Web UI does not work on older Safari (running on iPad 1)

I have an old iPad 1 (the original model! :)) laying around, that I was planning to mount on the wall to access my HASS installation.

However, the web UI does not work. When I go to the page, I see the blue HASS icon splash screen, but then nothing happens.

I presume the problem lies in the old Safari. iPad 1 cannot be upgraded beyond iOS 5.1.1

I tried turning on the Safari debug console, which claims there are two JS errors: “TypeError: ‘undefined’ is not an object”. Unfortunately, there are no line numbers or anything to pinpoint the problem further. I do not even know if this javascript issue is what’s causing the blank page.

As a workaround, I tried to download Chrome. It did not work either (I was redirected to an old outdated version of Chrome), and it had even less debugging capabilities.

Any idea how to proceed? Can I turn down the amount of JS in the web page? How can I debug Safari issues on an old iPad?

As you can see on our Browser Compatibility List most modern browsers are supported. It’s required that you run a recent version of a browser.

As an alternative you can try to use: Wall Mounted Dashboard (now known as HADashboard)

Thanks! I just recently discovered this. I do need to verify that hadashboard works with iOS 5.1.1, but if it does it actually looks more suitable. A bit more work to setup, though.

I’m still curious to why it does not work, though. I found on the forum that similar behaviour was displayed by other browsers as well (see e.g. HASS hangs on web browser)

I’ll try to do some debugging and see if I can trace what is causing this.

Hi,
I have a few ipad 1 devices, they don’t work with Safari and HA, see above.
Can somebody tell me if the dashboard it does.

I haven’t got anything that old, but it works on iOS7. If you fire one of the iPads up, you can try and see if Dashing works here: http://dashingdemo.herokuapp.com/sample. If it does, I think the dashboard should work too.

Hi gustafh,
it looks that the link works on the old iPad.
Try to Install the software next week on the PI.
Report if it works.

Yes, they work. I have an iPad 1 with the latest iOS released for that platform (5.x, I believe).

It cannot run the default HA web UI, but it can run the dashboard. It can be a bit slow in the initial load but then it works ok.

I recommend jailbreaking and installing a hack for full screen in Safari.

Thanks magicus, i try it next week.

If I’m correct the default HA UI works with iOS 7.1+. This is because of the technique used for the UI (Polymer) which is supported from that platform onwards.

I think the current UI could be made to work on older devices if the UI loads Polyfill when an older browser is used. But that requires a change on the front end code.

Link for reference: https://www.polymer-project.org/1.0/docs/browsers

Interesting lead.

Unfortunately, it seems that Polyfill does not work on Mobile Safari 5.1, which is the latest available on iPad 1. :frowning:

Does Chrome install on the older IOS versions? How about the HA IOS app?

Could have figured that out myself :see_no_evil:

According to the App Store, Chrome is supported iOS 9 and later.

As to the Home Assistant iOS app, this also requires iOS 9 and up.

Chrome installs but only an older version. This version does not work with HA either. At least as I recall.

Hi, I run HA on a Raspberry Pi 3. Is it good to install the dashboard on de same Raspberry or do i have to install it on another Rasberry pi?