What Wall Switch Options are there?

Thank you @KBrown for a great explanation of the Ankuoo. I think it’s just what I need to replace my old MyQ switches.

I have a python program that sends a command to the sonoff s20 on/off with a gpio 12,1 command.
How would I do this with the Ankuoo? Nevermind I think maybe just an automation
Thanks

Like the OP, Im also in South Africa but a beginner with HA stuff.

Just wanted to find out, what do I need to look for to determine if a switch will work in SA, we use 220V.

Also, do I need to look for something with US dimensions?

You need to tell us what sort of wall boxes you have before anyone can tell you what format/size you need to buy.

Thanks for the response.

I’ll get a picture of it tonight and post back here.

I decided to give this sonoff box and decora style switch a try and printed one up.
The original plan is here:

I made a modification so that flexible wires would come out of the back instead and it is here:

Mine doesn’t look as good simply because I printed course and did no cleanup afterward. Plus, I used too high of a resistor value and my LED is pretty dim. It looks fine in the dark though.
1 Like

Just want to add that you can now setup your own zigbee gateway. This way you can use Xiaomi /Aqara switches and sensors without their special gateway. Cheaper, more convenient, has better integration with HA and less likely to break if Xiaomi decide to change firmware/app.
See

for more details.

2 Likes

Hey there.

Nice to see different solutions. I didn’t like “smart bulbs” from the beginning (not useful with chandelier, expensive, not practical to change), so I use 433 rf once. But I can not get the state frome them.
And I do not have neutral of course=)
Loved aqara, but they are square… as I see, sonoff switches are popular, but is it a good idea, to get more 10 devices on router? Do they work stable? What if I can not give them static IP from router? Or maybe they connect via wi fi to raspberry, without getting to router? It seems to me, that ecosystem, where RP gives commands to devices directly, is more clever.
It is hard to choose.

One mote time:

-love stability!
-no neutral
-no static ip from router
-would like to see the state
-would like to be it cheap (25$ is fine)

Do I want too much?

You want too much if you don’t tell us what part of the world you are in, because size/format is very country dependent.

Russia

Asked local xiaomi shop, it seem’s that they are not going to make round switch yet.
so, what about sonoffs?

https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/sonoff-t1-eu.html

they need a neutral

He asked about sonoff, I pointed to the page.

Do not forget origin question, leave it siri to do.

I can confirm that the GresaTek from amazon are tasmota flash-able as well.

Hey,

I just discovered a new product (I think it is pretty new) called BTicino living now.

It is zigbee with a gateway zigbee wifi.

Do you think that I can use it on HA?

Buy it and try it.

I wish I was a programmer!

I can help but I’m not able to build something from scratch.

I saw that it seems that api should be avaible :slight_smile:

I just installed one yesterday, without a neutral. It’s the two button version, and it just needs a common input (L) and two outputs (L1 and L2), one for each light. Apparently this model drains some energy from L even when both lights are off, so it doesn’t need a neutral. Be careful, though, because there’s an almost identical model that specifically needs a neutral.

can you post a link to the one you bought please?