What are the best UK plugs with energy monitoring

Appreciate that local bytes plugs are good, but I’d really prefer some Zigbee ones. Currently have 4 Sonoff I got for £20, but honestly can’t find uses for them, since they don’t have power monitoring. Hence I’m still looking for the definitive UK zigbee router smart plug with power monitoring, and cheap.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

These work out at 13.50 each if you buy 2

https://amzn.eu/d/5xwhGAj

I did this, you need to install Tasmota minimal, and then upload an Esphome bin file. I found one on here and changed it to suit my configs. Let me know if you can’t find and I’ll post mine

1 Like

If you could that would be great, don’t want to mess them up!

I use these. They work well Imgur: The magic of the Internet. Although all my battery devices still prefer to connect via my hue lights (although I do have multiple bulbs / lamps in every room so maybe not surprising). They are listed as supported devices on z2m Develco SPLZB-134 control via MQTT | Zigbee2MQTT . I have 4 of them, only trouble is they so expensive. https://www.amazon.co.uk/20201300-Intelligent-Electricity-Automation-SmartThings/dp/B08WXSZPG2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2MS81WXLOX6N5&keywords=frient+smart+plug&qid=1673174449&sprefix=frient+plug%2Caps%2C67&sr=8-5

@Holdestmade Thanks. The reviews are not very promising… Plus they come from China so same as buying from AliExpress.

@thebatfink Thanks, wow yeah, pricey.

Aye, sometimes cheaper. They are nice also as very small. Barely bigger than a plug so no problem using them side by side on extension leads.

Hi,

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I am struggling to find smart plugs that could fully populate all outputs on this Belkin extension cable, if needed:

I currently run TPLink Kasa but one plug takes up the space above and to the side of the socket, so I lose out on 2 outlets for each plug on this lead. So can only fit 2 Kasa plugs in total.

I borrowed a TPLink Tapo to see if that would work, it is a bit better but it blocks above the plug, so I can fit 4 in to one of the extension leads.

Would the Tasmota plugs from my local bytes be a better solution if I wanted occupy all 8 outlets on this extension lead with a smart plug?

There is only about 15mm from the top of the earth pin to the top of the earth pin on the opposite side.

Thank you.

Just bought a couple of the LocalBytes plugs. Really good, super responsive and very easy to follow instructions. I had 2 up and running in less than 5 minutes.

Probably a dumb question. When I add to the Energy monitoring in HA, I’ve got the option of ENERGY Total, and ENERGY Today. I’m currently using Today, but not sure that’s right.

What metric did other use?

1 Like

Made an account just to say I’ll third the double 13A request!

I can confirm the LocalBytes plugs work great with HA and I’m very happy with them.

2 Likes

Shelly are getting in on the action

https://www.shelly.cloud/en-gb/products/product-overview/shelly-plus-plug-uk

I presume the uk store will stock them too at some point.

1 Like

This post started with the comment that TP Link have “kicked us out”… I’ve probably missed something but what’s wrong with TP-Link? Still seems to work fine for me.

At the time TP-Link killed the local API with a firmware update. Looks like since then there’s been workarounds and new tools.

But for a while Tp-link wouldn’t let anyone use the HS110 outside of there app and it was cloud only.

I would love this! I currently have 12 Local Bytes smart plugs and think they’re excellent, but would dearly like to have an integrated power monitoring dual-gang 13A socket that worked with HA - for those situations where an external socket doesn’t look so tidy (I’m thinking about worktop sockets in the kitchen for example).

@AAllport - following the socials, but are you guys thinking of making over to Mastodon soon?! Lots of HomeAssistant activity over there :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words!

I did try to start with Masterdon but got decision paralysis deciding on a host.
Vaguely recall trying to set up an account with fosstodon.org, but they dropped my request without comment.

Besides, I barely have time to manage the Forum, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had a bunch of health issues to take care of recently, but, hoping to get back to some exciting projects :soon:!

Edit: Okay… we did a thing - Local Bytes: "Hello World!" - Fosstodon

Thanks for your work , just ordered 8 :+1:t3:

Is there any update on the possibility of the 13A socket with power monitoring ?

@AAllport after reading this thread I went to place an order for the energy monitoring plugs, and a couple of other bits, but you’re out of stock, do you know when you’re going to get the UK pugs back in again. Also would you suggest the ESPHOME version or Tasmota? Thanks also I’d love to see the uk double sockets with energy monitoring, but I can’t find any either

I use Aurora Zigbee double sockets and they have power monitoring. They (Aurora) have now gone but you can still find them new online (try ebay, they are a lot cheaper there). Aurora will still honour warranties apparently.