What will happend if I use homeassistant in local internet(without WAN network connection)

Can i use homeassistant in a completely offline environment? The whole local network won’t connect to internet after install. Is that OK? Will the function of control local device unavailable? Can i still use components(like mqtt or so)?

If you are using Hassio you need an Internet connection when first setting it up. After that you can operate locally.

Things that require an internet connection like TTS, Chromecast devices, and cloud services wont work and you wont be able to update but HA will communicate with local devices (like an mqtt broker addon).

Actually you might have a problem with NTP as well. This is not configurable in Hassio. One of the other installation methods might be better.

Of course you can. Why on earth would you need to connect to the internet?

Because Hassio has hard coded Google ntp servers?

Pretty sure it can be changed

2 Likes

It can be done. In fact there are many here that strive to be 100% UNdependent on the Internet, myself included. Having things in your home all of the sudden not work because a circuit board overheated at some telecom switching office across town is not my idea of a good time.
Anyway… yes, just be very careful about your hardware selections. Many devices don’t tell you upfront that you need their cloud services to function (without extensive modifications), ie. Nest, Wink, Tuya, most locks, most thermostats…

This is not a reason to avoid being connected to the internet. It’s a reason to avoid cloud devices. An internet connection is useful in other ways, e.g. telling you your house is on fire or being burgled while you are away.

Very little in my system would cease to function if I lost my main connection to the Internet - some weather functions mostly - I avoid cloud devices. I would even still be able to receive notifications from my HA server via a backup 4G cellular connection. Being connected can be a good thing.

Which is why everyone should look at the HA component page for these devices before purchasing. The device type it is listed upper right - local polling, local push, cloud polling, etc…

Hm, if that is a reason not to use the internet you might as well not play online games or watch netflix either. Cause who knows some circuit becomes fried and your movie stops playing. (It is a joke ey, don’t take it personal)

Anyways, I understand why you would want it to work offline. In my situation there are components that work offline (tradfri, mqtt etc) and some that don’t (speedtest, rdw, upcoming media etc). I think going fully offline is something that is nearly impossible unless you like to keep it all very simple. (As in don’t use automations that requires a certain state that can only be fetched through the internet).

I disagree, a bit. Using non cloud connected sensors and controllers for complex automation of important things like lighting and heating is easy to do. Getting weather forecasts to predict climate and irrigation control… not so much. But that still does not stop you creating some quite complex automation (and manually controlling) these devices if there is a problem with your Internet connection. Create both types of automations (based on local sensors and on internet supplied forecasts) and you can’t go wrong. Unless you’re bad at indentation and spelling. Then things go wrong all the god damn time. :smiley:

1 Like

Just to clarify this comment, there are a few ways to install Home Assistant, and just one of them is Hassio. All the install methods install the exact same Home Assistant, but Hassio has a nice wrapper around it that makes install and stuff easier.

Nah but that is what I meant. To take full advantage of Home Assistant, you can’t just go offline only. For example the weather example you just said. Ofcourse all things that can be offline should be done offline.

Basically what I meant is that to get the most of HA you can’t go fully offline (although that is just my opinion). Device tracking for instance outside the house is a great example of this.

But I understand where you’re getting at.

The question was whether home assistant can work without the internet. The answer is clearly ‘yes’. But not every component will work.

1 Like

thanks! But will I got problems on icon shown? Did homeassistant use network icon resources? Or local icon resources.

But will I got problems on icon shown? Did homeassistant use network icon resources? Or local icon resources.Thanks.

I knew but I mean i would like to keep my LAN without WAN connection(but i got another Lan with WAN connection to let me view the homeassistant UI)

That was a reply to Dixey. Not you.

And no you won’t have a problem with icons. MDI icons are included in the HA image.

The default icons you see are all included in the basic software. You’re good.

I installed home assistant on my network with internet, and tried to move it to another network router with out internet and I cant get it to start up to where I can see it on the browser. I can get it working if I move it back to the network I installed it from that is connected to the internet, but I cant get it to connect to a browser with the new modem? Any ideas on why it wont start up completely on new router, they are both netgear routers?

no logs = no issues.

are you suggesting I post my logs to help determine the problem, or are you saying the logs are what is causing my issue?