What addons/self-hosted stuff do you use?

There is an addon for monitor.

I would like to see an ADDON for a messaging service: hosting your own whatsapp/viber/messenger and have really secure chats.

Any advice on which chat service/server to host?

Ohh I missed that.

EDIT: can’t find it

Mattermost in Docker is close enough even now :slight_smile:

cool then I wish a Mattermost addon.

it is mentioned in the long monitor thread, quite recently.

lasted few days …

What does that even mean?

The addon is offline, not to be found

I dont think I’m running much different, but I’m always on the lookout for new stuff to self-host.

I need to sort out some backup stuff, I’ve been using duplicati but I can’t say I’m a fan

Well why didn’t you say so, instead of three words that do not make sense.

Also it was pretty easy to find that it does still exist. His github account is still active, and using a web browser from that dead link finds it in one url edit from https://github.com/Limych/addon-presence-monitor/blob/develop/presence-monitor/README.md to https://github.com/Limych/hassio-addons

Because English is not my mother language. If you prefer I write in perfect Italian and it will be fully understandable

2 Likes

Hopefully the mighty @frenck can look into this.

I installed Mattermost, is really really good software

1 Like

I guess yoi host it?
What do you use as Voice service?

Did you solve the push message? To me everything works but I don’t see the message notifications on my Android

I don’t use it for voice, and as for the push messages, it depends: do you only use Android? They have detailed instructions on running your own notification service, which is free for Android.

I run a mixed iOS+Android household, so having iOS notifications would have required being part of the Apple Developer Program, at 99$ a year.

Thus, I chose in the admin settings Mattermost’s own notification service, which seems to be a free bridge between your self-hosted instance and Google & Apple’s notification services. From what I see, Mattermost (the company) doesn’t get the content of your messages this way, all my notifications are of the type “user X has sent you a message” until I enter the app.

I recommend also BigBlueButton

another, but well done, Voice and Video chat service self hosted.

From my understanding Matrix, Mattermost (?), and BugBlueButton also need a TURN server in order to make Voice calls
www.webrtc-experiment.com/docs/TURN-server-installation-guide.html#coturn

Started using Duplicati as well, seems quite decent, I use it for offsite whole-VM backup and backups of the daily XML exports from Confluence.

I’ve also started using Statping, which seems like a decent uptime monitoring & analytics solution. It runs in its own Docker container, so an addon in the HASS.IO store would be great :slight_smile: It does have the disadvantage of not being able to notify if my actual VM is down, but for that healthchecks.io does the job. Thus, I moved my other checks to Statping for the extra analytics and only keep healthchecks.io for the situation in in which my main server instance is down.

hi,

For who’s on RPI there is a duplicati add-on here: https://github.com/jhhbe/hassio-addons, while it is a bit slow on an RPI3B+ it does what it is supposed to do. I make a snapshot in hassio first and then have a duplicati job kicking in an hour later. Daily to local S3 storage, weekly to cloud.

It’s based on https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/duplicati

I’m sort of hoping @frenck would adopt this one but I didn’t dare asking so far.

jhh

Be careful relying on Duplicati for backups. It has failed me many times during my trials over the years. Currently trying to test it out to handle about 700gb of backups to an offsite storage, and one of the backup jobs refuses to back up new files. That backup job is about 450GB by itself, and it takes about an hour before the job just stops, with no real error as to why, and no new files are added to the repo.

I had it happen on a Windows machine a couple years back too. Corrupt database, and it would never recover the database to be able to finish backup jobs.

I have seen many complaints about it over the years. Just don’t rely on it as your only backup.

2 Likes

I see, then what would you recommend?