Water Meter Reading/Integration with Itron EverBlu Cyble Enhanced

Does anyone know of a way of integrating water meter reading into Home Assistant?

I live in the UK and my Water Meter is out on the street and has an Itron EverBlu Cyble Enhanced module that allows for wireless remote meter functionality. More details:

https://www.itron.com/solutions/product-catalog/everblu-cyble-enhanced

I’ve had a bit of a search and am not quite finding an answer to this, so any advice or pointers welcome.

3 Likes

Interested as well!
Following.

Any updates?

Same modele , i’m interested too.
Have you try this ?

Some people, have succeeded to read information in this model here in french :
http://www.lamaisonsimon.fr/wiki/doku.php?id=maison2:compteur_d_eau:compteur_d_eau

2 Likes

I think this model is used in Australia too. Watching with interest

Looking at the spec, it looks like it uses Wireless M-Bus
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN11017.pdf (see mode F2a).
There are various Wireless M-Bus development kits available that would at least have the right radio interface to get you started but they are $100+.
https://au.element14.com/stmicroelectronics/steval-fki433v2/dev-kit-sub-1ghz-rf-transceiver/dp/2980992?st=wireless%20m-bus
Most of the cheap 433MHz Tx/Rx boards are ASK not FSK so won’t work.
The RFM69HCW looks worh a closer look

1 Like

I just came across this project, seems to be exactly what you need:

If anyone tries with an AnyQuest Cyble, please let me know the result.

does anyone knows how to get reading information from this itron cyble, I’ve an SDR-RTL dongle

The Cyble meters seems to be using RADIAN protocol which requires two-way communication.

So you will need a transceiver to communicate with it.

The project linked above uses a CC1101 with a 433MHz antenna. You will need a CC1101 with a 169MHz antenna/configuration and to update the CC1101 config from 433MHz to 169MHz.

If any of you cannot get a RPi to the aforementioned project, then try with an ESP8266 or ESP32 with this project:

Sounds almost impossible for me :frowning:, at least I tried hahahahaha, do you know any water meter so I can install and get readings easily?

I don’t know any actual meters which is easy to setup, but I can offer a few solutions, if you have a power source nearby.

1. Check out this project which uses the wired Itron Cyble with an ESP to count usage:
    Actaris water meter detection using a Cyble sensor

2. This one can work with any meter, needs a lot tinkering, but a fun project. It uses an ESP32-Cam.
    GitHub - jomjol/AI-on-the-edge-device: Easy to use device for connecting "old" measuring units (water, power, gas, ...) to the digital world

3. Similar to #1 but a Zigbee solution:
    DIY Inductive Zigbee water meter

4. Maybe one of these, but Z2M hasn’t got any water or gas meters supported, I guess that is the same with ZHA too.
    10 Tiers Shoe Rack With Dustproof Cover Closet Shoe Storage Cabinet Organizer - Buy Shoe Rack,Shoe Storage,Cabinet Organizer Product on Alibaba.com

5. Unfortunately just a cloud solution and dependent where you are from, but Flume is an easy and out of the box solution, if your meter is supported:
    Monitor Your Water Use | Stop Leaks Fast | Flume 2 Smart Water Monitor

6. Search for water meter in the forum and see what other people has built.

Hello community,

i am searching for somebody who is willing to take over this project:
https://github.com/psykokwak-com/everblu-meters-esp8266

Basically is the code working. Means i am able to grab data from my water meter with a CC1101. But unfortunately the data is not send to MQTT and the project owner stated that he will no longer work on this project!

Probably it’s a small thing for an experienced developer to support me as the MQTT connection is the last puzzle to get it running.

But i am not able to debug it. Therefore i am asking the community to pick this project and further develop it!

From my point of view it is really worth it to do!

But at least maybe someone is able to support my specific issue in order to get it solved?
That would be really great!

Hi
I am also trying to integrate this to HASS.
I am using the original fork

I have managed to read the Liters from the meter to be display on the PI terminal
I am not sure how to display this on a dashboard or create one in HAAS
But I am able to see the litres in the MQTT settings

Settings>Devices& Services > Mosquitto broker “Configure”
in “Listen to a topic”
insert “homeassistant/sensor/cyblemeter_“METER_YEAR”_“METER_SERIAL”/state”
then select “Start listening”
you should see a message
Message 0 received on homeassistant/sensor/cyblemeter_xx_xxxxxx/state at 11:12 AM:

I believe there are other reading I can take from the meter.
Has anyone achieved this?
Also, I am trying to rewrite the script to read the meter without the MQTT function, has someone got an example of this.

Hi,

i am currently also trying your linked fork from neutrinus. But i am struggling with the WiringPI Installation.
I tried the perl installation but i am getting this error:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install swig2.0 libperl-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Package swig2.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
swig

Did you also use the Perl method to get WiringPI installed?
Can you please send a short guide which exact commands you has performed?

I managed to get it working and my MQTT broker in home assistant shows the reading.

1 Like

Thats really great.
Can you please help me and describe the steps you has executed more detailed as in the original docu!
I would really appreciate it!

I used the code from GitHub - psykokwak-com/everblu-meters-esp8266: Fetch water usage data from Cyble meters for esp8266.

ESP8266 board: d1_mini with CC1101.

In this file everblu-meters-esp8266.ino filled the mqtt details along with wifi.

uncommented this section (line 272 to 291)

/*
// Use this piece of code to find the right frequency.
for (float i = 433.76f; i < 433.890f; i += 0.0005f) {
Serial.printf(“Test frequency : %f\n”, i);
cc1101_init(i);
struct tmeter_data meter_data;
meter_data = get_meter_data();
if (meter_data.reads_counter != 0 || meter_data.liters != 0) {
Serial.printf("\n------------------------------\nGot frequency : %f\n------------------------------\n", i);
Serial.printf(“Liters : %d\nBattery (in months) : %d\nCounter : %d\n\n”, meter_data.liters, meter_data.battery_left, meter_data.reads_counter);
digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW); // turned on
while (42);
}
}
*/

To find out the frequency of my water meter (trial and error)

Then filled in my METER_YEAR and METER_SERIAL in everblu_meters.h

compiled and uploaded the program using Arduino IDE & ESP-flasher.

But no output from the meter to MQTT due to the program enters into onScheduled(); in line 258. So i changed the program at line 258 to call onUpdateData(); which showed the readings in MQTT broker in HA. After confirmation I changed the program once again to call onScheduled(); so weekdays at 10AM the readings updated.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you need any more details.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your investigation and work. This helped me a lot and now based on your hints i am now also able to send the water meter data to Home Assistant.
Hopefully it will be updated coming monday based on the scheduled time!

Does the daily update work on your side?

Has the triggering option removed from the code? I thought you should be able to trigger it to read the values.