WallPanel for Android [Formerly HomeDash]

Tried that code block, no luck. :frowning:

Well you need to know three things, how wallpanel works (I have no idea - I’ve never installed it), how MQTT works and how triggers work.

MQTT you can think of as a giant message board (the broker) and everyone else is a client. So HA subscribes to a topic/message area (usually called a stat or status topic) so asking the broker to forward any messages in that topic/mesage area to it when they come in no matter who sent them. HA can also publish messages to a topic (usually called a command topic), in this case they are sat at the broker until another subsciber subscribes to that topic and then the messages will be forwarded by the broker to that subscriber. The same goes for Wallpanel at the other side of the broker, he would publish to the stat topic of HA to post messages to him and subscribes to the command topic to receive commands for data updates or commands to turn on the screen for example :slight_smile: .

The trigger above without the condition should work for what you want to do I think, provided that WP is sending the correct info to HA over the correct topic :stuck_out_tongue:

Use MQTT.fx to check what topics WP is sending over and what the payload is.

How does this …

topic: wallpanel/mywallpanel/state

relate to this…

# {"currentUrl":"http://dashboard.home/<WRONG URL>","screenOn":false}

Thank you for the assistance. It does make a little more sense. However, with this code, still no change to the boolean.

- alias: "Auto: Wallpanel - Screen ON"
  trigger:
    platform: mqtt
    topic: wallpanel/mywallpanel/state
    payload: 'true'

action:
    service: input_boolean.turn_on
#    data:
    entity_id: input_boolean.wallpanel_screen_on

As I said use MQTT.fx or similar to determine if/what WP is sending over MQTT (you have to use chrome I think)

Hmmmm… that is interesting, the screenOn state is not updating. It only shows when going from settings to the dashboard on the tablet. That app MQTT.fx is GREAT for showing what is going on. Thank you @keithh666
I think the issue is with the app.

Yep it is good :), maybe there is a setting somewhere for you to play with on the WP app somewhere.

Actually, the state updates when navigating to new urls, not when the screen changes on/off. So, rethinking this automation, i probably could hook the last url and no more motion or face detection for some time (30 sec) and then change the url.

Again, thanks for pushing me to find the way this app functions to get to some semblance of what i am trying to do.

I will post the functional code later in case someone else wants to reuse it.

1 Like

OK, here is the solution for now, mind you, the boolean is not necessary, but i kept it for now

input_boolean:

wallpanel_screen_on:
    name: Wallpanel Screen On
    initial: off
    icon: mdi:tablet-android

binary_sensor:

- platform: mqtt
    state_topic: "wallpanel/mywallpanel/sensor/face"
    name: "Wallpanel Face"
    payload_on: '{"value":true}'
    payload_off: '{"value":false}'
    device_class: motion

and working automation:

- alias: "Auto: Wallpanel - Face ON"
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.wallpanel_face
    to: 'on'
  action:
    service: input_boolean.turn_on

- alias: "Auto: Wallpanel - Face OFF"
  trigger:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.wallpanel_face
    to: 'off'
  action:
    service: input_boolean.turn_off

- alias: "Auto: Wallpanel - Change URL"
  trigger:
    to: 'off'
    for:
      seconds: 30
  action:
    service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      topic: "wallpanel/mywallpanel/command"
      payload_template: '{"url": "http://dashboard.home/MainPanel"}'
      retain: true

Welcome back!

I’ve been running Wallpanel om a couple of Nexus 7 2013’s. Without any significant issues (that I can think of)

If you need some testing just let me know.

Posted a 0.7b1 build this morning with some specific items addressed. Feedback appreciated, if you arent impacted by any of these changes I would pass until 0.7 is out

https://github.com/WallPanel-Project/wallpanel-android/releases/tag/0.7b1

2 Likes

Hello,

New-ish to this, so please bare with me…

I am using wall panel with HADashboard and am finding that the camera widget doesn’t work on wall panel.
These work if I go to the dashboard through the chrome browser on the same device, but not on wall panel.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Seamus65

Welcome back! It’s working fine for me.

Would it be possible to use an external motion detector (from HASS) in addition to the front camera?

Do you mean to wake the screen? If that’s the case, you should be able to have an automation for the motion that calls the “wake” command via mqtt or a URL – assuming the device can be woken by the local means successfully.

Thanks! So I created a rest_command in config and an automation to call it. I tried calling the service but it didn’t work. No errors in log either.

Must be something wrong in my config because this command works:

curl -v -H “Content-Type: application/json” -X POST -d ‘{“wake”: true}’ http://192.168.xxx.xxx:2971/api/command

rest_command:
  wake_bedroom_wallpanel:
    url: 'http://192.168.xxx.xxx:2971/api/command'
    payload: '{"wake": true}'
    method: 'post'

- alias: Wake bedroom WP on motion
  trigger:
    entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_sensor
  action:
    service: rest_command.wake_bedroom_wallpanel

Maybe try setting the content_type: ‘application/json’ in the HASS config too. That seems to be the only difference

You may need to escape the quotation marks in the json with backslashes.

I have it working with MQTT (not REST api) after many testings.

The only way I was able to make it work was the following:

- id: regla_28
  alias: Encendido tablet
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.motion_sensor_XXXXXXXXXXX
    - platform: event
      event_type: click
      event_data:
        entity_id: binary_sensor.switch_YYYYYYYYYY
        click_type: single
  condition:
    condition: state
    entity_id: group.all_devices
    state: 'home'
  action:
    - service: mqtt.publish
      data_template:
        topic: "myhome/panel/salon/command"
        payload: >
          {
            "wake" : "true"
          }

As you can see, both the attribute name “wake” and its value “true” are quoted, and the whole payload is specified as a json expression, not as a string.
All the rest of tests I did were failing. I don’t know how correct my solution is, but I can tell you that finally it works.

Hi,

I have a question about a behavior of the WallPanel. Maybe it is just a config that I didn’t find.

I have transformed an old Galaxy Tab 10.1 into a picture frame that shows a HomeDash and a photo frame.
I have WallPanel always running and when the tablet goes in “idle mode”, after 1 minute, the photo frame start.

My concern is when I touch the screen to wake the tablet. I have some kind of “double touch” to do before be able to use my dashboard button.

Here’s the scenario.

• Tablet is running Photo Frame
  • I touch the screen to wake the tablet
  • WallPanel is now then showed
  • I need to touch the screen to “activate it” (at this moment, the android toolbar in the bottom is shown)
  • Then, I can now touch a button on the dashboard

This is what I call “double-touch”.

Is there anything I can do to automaticaly activate the WallPanel when tablet woke up ?

thanks in advance

Hi All,

I’ve just downloaded and installed WallPanelApp 0.7b1 on my Acer Iconia One 7 tablet (Android 6.0), changed some settings (but not url as it is not clear what to use and how to make this app a dashboard for my Hass.io) and now it keep displaying WallPanel has crashed and does not let me access settings. Have to uninstall it and try again or even roll back to 0.6.1…
Well, after uninstalling, reinstalling and entering my HA’s url it is kind of working, but… displayed the States screen without picture from my YI dome camera and with empty yr sensor. Did not display any Logbook, History etc, just kept rolling the circle. Rebooted the tablet.
Now it behaves better, but still keeps saying “Crashed” and insisting on entering something to send to developers, blocking the whole thing. Very annoying.
Apparently it crashes every time I go to another app or main screen and then tap on WallPanel app in the list of apps. If I tap on WallApp running banner, nothing happens.
Picture from my camera appears for moment and goes…
If I scroll down and then back up, the upper for of sensors remains under that wide blue ribbon and I can see only text labels underneath them.
And I have no idea how to get to that Settings screen to change something - that’s awful… :\

0.6.1 is more stable and is not crashing every second yet, but the issue with top icons is there, camera image is still invisible.
However, tablet’s camera is working (displayed Error until I rebooted the tablet) and wakes up screen when I approach.

A few question:

1. I want the app to detect movement, but not to wake screen on motion - it works with appropriate settings On and Off. I also the tablet to wake if it detects my face. I enabled both Face Detection and Face Wakes Screen, but it does not wake the screen when I approach if Prevent Screen from Sleeping is Off, and when it’s on, there is no point in Face Wakes Screen as it’s always on. What am I missing here?

2. I take it that Sensor Publish Frequency is for all sensors, and even if motion detected, it will be posted to the appropriate sensor topic when that period of time elapses.
    In a real world scenario when one is interested in getting a motion alert as soon as it occurs that frequency should be like 1-5 seconds. On the other hand, there is no point to check battery status every 1-5 seconds, I’d happily update it once in 5-10 minutes, but I can’t because there is only one frequency.
    I think it’s a good idea to either separate motion from other sensors and have 2 frequencies or send a mqtt message from the motion sensor as soon as motion is detected.

Hope it makes sense.

Thanks to the dev(s), really I like this app and hope we can improve it a lot.

Hi, is there anyway to rotate the camera when viewing remotely. I have this running on an Android tablet and have to have it this way round due to the usb slot.

Thanks