What mesh wifi to consider in 2024?

Do you have an actual contribution to make?

Indeed, people should verify, but people also come to the forum for help. Merely pointing them away isn’t helpful. Manufacturers also overstate things, so community forums are important in this regard. Plus, networking for most people isn’t simple, neither does everybody want to become an expert.

If you think anything inaccurate has been said, please call it out. Making wild accusations aren’t helpful.

I don’t believe that’s the case. I didn’t get the impression that responders here were competing — rather complementing (not complimenting) each other. How you should plan for the future is a subjective matter and partly speculative. Which devices you buy and how you setup your network involves many factors: some best practices, some security, cost and some preferences.

I know !, and i also “missed” Olivers first line “An Open Discussion” , which together with the Header, is in fact Topic which belongs to the Social-Category

Initially, he also “missed” the points, that his WIFI used to be good, But that his ISP Changed his Router, And that he have 10" reinforced celings/walls
I Say “missed” because somehow i think it might not have been such an “Open Discussion” he intended to create, but in fact wanted help/suggestion for a solution ( for his current situation )

And quite fast he also mention " I’m confused " , So, he is referring to his Current “Network” Situation, where he initially Post a Topic with a Header(For an Open Wifi discussion), leaving out essential factors such as his ISP’s degradation of their(his previously “good” ) Device ( Without mentions "which Device ?) initially, and his concrete walls/ceilings

For me it’s fine with " Open Discussions " , and as you also mention

Then People also seems to do the same, And this “Topic” does indeed focus on WIFI (atleast in Header) , and so it also seems that some totally neglects the fact that a “Total” focus upon WIFI ( Fill the House With WIFI Devices/Signals) , is rather in conflict with the fact, that OP might also want his +40 Zigbee Device And Bluetooth to work flawless to ( With Additional Devices in near future also ofcause )

When people ends up in individual discussions( or complementing if you like) , Spite the fact that most have been said … ( i did my self, due to a “person” referring to my commends, in a sort of “rant” approach, beside probably totally misunderstood what he commended on, or He just felt for “ranting” ).
Then Yes it’s an “Open Discussion” not commends towards OP and His current situation/issues.

Im Pretty sure Oliver have learned some in this Topic, spite he early said “He is Confused” ( For some reason !, Not sure what he expected to “hear” ), and he had already done research, in other Topics/Medias.

Yeah, i know, don’t jump into a rabbit-hole

1 Like

I’m following, I’m skipping the debate about Ethernet cable CAT because it is less relevant for my case.
I’ve not a lot of client that really need speed. Only from my computer to my NAS, otherwise it is not critical. And my Synology has only a 1 Gbps interface so …

I’m selecting all the brands and models of post with constructed arguments, not “just take that”. With this list I’m going on independant reviewer sites (like “Les Numeriques” in French)

I’m not in a hurry as my network is crappy for monthes now, I’ll invest in a good solution and it will take time, the goal of the OP was to trigger a debate, not about CAT5e vs CAT6 / CAT6A but more about why who selected which material.

At the end, everyone will pick from this looong thread what is relevant for him/her.

I’m happy with the discussion even if it goes away from my initial concern. Because at first I did not plan to do anything else than reinforcing my WiFi but now that I learn about SDN and stuffs, I want more :smiley:

EDIT : And, yes, @frits1980 probably nobody but me will read everything but, hey, it is available for who wants to do it anyway.

1 Like

Yes, like I said before, my advise is to go to other websites to get info.

Again, the same answer. And yes, it might not be what you want to hear, but this is a forum for Home Assistant and not a forum for IP networking.

I’ve stopped doing that and this thread is an example of why it doesn’t work. People read or hear some stuff and think they know the facts. If you then point then out it isn’t so, you only get a bad reaction.
Apparently brands like Asus don’t even do their homework or just don’t care about what is right. Asus is nothing but a marketing company selling network stuff imho. And if people believe what Asus has to say, who am I to point then out it isn’t correct.

I wasn’t really bothered by the whole cable discussion. It was more about the facts presented as thruths about wifi networks, meshes and roaming combined with the lack of information about frequencies, channels and bandwidth.

As my tags are Hardware and WiFi, it is obvious that even if at the end it is for my network to support my Home Assistant configuration, it is about networking and hardware. Those categories are not related to HA specifically but will help improving the reliability of my domotic.

Therefore it has its place in this community forum IMO.

EDIT: Everyone has his bias. I’ll probably also sometimes say something that I believe is true but it is part of a critical mindset to review his believes, fact check what others say and forge your opnion. And, at the end, be ready to change it again.

True, but I mean, don’t expect people to be experts on this forum. It’s a whole different ball game.

1 Like

I don’t but I value their opinion and I’ll use it as material for my (for now) final decision.

2 Likes

My point with the CAT5e vs CAT6 / CAT6A is that even if you might not need the bandwidth now, you might down the line 5 years / 10 years in the future. If you are doing the job of pulling cables now you should take that into account, the cost difference isn’t huge from 5e to 6 anyway.

1 Like

I got the point don’t worry.
And I fully understand the “for futur use”.

The thing is that I’ll most probably go with some cable trunking solution because of the bunker I’m living in and it’ll always be possible to replace one cable or another with a tire-câble (don’t know the word in English, sorry).

Plus, I’m 50 years old, in 10 or 15 years my kids will be gone and I’ll have to move from this 4 bedrooms house because it will be too big to maintain anyway and I’ll be 65 damn it :smiley:

So the future is a flat for my old days and technology will be so much different in 15 years.

Nevertheless, your comment might be usefull for someone else, that’s why I’m happy with this thread anyway.

I understand and see the validity of your sentiment and points. I’m not a networking expert, but I don’t think the communities are isolated: there are experts on that front around here too (and less experienced users can make valid points). Granted, it can be hard to discern good advice from bad advice, which is all the more reason that people like yourself should remain vigilant and involved. Setting up an IoT network is directly adjacent to running an HA system, so I don’t think it’s practical to keep it all apart.

This is where my recommendation leads too.

Wire is best but wire is a pain to pull. When pulling wire pull as much of the best wire you can actually afford and put it in conduit with an extra pull line for ten years from now.

Wireless stick with the best most stable

actually ratified wifi spec (currently 6e - and the nature of my comment above - 7 is barely a ratified spec yet… It doest even really become a thing until end of the year so anyone advertising now is marketingspeak… Dave I get your Tesla but nope. Ferrari (also central Texas is devoid of chargers. Got a few more years for an Ev here… )

1 Like

Since I had some comments about the facts here are the ones I hold on to since the early days until now:

First of, some explanation about wording:

Router: A device which translates traffic from one network to another. Usually LAN and WAN networks.
AP: Access Point, a simple device providing Wifi access and translating it to another form of access. Usually Wifi to a Cable network, but it could also be Wifi to Wifi. I’ll explain that later in the Mesh network part.
Mesh networks: there are two types of meshing in Wifi land; 1. the early days way, wifi being used to “extend” range, which is crappy and still gives lower bandwidth the further your away from the originating point. 2. Meshing the new way, creating a seperate 5ghz wifi network (hidden) to let the meshing devices talk to each other. Also every meshing device creates a new hidden access point for the next device, keeping the bandwidth high and ensuring a good coverage.
Seamless Roaming: Everybody is talking about roaming, something every smartphone does from day one. But since a decade or so Seamless roaming has become the standard and like the name says, it’s seamless. But is is important to know the difference, because if you setup a network with different AP’s (from different brands) chances are that roaming works, but Seamless roaming does not. There is a technical explanation for it, but the easiest route is to go for 1 brand only (even 1 series within a brand is sometimes needed to make it work).
Band Steering: It’s the system that decides if a higher bandwidth connection is possible and will “steer” the device towards this higher bandwidth connection, usually from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz and so on.
Beamforming: AP’s send there signal in a certain direction, depending on the make and use of different antenna’s. For home and office uses they try to make this omnidirectional. The downside of that is that it has to average out the signal over the whole plane. And the reach of this signal is pretty short because of that. And as hopefully everybody know, the further you get away from the AP, the less bandwidth you will get. To make that a little better Beamforming has been invented. It tries to create some sort of signal “beam” to every connected device to get a little higher bandwidth.
MU-MIMO: What this means is that an AP can supply access to mutliple devices at the same time. MIMO Provides multiple inputs and outputs to a single client. MU-MIMO provides that to multiple users at once. So that is important if you have lots of clients using Wifi at the same time, offices or public buildings. At home you won’t notice the difference.
Airtime Fairness: This is important for the use of old devices within a network. And don’t get me wrong, a brand new washing machine with “smart” capabilities can be a device like that, because they often use old / slow wifi hardware for those. What Airtime Fairness does is create “time slots” for connections to transfer data to prevent slow devices from cluttering the network and make sure fast devices don’t become slow because of all slow devices. It’s a little more complicated, but this is the easy explanation.

Now to the good part, how to get good wifi coverage in your home. There are a couple of things you need to consider before getting AP’s and routers.
First make a map of all devices you want to connect to Wifi, and add there way of connecting (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax/be). All devices have this somewhere in the specifications, so look it up.

After you have done so, you need to look for central spots in that map to place your AP’s. Those spots can be determined by the reach of cable or ideally by the range for the Wifi on the map.
I which I could give a table with the ranges for different Wifi frequencies and there bandwidth, but that is different in every country and with every AP. I say country, because every country have it’s own laws about how much Watt you are allowed to transmit in the air per frequency. Yes, by changing the country in the settings of some AP’s / routers you can mislead your device into sending at a higher Wattage, but you will be doing something illegal. Also, less and less devices are actually doing that nowadays.
Besides the possible range by the device you have to account for interference with other wireless networks, walls (box of faraday effect) and other interference of certain devices (microwave ovens for instance).
Keeping all that in mind, you could create a map with an global idea of what you might need in order to create coverage for every single device you have or plan to have in the future.
If you can’t get cables to the ideal places it’s no big deal. There are two ways to solve that: create a mesh network, or place the AP’s in a less optimal spot. The latter is easy and might work in some cases. Though if it doesn’t you have to get a mesh network. BUT, mesh networks are not the holy grail, to solve all your problems. So only use them in places where you have no other choice.
There is one exception, and that is ethernet over powerlines. In my opinion that could work even better then a mesh network, but it depends on the types of devices you have on you powerlines. For instance a vacuum cleaner motor tends to pull a lot of power on start and therefore might interfere with that ethernet over powerline stuff. So only go that route if that AP isn’t the most critical.
Now that you have that, you can buy some AP’s I say AP’s, because most of you only need one router, and that is probably provided by your Internet Provider already. Getting your own router and removing the one from the provider is a different discussion for another time.
The brand of AP’s and the series is not important, what is important is what is offers you and what you need. So look at the explanation of words above and see what you need for your network to work.
If you wan’t HA to integrate with it, don’t forget to look for it in the list of integration.
After you place all AP’s you have to do some things to make it perfect. Though there are devices that can do everything by themselves, i’m old fashioned and like to do it myself. If you have neighbours, you can use an app on your phone to measure the amount of interference from their Wifi and use different channels. And if you have a Zigbee network (look up which channel it is on) you have to keep that in mind also. For the 2.4Ghz bandwidth that is.

In this image they assume you use the widest channel width possible by the way. In almost every AP you can choose the channel width (20Mhz, 40Mhz, 80Mhz). Keep in mind, the higher the number (80Mhz) the smaller the width, thought the higher it’s throughput to it’s clients is. But because it’s width is smaller the chances of connection failures / interference from other devices is more likely.
Also keep in mind that the higher the frequency (2.4Ghz, 5Ghz or 6Ghz) the shorter the range. So a TV which streams 4K over Wifi should relatively be close to the AP to do that. A washing machine on the other hand could be on the very outside of the range.
Misconception number one is a gaming PC or console, depending on the type of gaming of course, should be wired.
You can start by setting everything up and leave everything to automatic. If it all works you can even leave it at that, but if you ever experience some anomaly. You do have to figure out which setting to change. Sorry, that will be another discussion for another time.

If I missed something, please ask. Good luck to you all. And remember, every situation is different, so when somebody says: you have to get this and that because all the other stuff doesn’t work, only mean it didn’t work for them in their particular situation.

4 Likes