned you would buy one of those. They look very nice. Please let us know your feedback when you come around trying it out !

1 Like

Hi, I’d also like to show-off my wall mounted screen:

This is basically a 24" touchscreen with a raspberry pi 4b on the back, looking like this:

most of it is in the wall, took quite a bit of modification

JKW

7 Likes

Looks great. What did you use to wrap around the monitor to make it look like a photo frame?

1 Like

That just the monitor. iiyama t2234mc
Jkw

1 Like

Here is mine:

Is 10" android tab with a custom frame to move if I need it

2 Likes

Hi, this is my wallmount dashboard

it’s an old Tab4 8" on home-made frame, running Fully Kiosk.

2 Likes

Ah, looks like you might be in Europe too, with that concrete/brick wall rather than wood and drywall like in the USA?

Did you make the whole in the wall yourself? How did you do it? Are those wires in the wall just mains power?

I want to do something very similar however I’m hesitant to make a screen-sized hole in the wall. What happens when eventually the screen needs to be updated and you cannot find one that is the exact same dimensions?

Jep, Germany. I’ve started with a grinder in the living room, but it turns out that my wife didn’t like it :wink:

So the next attempt was this cabin …

I guess if I install another screen I might have to enlarge the hole :man_shrugging:

Yep those are mains

2 Likes

:joy: love the cabin!

Do you have ethernet running to the pi too or is it wlan? Does the wlan work well surrounded by concrete on 3 sides?

I’m quite torn between the dedicated screen + external pi vs wall mounted tablet options.

An android tablet is obsolete within a few years, even if it is supported by 3rd party android distros like Lineage, you can’t count on updates there for more than 5 years or so. Also an android tablet has less options when it comes to software. I’d much rather a linux system I can ssh into and setup whatever services and scripts I want. But an android tablet is much easier when it comes to mounting options. I can wire a usb charger into mains and have the tablet mounted over it. No new holes required.

But a separate screen can have its compute hardware upgraded separately, and you aren’t restricted to old buggy Android versions. I imagine a screen will really last a long time as well. But the big negative is a huge mounting hole.

@JKW Do you always have something on the screen? Even at night? How dark is the iiyama t2234mc when blanked (but still on)?

Edit:

I’ve bought one of these Waveshare AMOLED 5.5" touch displays. I’m curious to see what I can put together before making a big hole in my concrete wall. It is too bad that a rpi doesn’t fit inside the electrical outlet box in the wall.

I found this interesting product that would make mounting tablets more seamless TecLines TNT001 is the in-wall 220v → USB charger and they have an assortment of flush wall mount tablet holders.

The charger itself could be used for a Waveshare + RPI combo if you could DIY the enclosure.

1 Like

Is the screen itself matte or glossy / reflective?

I choose my Dell P2418HT touchscreen because it was matte. My original pictures from years ago: Home Assistant displayed on a wall mounted Dell P2418HT 24" LED touch panel with matte finish, driven by a Dell Wyse Zx0Q-7020 thin client running Lubuntu - Album on Imgur

1 Like