Weber iGrill 2 integration with Lovelace UI

Yes, I have an igrill user. Not sure what the issue is. Following in log:

1593191606: New client connected from 192.168.1.228 as auto-2DF6ABBC-3D8F-7FF7-8D5E-33BC5DD31B4F (p2, c1, k60, u'igrill').
1593191609: Socket error on client auto-2DF6ABBC-3D8F-7FF7-8D5E-33BC5DD31B4F, disconnecting.

Thanks for all the help @Burningstone, Everything is up and running. I didnā€™t have quotes around my mqtt broker id address. Fixing that got everyone working finally.

Thanks to all the help from all the wonderful people on this site, I finally got things up and running. Very helpful. I am using a template to use ā€œoffā€ when the probes are not plugged in vs ā€œunknownā€. However, if I unplug one, the last value persists. Is there any way to update that on a regular basis? If I donā€™t have a probe plugged in, I would rather have ā€œoffā€ displayed rather than the last known temperature. Iā€™m thinking it may be related to LWT on the MQTT side, but out of my wheelhouse.

Thank you!

Could you do a template or automation to zero / clear the value if nothing found for an hour?
Or if all other values are off then clear them? Perhaps using the battery % value?

@KablammoNick, that sounds great, but unfortunately above my abilities.

Anyone have this running alongside the Anova Sous Vide application as well?

I have been trying to implement this code for about a week, learning the ins and outs of Debian, GIT, etc. Itā€™s been fun, if you consider frustration and searching on google endlessly fun.

I installed on a RPi 3B with Debian desktop light. I then followed the excellent install procedure in post 149. I then discovered that I needed to install Python 3, so I found post 161:

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/python python /usr/bin/python3.7 1

Started with:

igrill/monitor.py -c igrill/config 

and watched the blue light which just kept blinking and nothing appearing on the screenā€¦which led me to believe it wasnā€™t working.

after much internet time and reading code, I discovered an option on monitor.py:

igrill/monitor.py -c igrill/config -l debug

and discovered that the integration was actually working even though the blue light on the igrill kept flashing. I also found what topics were actually being sent.

I subscribed to: igrill/# in Node Red and saw that messages were arriving as igrill/smoker/probeN (where N is the probe number of an active probe)ā€¦and igrill/smoker/battery

my device.yaml

devices:
  - name: 'smoker'
    type: 'igrill_v2'
    address: 'D4:81:CA:22:C2:BB'
    topic: 'igrill'
    interval: 20

IMPORTANT: I tried the above an a RPi 4B and it did not work.

There is still some strange actionā€¦looking at the debugā€¦after the msg is sent to MQTT, the device is disconnected (which is why the blue light doesnā€™t stay on). The logic should be that if itā€™s connected, it should stay connected, asking for an update every 20 seconds (or whatever you put in the interval: option). It tries to reconnect every 20 secondsā€¦and many donā€™t complete (no idea why). Some do connectā€¦the time varies but itā€™s about every minuteā€¦

1 Like

Is thete a large distance between the Pi and the iGrill device? Do you have the app connected to the grill at the same time, because you can only connect one devixe to the igrill at a time.

The igrill device is within 6ā€™ of the pi.

I have isolated the problemā€¦itā€™s the internal bluetooth. I inserted a bluetooth usb dongle from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IM8YKPW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I disabled the internal bluetooth ( add dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt on its own line to /boot/config.txt). I left hciuart alone and kept bluetooth ā€œonā€ on the desktopā€¦started monitor.py. It worked flawlesslyā€¦the blue light locked on, no random connectionsā€¦publish info to MQTT every 20 seconds. I did this on my Pi 3Bā€¦havenā€™t tried on 4B, but likely it will work the sameā€¦Iā€™ll update this postā€¦

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I for the life of me cannot remember how to install the image from git to my docker. anyone got a quick guide on this?

Thanks in advance!

WARNING WARNING WARNING

I installed this code on my RPi4 with the external bluetooth dongle, disabled internal bluetooth and started monitor.py. The igrill connectedā€¦but the display on the igrill stopped showing the temperature. When I stopped monitor.py, the igrill display went back on but the temperature shown started to move around between 76 and 81 (the temperature in the room was 78. I then tried a different probe with the same results. The igrill application on my ipad still works, but the temperature is no longer steadyā€¦it jumps around between 76 and 81ā€¦one degree at a time but it changes every couple of seconds. Iā€™ve tried with the probe in a glass of waterā€¦same resultsā€¦no steady reading. The igrill works normally with the ipad applicationā€¦locks blue light on, displays temperatureā€¦but that temperature has the same variationā€¦every couple of seconds it goes up or down between 76 and 81.

Something changed in the igrill unitā€¦Iā€™ve tried all the reset procedures (battery, button) but havenā€™t been able to change the rapidly and randomly changing termperature readings. I will call weber to see if thereā€™s any ā€œfixā€.

Try at your own riskā€¦

Just got this working great with my iGrill 3. Not having to keep my phone right next to the grill is going to be great on itā€™s own, but all the things I can do with automations/notifications will be even better. If anyone else is using the iGrill 3, I also submitted a Pull Request to add the propane tank level, so hopefully thatā€™ll get merged in soon.

Could really use some help with this one!!

Been trying to this integrations for weeks now. Have come so far that i have uptained the mac adress of the iGrill3. I think i have done everything correct according to docs - even copied to 2 config files two the root dir as mentioned in a previous post

I am running in Hassio so ican use ./Monitor.py - at least i think. But how the heck do i get it started??
How to get the igrill.service under /lib/systemd/system/ folder? I am not sure i ven have this folderā€¦

Hi - Did you ever managed to get this running on the same device?
I simply cant get it running on Hassioā€¦ Really considering installing HA in a docker just to be able to use this :slight_smile:

I ran across this while looking for a decent WiFi enabled thermometer for my grill. Iā€™d received an iGrill V2 years ago and liked it but when doing an extended cook I wanted a WiFi connected thermometer. Based upon the posts from war1000 - (post 103), Burningstone (post 150 & post 158) and ghstudio for the info on the debugging I was able to get this installed on a Pi Zero W that I had laying around. I used the DietPi install and the only issue I had is I couldnā€™t get the Pi Zero to start bluetooth. I inserted the card into a Pi 3B+, got it to start up, replaced the card into the Pi Zero and everything worked without a hitch. The only mod Iā€™m going to make is install the Pi camera on it so I can keep an eye on my smoker.

Thanks guys, you managed to save me $150 or so as I donā€™t need to purchase another thermometer!

Great integration!!! A couple things I added to my dashboard, the ability to turn off the automations / alerts, a markdown card to enter the details of the cook (I plan on taking screenshots to keep record of the cooks), and a little script to activate all the probes (just a mqtt publish script) and to start a counter to record when I started the cook.

Thanks for all the documentation and time!

1 Like

Iā€™ve added alerts to give me a heads up when what Iā€™m cooking is almost done driven by my spouse always wanting to know so she can prepare vegetables, etc.

For meats/poultry that donā€™t have that long unpredictable pause, Its pretty easy to project what time it will be done. For example, if I want the turkey to reach 165, I can project, based on the current temperature of the smoker, how long it will take to reach 165. For longer cooksā€¦like a brisket, I start another routine that senses when the probe is 190 and projects when it will reach 205.

The logic is fundamentallyā€¦if it takes 2 minutes for the meat probe to go up one degree, then, since heating is linear and I know the rate of change, I just divide the target temperature - current temperature and divide it by 2 minutes. Itā€™s close enough. For that brisket, just start sensing when the meat probe hits 190 and apply the same logic.

No, itā€™s not accurate to the minute, but itā€™s actually pretty close as long as you donā€™t have any major changes. If the smoker cools, it automatically adjusts the projected cooking time, etc.

1 Like

Shortly speaking - itā€™s too much hassle to modify squashfs compressed root partition, trying to get this code working on the same Hassio device (unless developers add some Bluetooth/iGrill plug-in support in the future releases). Besides, your changes will be overwritten with every OS update.

Any chance youā€™d be willing to share your configs?

What config do you need, I donā€™t mind sharing at all. Most of this was just adjusted with what was posted.