WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station via UDP

oh one thing I feel I should point out, the “HOST” parameter in the setup… naturally I put in the ip of my tempest hub… I forgot it sends the data by udp broadcast so the host should actually be the ip of the server that’s running hassos… alternatively just use “host: 0.0.0.0” which works fine

Hi to all,
after than the UDP integration starts to put a zero value to all measurements, I’ve started to make a NodeRED flow for the UDP integration following the official WeatherFlow documentation for the TEMPEST Station.
Finally I’ve reached a full porting of the station in HA with all the available measurements plus (about) all the useful calculated measurements.
In total the flow add 42 entities to HA and for the correct integration is needed, other than NodeRED, the NodeRED HACS integration to allow the automatic entities creation.
From the flow is possible to avoid the direct entities creation and insert MQTT topics, but I prefer direct creation if possible.

The flow create entities for:

1. HUB RSSI
  2. TEMPEST RSSI
  3. HUB FIRMWARE
  4. TEMPEST FIRMWARE
  5. SENSOR STATUS: LIGHTNING FAILED (BINARY)
  6. SENSOR STATUS: LIGHTNING NOISE (BINARY)
  7. SENSOR STATUS: LIGHTNING DISTURBER (BINARY)
  8. SENSOR STATUR: PRESSURE FAILED (BINARY)
  9. SENSOR STATUS: TEMPERATURE FAILED (BINARY)
  10. SENSOR STATUS: HUMIDITY FAILED (BINARY)
  11. SENSOR STATUS: WIND FAILED (BINARY)
  12. SENSOR STATUS: RAIN FAILED (BINARY)
  13. SENSOR STATUS: LIGHT/UV FAILED (BINARY)
  14. PRECIPITATION TODAY
  15. BATTERY
  16. STRIKE ENERGY
  17. STRIKE LOCALTIME
  18. LIGHTNING COUNT
  19. LIGHTNING DISTANCE (EVT)
  20. LIGHTNING DISTANCE (STATION)
  21. LAST PRECIPITATION START (EVT)
  22. PRECIPITATION TYPE
  23. PRECIPITATION ACCUMULATED
  24. SOLAR RADIATION
  25. UV INDEX
  26. ILLUMINANCE
  27. HUMIDITY
  28. TEMPERATURE
  29. PRESSURE
  30. WIND DIR
  31. WIND DIR REALTIME
  32. WIND SPEED
  33. WIND SPEED REALTIME
  34. WIND GUST
  35. WIND LULL
  36. BEAUFORT INDEX (CALCULATED, 12 POINTS)
  37. DEW POINT (CALCULATED)
  38. THOM INDEX (CALCULATED)
  39. HEAT INDEX (CALCULATED)
  40. WIND CHILL - OLD FORMULA (CALCULATED)
  41. WIND CHILL - NEW FORMULA (CALCULATED)
  42. HUMIDEX (CALCULATED)

I’ve attached the flow to Github:

1 Like

Anyone upset that the rain data is not available from the UDP data? Got my 1st rainstorm today and was disappointed to see that my rain today value was 0in. I saw that it had rained .19in from my Weatherflow application, and from Weather Underground where my station uploads its data.

Sent an email to Weatherflow support and they told me that rain data is calculated, and only available from the internet API. I generated a key, and hit the REST API, and there was my 4.890036 mm of rain. (Pretty precise value :slight_smile: )

Anyway, as I am trying to remain as off-grid as possible with all my HA stuff, I would like to just get the values for rain, rain-rate etc. from the web. Any chance that someone would like to roll that into the awesome smartweatherudp integration? (It would be nice to have the corrected barometric pressure available as well, since the UDP values are absolute)
The REST API returns this when called:

{"status":{"status_code":0,"status_message":"SUCCESS"},"device_id":XXXXX,"type":"obs_st","source":"cache","summary":
{"pressure_trend":"rising","strike_count_1h":0,"strike_count_3h":0,"precip_total_1h":0.0,"precip_accum_local_yesterday":0.0,"precip_accum_local_yesterday_final":0.0,"precip_analysis_type_yesterday":1,"feels_like":1.4,"heat_index":1.4,"wind_chill":1.4},"obs":[[1609896872,0,0.8,1.16,280,3,881.5,1.4,53,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,2.7,1,4.890036,null,null,0]]}

You can use the smartweather and smartweatherudp components. You then marry their entities you want to use by filling out an at a glance card. Add your local entities and network based rain total entities, etc… Then you have the best of both worlds.

Someone asked about the issue on the github here. Maybe it was something related to the custom component ? However, it seems like it should be fixed but it hasn’t been pushed yet.

From the names of the entities I see you’re italian, quindi grazie davvero, stavo cercando un’integrazione del genere, e credo di averla trovata, anche se non ho ancora studiato node-red, ma questa sarà l’occasione giusta per iniziare. Ho installato e configurato i due injector, funziona, ha creato tutte le entities e sembra si aggiornino correttamente. Finalmente ho la Tempest in HA via UDP. :slight_smile:

This integration really needs an update frequency… ok so the tempest reports every few seconds but I really don’t need that many figures continually being pumped into home assistant… would be nice if I could say set a frequency of once every 30 seconds… would reduce the load on home assistant and the amount of recorded data

The UDP API states it is available (referring to rain); but I’m trying to figure out if this is true or not before I purchase a Tempest.
https://weatherflow.github.io/Tempest/api/udp/v143/

I also saw that the udp API should give Precipitation Type (0 = none, 1 = rain, 2 = hail) but I looked thru the code on github and did not see it as a sensor. I did see rain rate, but that is not listed in the udp API. So I’m not sure if the published API is correct or not.
https://github.com/briis/smartweatherudp/blob/afbc01c82358a6d2479bc463d6079e857fb30960/custom_components/smartweatherudp/sensor.py

I like the functions of the Tempest and I like that it states that all should be available locally via UDP but I have read here and in other locations that not everything is available via the udp API.

So…what sensors are people actually getting and what is not available at this time?

Are all those sensors pulled from the UDP API?
So it looks like this confirms that precip type is not over UDP.

Are you actually getting precip type via UDP?
If you are then it looks like the other integration just needs that added.
I have thus far avoided node-red, but might consider it.

This is all the information given from the integration. I have seen all of these numbers change based on weather.

Hi,
I’ve created my own Node-Red integration and sometimes I go to check if something is changed in the UDP packet (is not the first time that WF change something in the JSON packet).
With node-red I have resolved all problems and is independent from HA session.

Hi Gualandd, can you give some more detailed instructions on how to use your node-red flow for Tempest? What does it need to get it working on my weather station.

First, follow the instructions of the UDP integration in these pages to retrive your Station ID & API Key.
Then insert both in the injection nodes in the UDP section of the flow.

Before deploy the flow you need to install in HA the Node-Red HACS addon (for auto creation of entity in HA) and setup your mqtt broker inside NR (if needed).

For example, in my last edition (not public) I’ve completely removed the HA integration and my tempest publish only in mqtt for speed increase and reliability in case HA is hanging (I’ve a stand alone mqtt broker on a RPi 3).

Ciao @gualandd,

I’ve been using your flow since a couple of months, it’s working great.

Since last week, I receive an error on 4 calculated values, I don’t know if something’s changed in WF API or what the problem could be. Here’s a couple of screenshots:

Mmm… I think is a HA problem. Seems that entity is not available in HA for some reasons.
Try to stop the flow and restart HA, then deploy the flow again.

I suggest to not use HA entities but mqtt. Since I have put in my net a stand alone mqtt broker and deleted HA entities from the flow I have no problems (entities in HA are now mqtt only).

I tried restarting and recreating the flow from scratch before posting, same issue. Those entities are auto-created by node-red, right?

I simply installed the flow and it automatically created the entities and it also sends data to MQTT, which I’m using to upload to my meteo website for the tempest. What should I do exactly to stop it from creating the entities? In the way you are using it (last unpublished version), don’t you need an integration to create entities via MQTT?

BTW: now it says “API error” on the flow. I don’t think it’s a HA issue…but who knows.

Thanks for the support.

Strange… btw I have removed from my flow all the HA entities (now for all my flows I work only with mqtt) because they are high resource demand and create problems specially with flow deploy or if HA restarts.
To remove auto creation of entities simply delete the entity in the flow and deploy it.

If you wish to publish mqtt you have to setup the broker parameters in node-red and then add an mqtt publish node for each measure, setting for each the topic.

Online there are a lot of guides for that.

In my last public version the flow has both options: entities & mqtt… delete entity nodes, set your mqtt broker and you can go

When HA restarts, MQTT data is still being updated because the flow runs in node-red container, correct? So restarting is a problem only for HA entities update, well, if you are restarting HA, obviously its entities will not be available, I can live with that. But data to MQTT from node-red is still coming, if I understood correctly.

So now that you switched to MQTT only, you don’t have a card in the gui showing the sensors? I like the fact that the flow updates MQTT, but I also like to view all the sensors in the GUI. The way your current flow is doing it is good for me. I just have this issue with those 4 sensors…

Last public version you mean the one from 3 months ago? That’s what I’m using. And it’s working both for MQTT and HA entities, apart a recent issue with those 4 sensors. Since I don’t have a resource issue, I’ll simply ignore or disable those 4 sensors, that are not important for me.

Thanks anyway for the hints.