What mesh wifi to consider in 2024?

I’m not advocating to get 10 years old devices, just saying it really is ok to get what is available now. There is always something new around the corner.

You all know you are making the OP dizzy, right?

3 Likes

Tell that to the minions, whos PS5 Pro game streaming is lagging or the ‘significant others’ 8K video fashion shopping experience is pixelated… :upside_down_face:

There is no way you have a single device in the house that would come close to needing a 1gb connection.
If you have 10 8k tv’s maybe accum your router would need that, but otherwise…

:magic_wand:

2 Likes

I would agree with your point if we are talking physical wire connection (ethernet), a very different scenario in the wireless space as I understand… and have experienced (this is where all these QAM^3/MMIO technologies are making these new access points so spendy and hopefully performant) Need that ‘it’s magic’ gif inserted here :wink:

Yeah, right. What even is “8K video fashion shopping experience”? Also, 8k video with a proper codec would still not be that huge bitrate. For comparison, Netflix recommends 15 Mbps for 4k. 15! My old and rather shitty wifi 5 router does over 200 in practice. But I would still recommend cable for such application anyway.

Ubiquiti does sell Unifi gear that are wall mountable, but yes, you’ll compromise a bit on the antennae’s radiation pattern. While nothing special, their wall mountable units are sold as mesh (they can all do meshing).

Interesting reference material, thank you!

Is it correct to say the ‘more red’ the better?

It is just so difficult to buy something for the relative ‘long term’ at home automation price levels : ‘On 8 January 2024, the Wi-Fi Alliance introduced its “Wi-Fi Certified 7” program to certify Wi-Fi 7 devices. While final ratification is not expected until the end of 2024, the technical requirements are essentially complete.’

Ooops at the end of 2024, I am sure the conversation will be ‘WiFi 8’ …

I only have one FullHD and can’t remember the last time it was turned on.

The long term solution for anyone is to run ethernet in the walls if they can to each room and ceiling point where the AP’s have the best cross coverage of the entire home.

This way all you need is a switch with the number of ports in the room based on the number of devices that you have that require a ethernet based connection to get the most out of it.

For overall futureproofing you may as well just run 6a to terminate at each end and use premade cat6 cables to plug in as needed. (I use the belkin branded ones at this time).

Wifi 6E, vs 7; the main differences and requirements are to have client devices that can take advantage of the the Extremely High Throughput (EHT) part of the tech, where as 6E just brings in not just 5.8Ghz band for Tri-band setup but brings in more reliable delivery of the data to client devices where you need that higher throughput and lower latency than previous standards which is also reliant on devices to support 802.11AX and 802.11BE.

Most consumer devices will still be AX capable for a while so you really are just planning out your network AP setup for what you intend to use at the time of setup and upgrade as needed down the line.

Keep in mind as well that most wifi based smart home devices will be using the 2.4Ghz band for setup and connection if you go with them for certain setups you want to confg so you either have a dediacted SSID setup for IoT devices or test if they can connect when using tri-band smart connect when the same SSID is shared across all the bands on the AP.

I personally at this time have an Asus RT-AX88U as my primary AP in my setup with a single RT-AX92U as my AIMesh node in the bedroom to allow one of my cameras to use the 5.8Ghz backhaul and act as a wifi camera with a poe injector to provide power to the camera.

Modern nodes that support meshing just means its easier to setup seamless roaming between points for wireless clients out of the box and less need to run cable runs for specific spots where you need that connection when you can’t do so whilst haveing those extra nodes in the setup heal the connection between them as they act as fail overs.

1 Like

I will not even go down the rabbit hole of convincing the ‘significant other’ that these really match the living room and bedroom decor :wink: It’s a hat rack dear…

heh… it does not have to be the same ones I have exactly, just examples of what I am using at this time for what to look for tech wise.

I am planning as I have the budget upgrade my entire setup to 2.5GbE if not 10GbE for the sake of it when I can after I upgrade my NAS to one with more bays etc.

I Live alone so I don’t have to really focus on what pleases someone else:

I poo hoo’ed the 2.5+ GbE for a while, however have back tracked on that. I think you are wise to install these back hauls. Having room local 6 GHz wifi for the minions devices PS5’s, M4 iPads… this is the quickly evolving reality served by ethernet pipes to each room and a WiFi 7 access point in each room that will for the most part not penetrate out beyond the walls of each room seem to be closest to 'future proofing I can project for ‘this week’…

Good hunting!

This topic has been so much fun to read. Besides the fact that it has all been discussed before. And everybody has there own way of interpreting the wording of different manufacturers. Very funny.

I which everybody in here good luck with their setup. My only advise to the once who need help: do your homework by yourselve and read up on networking essentials on websites other then manufacturers and forums. There are so many people who think they know it all and tell it like it is the truth.

For everybody else: keep going, it’s funny!

Just for reference my wifi reaches 50m from where I am in my building with clear line of site to just where the bins are on the parking lot side and on the right side where there is brick walls blocking it reaches about 20m to just where the side path goes around a corner of the block in front on mine which is through 3 brick walls.

That’s with the transmission rate set to max in the router settings for the AX88U.

Does that include 6 GHz spectrum devices? In my little messing around with cards for laptops in this spectrum, some of them barely get across a small bedroom. I think this is mostly not up to snuff antenna design for this spectrum, however the power and reach in this spectrum really is different than 2.4 GHz.

I have smart connect setup so that it auto swaps based on signal strength:

I use this tool to find the optimal settings for my setup:

edit: The only thing I still need to get in the habit with is making sure I unlock the phone to let tasker run the task to connect my openvpn profile I use when not home and not connected to my SSID for on the go access to my internal network and HA setup.

I would call it tragic-comic , OP might learn a peace here and there, Maybe with another “Specific Header” he might have avoided that his Topic turned into a competition ( I believe the “Social-Category” is the right Forum for these “conversations”). Or maybe it was OP’s intention Hope he’s not to confused and can sleep at night :laughing:

lol I don’t intend to compete with others… I try post in ways to help give the person ideas based on what I have at the time and my experience so that they can better plan out their setup with the budget they have to work with.

1 Like

A less negative dB value means less attenuation, which is more red, yes. These are ideal patterns, of course.