What's your favourite ESP32 board? (# Best, good, cheap, quality, reliable)

I guess so. Yeah fair enough. I didn’t know that context.

Anyway, doesn’t hurt to ask the same question over there - probably more EU QuinLED users over there.

Hey @JetSerge and others. I wanted to give a quick update.

My go-to ESP32 is the M5Stamp C3U now.

It is small, convenient, and pretty. Perfect for most simple use cases (your typical sensor/actor node).
ESPHome:

esphome:
  name: testing-esp
  friendly_name: Testing ESP

esp32:
  board: esp32dev
  framework:
    type: arduino

The company behind this series is fast. There is once again a newer product listed on their webpage: M5Stamp ESP32S3 Module | m5stack-store

3 Likes

Lolin/Wemos ESP32S3 mini - lots of IO, S3 - psram, fast like sanic, onboard RGB led. My go-to.

3 Likes

Does anyone have experience with the Bee S3? It is open hardware, which is always nice to see, and looks pretty interesting. The same developer also has a version with a PIR sensor already on it and a “data logger” version, though these other two are significantly more expensive, maybe party due to the support for LiPo charging. Anyway, I wonder how well they would work in esphome - I assume it would be easy enough since it has a library for Arduino.

Does anyone have recommendations for a good module with an ESP32-C6 or H2? I’m curious to try out the Zigbee capabilities.

I guess the first step for you would be then to add ZigBee support for esphome.

Ah, of course - I guess these are new enough that ESPHome doesn’t support it yet anyway…

If you want to use the zigbee capabilities you probably need to go C++.

This sounds really promising for solar powered projects, but the gadget is not yet available:

2 Likes

Anyone care to share experiences of using a small footprint ESP32 that has a UART and I2C or UART and I2S, plus 6 GPIO pins. Working on WiFi and powered by 5V.

I’ve tried the Seeed Studio Xiao ESP32C3 but with very mixed results so looking for an alternative.

I recall seeing TinyPico’s were getting good reviews for a while.
Not sure if things have moved on.

1 Like

I have been playing with the ESP32-C3 Super Mini, the chip antenna is a bit less sensitive than other types but it seems to work fine. Then again sometimes the C3 is just a pain to get working for no apparent reason.

Can’t add an image at the moment, but here is the item on the Tasmota site.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful. Thanks for sharing!
What’s your issue with the ESP32-C3? Unproblematic with ESPHome from my experience.

@gaz99 Do you mind saying what interfaces you’ve got running, or have had success in running? On the Xiao C3 I’ve had trouble with anything that requires a UART, evenually got a combination that works with UART and GPIO but not with UART and I2C or with UART and I2S.

I looked at the SuperMini-ESP32-C3 previously, but can’t remember now why I went for the Xiao C3. Maybe need to try it and see?

I have a $2 C3 SuperMini running Upsy Desky (standing desk automation with a web server), plus ble_client/esp32_ble_tracker with 3 devices. No issues so far. It even somehow works with non-level shifted 5V on GPIO without burning.

1 Like

The earlier esps are “5V tolerant”. Although there’s a fair bit of debate about it.
https://voodoo.business/2021/05/19/are-the-esp32-and-esp8266-5v-tolerant-yes-they-officially-are/

Newer variants may be the same.

I have one of the Super Minis in use but it only uses a couple of output for LEDS and I2c.

I also have a solar/battery powered T-01C3 with an external antenna in my garden shed but that is I2c only.

2 Likes

With this config I got the ESP32-C3 Super Mini working (took it from another post, not mine)

esphome:
  name: $device_name
  friendly_name: $friendly_name
  platformio_options:
    board_build.flash_mode: dio
    board_build.f_cpu: 80000000L
    board_upload.flash_size: 4MB

esp32:
  variant: ESP32C3
  board: esp32-c3-devkitm-1
  framework:
    type: esp-idf
1 Like

For eveyone that’s used an ESP32-C3 Super Mini, what configuration did you use? How easy was it to get to a working configuration?

I’ve just tried to compile a simle test config and it was as difficult as the Seeed Studio Xiao to get it to compile. I don’t have hardware to test against as yet.

For the Xiao, even after I could get the code to compile it still wouldn’t necessarily work, especially if I had a UART and a I2C or I2S configured.