WallPanel for Android Redux

I am not a developer, so not really sure how it should exactly, but judging by the way the Google Calendar Authorisation process goes, I would think that it should be allowed to automatically close a popup window, as that is what happens on Fully Kiosk app, and a Windows PC browser. When you authenticate, its obviously saves the token, and then closes the window, and goes back to the source of the activation page, in this case, HADashboard, but as you can see from my screenshot above, this doesnā€™t happen, and it changes the dashboard URL to the page of its trying to authenticate from. So i something isnā€™t right, either the way it openā€™s/closes windows, something to do with saving access tokens. or why it changes the dashboard URL on itā€™s own.

Maybe @WazWaz knows a bit more information about it, but its 100% something to do with WallPanel as he mentioned above. Is there anyway of getting a log of whatā€™s it doing so I can give you some more information ? As I said, I am not a developer, I am just guessing.

I know its Wallpanel. Itā€™s not designed the same as Fully Kiosk which has the behavior you want to emulate. Without looking at the Fully Kiosk code, I donā€™t know what I would do differently to achieve the results you want. I need to see the code for this and I also need to be sure the code doesnā€™t change the default behavior of WallPanel.

There is a way to capture a redirect but I am not sure if thatā€™s the issue or something else. Fully Kiosk isnā€™t open source so there is no code to follow.

I have also noticed that if you navigate to other urls, then go back to the settings, the dashboard URL is changed to the last page you were on, instead of what I put in there myself. (for example, url= ha_ip:8123, it opens, I navigate to my alarm panel at ha_ip:8123/alarm, then I go back to the settings, now the url = ha_ip:8123/alarm ).

btw, awesome that you continued the development of wallpanel, I like it very much!

Only issue Iā€™m having is that my alarm panel doesnā€™t load, but I think that has more to do with my android version + the alarm panel code. (https://github.com/gazoscalvertos/Hass-Custom-Alarm/tree/newUI )

You mean the application settings and not the HASS settings? So if you go into the app settings the dashboard url has actually been updated without you updating it?

There are some options for the browser in the application settings. You can change the browser type for example. You may also consider changing the user agent of the browser (in the settings as well) to see if that helps the issue with loading your alarm panel.

yeah, the wallpanel settings, dashboard url

I already tried both browser settings. I didnā€™t find the user agent setting before, Iā€™ll try that next, thanks!

If you donā€™t see the user agent settings, look for an update to the application because it was recently added. I will take a look at the bug.

1 Like

It appears the only way to change the Dashboard URL besides using the settings is sending either an MQTT or HTTP Command, specifically the browse to new URL command outlined in the documentation (https://github.com/thanksmister/wallpanel-android#commands). Are you sending any commands to change the URL to the WallPanel application? I could not found any other route outside of the settings that would reset the dashboard URL.

I see that if you change the url by navigation it seems to be sending an event to update the saved dashboard url to the new url. But this is from the original WallPanel application, so its expected behavior, though I am not sure its the best behavior. However, it seems if you navigate back, it should update the dashboard URL again. Without the original reasoning behind changing the saved dashboard url when navigating to additional links, I am not sure how to handle this.

1 Like

thatā€™s probably whatā€™s causing the error, or part of the error on trying to authenticate on google too. Doesnā€™t seem like a logical way to deal with things as you say.

1 Like

Hi. WallPanel (version 0.8.1.beta6) is crashing during the startup.
Is there a minimum version of Android required?
Mine is Android 4.1.2 running in an old tablet (Samsung Tab2).

Google Play Store states:

Requires Android 4.1 and up

I see the crash report and Iā€™m investigating. Are you able to see your camera using true camera test in the settings? Can you also check the application permissions in the Android settings to see if it has camera permissions turned on.

Iā€™m going to try and remove the resetting of the dashboard url when navigating to other pages to see what changes. But there still may be a problem with page redirect in your case.

1 Like

Ok, Iā€™ll check later

The application has camera permission turned on.
I can use the camera via other apps, but I can not access to WallPanel settings (If I understand your suggestion)

I am seeing that users are reporting an issue with the Google Vision Library (used for motion, face, QR Codes and streaming) and Android version 5.0 devices. There was no workaround or fix, it appears Google Vision might not work on your device. Were you able to use the previous WallPanel application?

Iā€™ve no previous WallPanel application. Do you mean a previous release or another application?

Yes, this is an update to a previous WallPanel application released over a year ago. So I was curious if you had experienced this before with the previous version since it also uses the Google Vision API. However, I think I have enough to work with. I will try to find a workaround, but it may not be possible.

Ok, thank you