WallPanel for Android [Formerly HomeDash]

Is this still being developed. Hasn’t had an update for over 6 months. Doesn’t seem to work with the current version of hadashboard.

I just installed the current release APK on a fire tablet and setup HA Dashboard without issue. What are you running into?

Can’t switch between dashboards, clicking on the “Navigate” widget does nothing. Works fine in “Fully Kiosk Browser” and chrome.

Hi @photo64,
I have a 4th gen Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 tablet that had Android 4.x on it. The HA page would not load in webviews except for the titlebar since a recent update (probably the new UI stuff).
Chrome was fine though…

So I updated it yesterday to Android 5, but the issue is exactly the same despite a significantly newer webview…
Should it work on Android 5? Or is the issue somewhere else (e.g. Kindle hardware, dependency on something only Chrome and Firefox have, …)

Jochen

Hi @jo-me,

Unfortunately I am not sure. I was trying to get it to work on an older Samsung Tablet but since it didn’t have Android 5.0 or greater it wouldn’t. When I wrote to “Fully” they said it was due to not having Android 5.0 along with the latest webview. All I ever see on my Samsung is similar with the blue title bar, I sort of gave up for now since I couldn’t find a way to upgrade to Android 5.0, I instead recently bought some FireHD 7" tablets and installed Fully where it works great. Sorry I couldn’t help but I hope you get it to work.

I noticed that Fully still shows the toast that the web view is outdated (version 41). I checked with Titanium backup and saw that there is a webview v41 system app. When I install the newer WebView via Playstore or APK, it is installed alongside the system app and apparently not being used…
Great stuff…

So I’m trying to find out how to solve this without destroying my system :slight_smile:

Which version of webview do you have installed on your Fire HD 7?

Does anyone use the navigate widget with wallpanel on Android 7?

No one uses it?

i would love to try it but i dont have android 7 tablets (yet) :wink:
but i must also say that i did leave wallpanel for fully, because fully already had more features and that i got the feeling that wallpanel wasnt going to grow, at some point.

1 Like

Life has stopped being in the way and I am reengaging with the project. Downside, at the moment I do not have a working Android tablet to use so I’ll only be able to test in the emulators. My overall priorities in my head right now are:

• Address the Android bugs that have been identified and do a release with the modifications other people have done in my absence
  • Finish the iOS version (iPad 2 with iOS 8.4 is the baseline I’m targeting at the moment, I see tons of iPad 2s going out of use lately)
  • Finish the fit and finish stuff
  • Get them in their respective app stores
  • Do the more native HASS support so people don’t have to rediscover syntax and quote escaping over and over :slight_smile:

After those types of foundational things, then back to big features as makes sense.

If there’s anyone with Android experience, or iOS experience, or wants to do HASS or whatever, the more the merrier, it’s all open to anyone to contribute :slight_smile:

10 Likes

@quadportnick! Welcome back. Hope things are OK in your personal life now and that you’re doing well. I’ve been using Wallpanel on a daily basis in my house and your work is very much appreciated!

Great news @quadportnick.

can t wait for it on ipad!

Welcome back! My WallPanel install has been chugging along without many issues but it’s good to see we aren’t abandoned :slight_smile: If you need someone to test new builds I can install on an android tablet and iPad 2 and 3.

I just mounted an old tablet and started to look for a solution exactly like this and your project came up in my searches. This is so amazing thank you, I hope to give it a try soon

Ok, im looking for some assistance here. I have everything setup and working.

What I am trying to achieve now…
When the screen goes off for 30 sec, reset the url. (im using it with hadashboard)

How I am trying to achieve this:
I have an input boolean:

wallpanel_screen_on:
    name: Wallpanel Screen On
    initial: off

It should toggle on or off when the screen state changes.

I am trying to use an automation for this with no luck.

- alias: "Auto: Wallpanel - Screen OFF"
  trigger:
    platform: mqtt
    topic: wallpanel/mywallpanel/state
    # {"currentUrl":"http://dashboard.home/<WRONG URL>","screenOn":false}

condition: 
    condition: template
    value_template: "{{ 'false' in trigger.payload }}"

action:
      service: input_boolean.turn_off
      data:
        entity_id: input_boolean.wallpanel_screen_on

- alias: "Auto: Wallpanel - Screen ON"
  trigger:
    # {"currentUrl":"http://dashboard.home/MainPanel","screenOn":true}

condition: 
    value_template: "{{ 'true' in trigger.payload }}"

action:
      service: input_boolean.turn_on
      data:

Then I intend on using another automation to determine when the boolean has been off for 30 sec, and then send the MainPanel url.

For some reason, the input boolean is not changing state, thats where im stuck.

action:
      service: input_boolean.turn_off
      data:

Remove data: it’s not needed, that may not cure the problem tho’ as both the trigger and the condition maybe preventing the action anyway. Also your indents appear to be wrong.

@keithh666 Thanks, i corrected the spaces and removed data. Its still not working. Do i somehow need to poll the status as i dont think it is reported to HA automatically.

Instead of what you are doing why can’t you do it like this…

trigger:
     - platform: mqtt
       topic: stat/vactation
       # Optional
       payload: 'yes'

So this …

trigger:
    # {"currentUrl":"http://dashboard.home/MainPanel","screenOn":true}

condition: 
    value_template: "{{ 'true' in trigger.payload }}"

becomes…

trigger:
    payload: 'true'

Well, as i dove into mqtt yesterday, i am applying the knowledge that i had of coding from before mqtt. I dont quite understand how mqtt works nor what that trigger would do. Care to explain, im game to try it out.