What are the best UK plugs with energy monitoring

What is the refresh rate on those, is it live like the dumb energy monitors or interval?

I was originally looking for plugs but if the sockets are solid they might be another good option.

Is the feedback on energy consumption interval or live?

The Aurora sockets report power every 6-7 secs. Most Esphome smart plugs I have are set to report every 10s.
Only disadvantage for me is you can’t run extra code on them as they are ZigBee, but I just run the automations and template sensors I need in HA.

Just an update, the local bytes had no stock, the aurora sockets were out of stock.
I bought a 4 pack of TP Link P110 for 30 quid that should be turning up today, I’ll see how they integrate with HA through the Kasa or HACS integration. Fingers crossed they’ll do the trick. I have an older Kasa HS110, that has been pretty good so I thought I’d give the Tapo ones a try, the Kasa ones were an option but £45 for 4 made them around 50% more for what appears to be the same thing, at least from the reviews I’ve seen anyway.

I’ll report back on the reliability etc in time, obviously they’re Wi-Fi not zigbee, and time will tell if they will get updated to matter support, I guess probably not

1 Like

If you completely own it you have all the choices: 100ms, 1s, 10s, etc. - whatever you want and the hardware is capable of (I had no problem with esphome+pzemac energy meter setting the update_interval to 100ms with HA and using the native api :rocket:)

Looks like your device is based on a RTL8720CF chip which doesn’t allow full ownership.

I also doubt that very much. They want sell new devices to you. It also can happen that if you integrate it via a custom HACS integration that it will be unsupported somewhere in the future because the dev could stop maintain the component to keep it working with newer HASS releases :man_shrugging:

I personally just avoid all these black box devices (matter, wifi, z-**, etc.) and go with the ones I can really own and have the right/possibility to repair or extend functions as well as role (security)updates without being depended from the seller. :do_not_litter:

That essentially means my devices a based on espressif esp’s that allow to run your own *ware on it :muscle:

A 30 seconds search revealed that esp based uk plugs are available, just to link two :point_down:

https://www.shelly.com/en-gb/products/product-overview/shelly-plus-plug-uk

These have a bad reputation for early failure unfortunately

@orange-assistant you’re correct, they don’t allow full control and it has to be done through the cloud, but, whilst I don’t approve of that at all, I do (hope) that it will work for some time to come. In an ideal world I’d get zigbee ones that I can manage locally, but budget and demand for certain things mean that unfortunately price is the driving factor, I don’t like it, I know it will eventually bite me in the ass. I hope it doesn’t, but I think it will at some point.

Those ESPHome ones are nice, I’d love to buy the Shelley ones, but at £96 for 4 plus delivery they are an order of magnitude more than the Tapo ones.
The athom ones I have not heard of, I’ll do a bit more digging into them, I’ll have to admit I am cautious about what I will plug into my wall sockets, safety is important which is another reason for picking a brand (albeit not the best, but I would hope they have been safety tested)

Edit: the Tapo home integration worked a charm, the only thing of note was having to assign a static IP to the device, in my case I assigned a reservation in the router’s dhcp pool, and one of the plugs are currently showing up in home assistant, reporting power use as expected.

Appreciate the feedback, do any plugs support the 100ms option at all or 1s that you are aware of?

It always depends on the power hardware but I’m 99% sure every esp(home) based plug out there is capabable of a 1 second interval and probably 95%+ also can do 100ms without problems. :timer_clock:

If you really own the device only the hardware is the limit :muscle:

I’m looking at those localbytes plugs. Tasmoto or ESPHome? Which option to pick?

What I am replacing…

I have been running some Screwfix “british-general-smart-home-13a-smart-socket” but two major annoyances with those:
1\ They phone home too often. When I try and block them with my Pi Hole they go mad and throw out thousands of attempted connects.
2\ They randomly shutdown and restart for no reason at all. Annoying when this is on a PC you are working on…

WRT 1 - do I assume the localbytes devices really are 100% local? I can block them from Internet access and they will not complain?

ESPHome works with the native api :rocket:

and remotebytes are 100% remote :man_shrugging:

Local Bytes

What we stand for!

Smart Home Technology is, by definition, for your home.
So why should your data exist in someone else’s data center?

Allport-IT proudly presents Local Bytes. Your one-stop-shop for smart home technology, that respects your privacy.

Putting you back in control of your home’s data!

Once everything is set up, your home will be automated, even if your internet goes down!

Well, technically you can only block requests to the internet - hence a esphome plug which by default doesn’t make any request to the internet can’t be blocked :scream:

They sound like some really bad smart sockets :put_litter_in_its_place:

1 Like

Thank you very much, I will have a look at those from the LB site.

I’ll avoid that Remotebytes brand then… :laughing:

Thanks for your perfect answers. WIll get a couple to try out.

They are some dumb-ass devices. Once setup they have worked well. Except for the fact they power off randomly. Not so good.

And wow they really hate being cut off from the Internet. China must be so darn interested in what is on my network… :rofl: These things scream out thousands of hits once blocked in Pi-Hole. Instead of their daily few hundred hits…

It is mad. I used their app to get them setup with wifi details, then deleted the app and swapped to HA control. Don’t stop them bickering.

Gold, thanks. I will be checking out your website

Errr… wow. These LocalBytes (ESPHome) plugs are rather good.

Bought two. Only mistake was reading online instructions as it was a bit misleading going into Tasmota MQTT stuff I didn’t need. No need to install any Mosquito addons.

Turn it on, find it with phone Wifi, connect to 192.168.4.1, teach it Wifi network details.
Look in HA and ESP Home devices found automagically. Ready to go.

Biggest shock… plugged in second one… wondered why its WiFi network appeared on phone, and disappeared so quick. Odd. :thinking: Refreshed a bit… and then had a hunch, looked into HA. It had only gone and auto-copied the WiFi settings from the first one!! Clever little thing.:astonished:

Only question I have:

• If I want to change WiFi network does that mean I just reset them by holding in the button for a few seconds? Doing that I assume I have to unplug ALL of them and reset all, and then swap network on one, and plug in the rest and they will allow follow the new settings.

And the other thing I love about these - the SIZE. So small that they can be plugged into a standard UK extension lead and not block the next or opposite sockets.

Yeah, at a price :flushed:

I hadn’t seen this thread when I bought four Meross MSS310 power switches. These are Wifi TCP/IP based devices and they are working well with my Home Assistant using the Meross LAN integration in HA.

The meansurement works well, but when I tried swapping the switches around I noticed that there are some discrepancies between them - their calibration is good but not perfect. In particular, the voltage measurement seemed only accurate to about +/-2% so the power measurements were corresponding. But as long as you’re aware that the measurements are approximate, that’s not a problem.

Their Meross app (Android) is cloud based - I suspect this means that the devices call out to the Meross cloud service regularly. I’m not aware whether this can be disabled.

I also bought the meross ones without seeing this thread. They’re great when connected. Problem I have is that they randomly disconnect every few days. Hoping a firmware update may resolve this in future but won’t be buying any more until this stops.

gave up waiting on a magical Zigbee solution to emerge that didn’t cost the earth, so have gone for 4 of the localbytes with ESP home after hearing the rave reviews. Excited to get that sweet sweet energy monitoring into my energy dash…

1 Like

I also use the Sonoff UK plugs, they work great with ZHA and are useful for dumb lamps etc. They’re just okay as routers though as they don’t seem to have a strong signal strength.

When I need power monitoring I wait for the Hive UK plugs to go on sale, they also work great with ZHA, operate much better as routers, and have power monitoring built in. I have one on my dishwasher that routes my zigbee network to another one on my garage freezer (through three brick walls) that then routes my zigbee network to another one in my garden office (brick wall + wooden wall with insulation).