WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station via UDP

@briis Is there any way to add lightning strike with distance to lightning strike? I get notifications from the tempest app that there are lightning strikes 10-12 miles away and I see your integration turn a switch on but I would like to be able to create notifications based on how far away the lightning strike was.

OK, Youā€™re right.
There is a problemā€¦ now I can see it.

The problem btw is Node-Red and not my flow: the last update had modified the join node so now it create always an array[8] instead of an array[n] where n is the dimension that I set.

I can modify the flow but if they publish a release that repair the node, the flow donā€™t work correctly again so I have to think a workaround that works with both cases.

No, at the moment is not possible to filter lightning based on distance I think.
I have to see if there are news on WeatherFlow APIā€™s.

New version available on my GitHub.
This is an MQTT only version: from now Iā€™ll made change (if needed) only in MQTT version of the flow because Iā€™ve removed the Node-Red HACS extension.

Corrected the Join Node problem.

Since I needed the HA entities more than MQTT data, Iā€™ll stay on the old version, that is working fine except for the problem with those 4 values due to the join issue in node-red, and doesnā€™t require any manual configuration of the sensors in HA.

Since you want to keep only MQTT, did you think about MQTT Discovery? That would let HA create the entities automatically from MQTT data: MQTT Discovery - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io).

Thanks.

Well, if you prefer to remain in that version you can:

• import my new flow without deploy it
  • copy change nodes, join nodes and wires for Wind speed, temperature and humidity
  • paste them in your flow in the same location
  • copy & paste the first function node of each calculation after the join node
  • after deploy you should have all calculations run ok

For mqtt discovery Iā€™ll investigate when I have a bit of time

I had to also change the new Dewpoint Calculus: replaced msg.payload with msg.dp.

Seems to be working fine, will tell you in case of problems. Thank you.

In case someone needs it, hereā€™s the code: WF Tempest Node-Red Flow (HA+MQTT) Ā· GitHub

So I am never seeing any debug logging on the UDP side of the flowā€¦ Its not clear to me if I am supposed to be configuring the tempest to send to my node-red instance somehowā€¦ If that is the case could you please point me towards those steps?

No John, itā€™s a UDP broadcast, basically any host that listens to traffic on that UDP port can get the Tempest data. If broadcast doesnā€™t work, it might be something related to your network. Do you use a network switch? Do you use VLANs? If HA and Tempes are on the same LAN/VLAN, or better, broadcast domain, you should see the UDP data.

Canā€™t help more without more information on your setupā€¦

this has stopped working in 2021.6.1. Simply says integration smartweatherudp is not availableā€¦ nothing in the logs either

reverted back to version 2021.5.4 and all is fine again

edit the manifest.json and had the version string: (there is a pr to do this but itā€™s not been merged). this will fix allow it to be loaded:

1 Like

Before I spend more time on thisā€¦
I am attempting to mimic the WeatherFlow app inside Home Assistant. Due to font sizing, it looks like I will have to make two versions for phone and desktop; I am currently working on a form factor for phone.
This is what I have so far, looking for ideas.
The compass is fully working; I attempted to use the compass card but it does not resize well. This compass is just a selection of images based on direction (taken from other post).

type: picture-elements
image: /local/gauge/Stripe.png
elements:
  - type: state-label
    style:
      top: 8%
      left: 30%
      box-shadow: null
      color: black
      font-family: Quicksand
      font-size: 300%
      background-color: transparent
      border-radius: 10%
      text-align: center
    entity: sensor.temperature
    attribute: ''
    title: ''
    prefix: ''
    style:
      top: 5%
      left: 70%
      font-size: 150%
    entity: sensor.temperature
    prefix: 'DewPoint: '
  - entity: sensor.wind_direction_avg
    style:
      left: 10%
      top: 50%
      width: 10%
    type: image
    state_image:
      'N': /local/WindCompass/N.png
      NbE: /local/WindCompass/NbE.png
      NNE: /local/WindCompass/NNE.png
      NEbN: /local/WindCompass/NEbN.png
      NE: /local/WindCompass/NE.png
      NEbE: /local/WindCompass/NEbE.png
      ENE: /local/WindCompass/ENE.png
      EbN: /local/WindCompass/EbN.png
      E: /local/WindCompass/E.png
      EbS: /local/WindCompass/EbS.png
      ESE: /local/WindCompass/ESE.png
      SEbE: /local/WindCompass/SEbE.png
      SE: /local/WindCompass/SE.png
      SEbS: /local/WindCompass/SEbS.png
      SSE: /local/WindCompass/SSE.png
      SbE: /local/WindCompass/SbE.png
      S: /local/WindCompass/S.png
      SbW: /local/WindCompass/SbW.png
      SSW: /local/WindCompass/SSW.png
      SWbS: /local/WindCompass/SWbS.png
      SW: /local/WindCompass/SW.png
      SWbW: /local/WindCompass/SWbW.png
      WSW: /local/WindCompass/WSW.png
      WbS: /local/WindCompass/WbS.png
      W: /local/WindCompass/W.png
      WbN: /local/WindCompass/WbN.png
      WNW: /local/WindCompass/WNW.png
      NWbW: /local/WindCompass/NWbW.png
      NW: /local/WindCompass/NW.png
      NWbN: /local/WindCompass/NWbN.png
      NNW: /local/WindCompass/NNW.png
      NbW: /local/WindCompass/NbW.png
    style:
      left: 20%
      background-color: rtransparent
    entity: sensor.wind_bearing_avg
    style:
      left: 35%
    entity: sensor.wind_speed_avg
    style:
      left: 80%
    entity: sensor.wind_gust
    prefix: 'Gusting: '

@gualandd would it be possible to post the MQTT paths for all the topics on Github? This would be really helpful when setting up the entities in the confi yaml.

(or is there another way than clicking through the entries in Node-RED?)

Thanks!!

Well,
in NR you can open pink nodes (MQTT Out) and copy the Topic path.
If you wish, you can customize the topic path according with your MQTT structure.

Why was the ā€œFeels Likeā€ temperature removed?
I just updated to 2022.07.7 from 2022.06 and the config I had been using for a long time suddenly showed in C rather than F so I set off to figure out why. Coming to this thread I saw the custom component has moved into HACS and was updated for 2022.07 so I installed it.
Now I have all new sensors, but Feels Like is now missing.

Anybody know why?

thanks

Hi Alex, Danton back again!!
Well, I searching a good system to monitor the weather at home with a good and precise sensor.
What you suggest me? I looking for a FW Tempest, but It has prohibitive prices in Italy!
Do you have any suggestion?

So, Iā€™m looking your post WF Tempest Node-Red Flow (HA+MQTT) Ā· GitHub andā€¦ well, you can also check if incoming hail??
Have you test it at home?
Itā€™s very important for me finding hail, in other to enable automatic funcion to ā€œsaveā€ few components at homeā€¦

I have the WF Tempest, the Wittboy (Ecowitt WittBoy GW2001 - Meteo-Project - Vendita e Installazione Stazioni meteo e Webcam) and also a Davis station that I didnā€™t mount yet.

Didnā€™t frankly check if hail is detected, you should check the docs about this. Iā€™ll see if there are specific sensors for that.

Thank you Alex!
How do you find this device? Does it work well and/or is it accurate enough in determining the weather?
Reading through your code that I posted earlier, I saw that there is also a hail control (line 364), and I thought it was tested, not to bring you bad luck, of course.
I hope it never hails, but in case it does, it would be useful to activate some automatic functions, such as closing the blinds, opening the pool cover, etc.