Weather Underground - API keys are available for PWS transmitters, but integration not working

It’s widely known that WU has stopped giving out free API keys to the general public, but they are still giving out API keys to those who send them PWS data. I received my API key, but WU doesn’t seem to like it when it comes from HA.

2019-03-13 01:53:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.wunderground] Check WUnderground API ('this key does not exist',)
2019-03-13 01:53:27 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Platform wunderground not ready yet. Retrying in 30 seconds.
2019-03-13 01:53:58 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.wunderground] Check WUnderground API ('this key does not exist',)
2019-03-13 01:53:58 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Platform wunderground not ready yet. Retrying in 60 seconds.
2019-03-13 01:54:59 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.wunderground] Check WUnderground API ('this key does not exist',)

The key that I’ve entered into configuration.yaml is the same one that WU is giving me.

Can anyone tell me if maybe this is a separate API than what the component used before they stopped giving out free keys? Maybe they pushed the PWS users to a different API. Here’s the docs they have.

The component here is using the old WU API. The new API keys are part of their new API so would have different endpoints etc for data. I have my new API key, but haven’t done anything with it yet, so I’m still using my old API key with the component.

The component needs to be update or replaced.

Just stop supporting the shysters at WU. Why are you giving them your data after the nonsense they pulled?

1 Like

I had an old API key but I can’t find it :confounded:

1 Like

That may be a fair assessment and I’m not supportive of everything WU does, but I still have an API key so I still get more data out of them than I send them.

I’m also reporting data to WU from my PWS (Weatherflow) and was hoping to set it up within Hass. I can’t find my old API key and they erroneously claim that I’m not reporting data, so I’m looking for an alternative. Native integration with the WeatherFlow API would be best for me, but I’m open to alternative website aggregators. Is there a favorite?

To find your old key go to: https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/ and log in. Near the top of the page under the heading that says “Analytics” and below the big red warning box saying the API is end of service, click on the tab that says “Key Settings”. Find your key there. Mine says the key has been manually disabled. I’m presuming WU did this as I haven’t touched the key in a while. Unfortunately, all their “contact us” links just redirect to the weather dot com FAQs… which does include an email us link at the bottom, but who knows how responsive they are to that contact submission form.

I see - thanks! Mine looks like it’s still good. I contacted WU support earlier today to tell them that I am actually uploading data and they responded within an hour, so reach out if you like. In my case, they confirmed that I’m good to go and gave me instructions to get a new key that works with the new API.

In the meantime, I installed WeeWX on a Linux box and it’s happily collecting data from my Weatherflow Air/Sky. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it.

I’m kinda stuck with my weather station. It uploads directly to WU, WeatherCloud, and the uk WOW. WU is the best option of the 3.

I’m yet to look in to see if there is a way to intercept the uploads, so I guess time will tell, and the new WU API should be enough to tie me over.

I believe weewx will intercept your uploads.

Hmm. I’ll have to look into it.

Unfortunately when I do email them about weather underground, it fails to send the email and just says “validation failed: weather_underground is invalid”. Honestly, that’s about par for the course when I’ve dealt with Weather dot com and Weather Underground, they can’t even get their simple support system working.

I got the same thing for my station ID, but then just picked “wunderground.com” and “other”. I don’t think it matters for the support folks.

I’m in the same boat- as a PWS provider I’ve also retrived a new key per the directions here: https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/turning-off-pws-associated-keys

but the Home Assistant component still uses the old API and hasn’t been updated (or a new one made) to work with the NEW API as documented here:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eKCnKXI9xnoMGRRzOL1xPCBihNV2rOet08qpE_gArAY/edit

I’m not in a position to help with this, but I’m hopeful that the component developers for Wunderground can take a look into this and hopefully provide an updated component soon before the spring season hits (as it handles all of my severe weather and irrigation automations!) Thanks!!

You may want to investigate the WeeWX/MQTT solution that I’m using now in the interim to pull data directly from your PWS. WeeWx supports lots of devices natively or through freely-available plugins and it can publish the data to the MQTT broker of your choice (such as the ones available in Hass.io, or installed separately). It’s a hassle to create template sensors for each piece of data, but you can pick and choose and you only have to do it once.

Here’s the thread that got me started with my Weatherflow: https://community.weatherflow.com/t/weewx-udp-driver-for-weatherflow-station/283

Yep, I was going to go this route. I set up WeeWX when Acurite finally discontinued the SmartHub and using the interceptor module (acurite-bridge mode), but I had a lot of issues with the data being collected- too many “N/A” reports causing dips in my graphs and on WU. So this past weekend I killed that off and spun up AcuParse and it’s working far far better and much more reliable. AcuParse has a custom HTTP POST option, i’m going to take a look at the avalible REST POST sensors I can use with the HA API, but the WU component would be much easier- i wouldn’t have to fix all of my UI and automations that use the pws entity ID’s :slight_smile:

Hi
I have an Ambient AWS 2902 pushing data to WU and weewx setup and running on a pi.
I wasnot able to setup interceptor driver to push data to the pi .
Does this thread above describe how to?
tx

I gave up on trying to get Weewx to work. I ended up writing a script that gets the data from the API and loads it into a sensor in HA via the HA api.

I’m using (with success) this custom component with the new API key.
It’s creating sensors for each monitored condition. But no weather.xxx entity.
Or at least not yet, I saw an enhancement request on the github page already.

In my case, as I only needed the ‘SolarRadiation’, this resulted in the following config:

- platform: wundergroundpws
    api_key: !secret sensor_weather_wunderground_api_key
    pws_id: !secret sensor_weather_wunderground_pws_id
    monitored_conditions:
      - solarRadiation

This results in the creation of one sensor only: sensor.wupws_solarradiation

1 Like

Can I send data from my HomeAssistant as PWS data for Weather underground?