What's your favourite ESP32 board? (# Best, good, cheap, quality, reliable)

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can make a recommendation. I have PIR (and MMWave) sensors attached to a cheap alibaba ESP32 Dev Board. And I am constantly getting false positives. I have four of these sensors , some are worse then others, with the bathroom being the worst (I think it is the tiled room, I have tried using one of the other sensors with the same effects)

I have added ferrites, made it a bit better sometimes.

Have added the expensive Panasonic PIRs, better but still happening every now and again.

I’m thinking its the board, is there another more expensive board with better EM management? Something not so leaky?

What you are experiencing is most likely interference of ESP’s WIFI signal with your sensor components. This is a known problem and I can give you recommendations for both PIR and mmWave. But that is a very different topic and I suggest that we do not hijack this thread with it. Please open up a dedicated thread for your question, leave a link here, and I will be happy to share what I know.

3 Likes

Thanks, I guess it was a bit of TLDR lol, I know its an EM issue with the board, its the board I’m asking about, not the PIR or the MMwave, I have those covered. Just giving context.

I do have a post about it. But, I was here to ask in one line, would getting a more expensive board fix my issues and what boards have people had good experiences with :slight_smile:

Thanks all :slight_smile:

I haven’t heard any complaints about QuinLED’s, only recommendations…

So if you want something good quality without doing oodles of research, that’s probably a good place to start.

2 Likes

Nope, I read your post thoroughly. But I am simply not convinced that you solved the basic problem of RF interference. Ferrites will not help as you get strong induced signals right in the sensor PCBs. I have solutions for you but they are about the sensors and not about the ESP, so not fitting here.

I get what you are saying, and thank you, I’m not trying to go round in circles with you here :slight_smile:

What I’m asking is… would a more expensive board have less RF interference because of the better components. I feel, I have the best components on the sensor side, is it time to change the board and if so, what’s the best board for this type of project :slight_smile:

Good overview of the newer ESP32 variants… C3, S2, S3.

7 Likes

Hello!. Any specific development board with terminal blocks for the QuinLED-ESP32 with soldered pins that anyone could recommend? Thanks

I’d love to hear people’s recommendations on ESP32s for low power deep sleep battery projects too.

Like along the lines of “I’ve been using board x and it wakes y times per day to do blah and it lasts z days off of a 1mah battery, and it doesn’t even play weird silly-buggers, it has just been rock solid since dinosaurs :t_rex::t_rex:”.

Edit: Andreas Spiess’ awesome spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Mu-bNwpnkiNUiM7f2dx8-gPnIAFMibsC2hMlWhIHbPQ/htmlview?pli=1

3 Likes

Just found an ESP-01 variant I have not seen before on Ali Ex.

The T-01C3 uses the ESP32-C3 and has the same form factor and pinout as the original and could be a good replacement where bluetooth is needed.

More info here: https://github.com/Xinyuan-LilyGO/T-01C3

4 Likes

Makes sense. I believe the C3 has been positioned as somewhat of a “ESP8266 but with Bluetooth”

It can be just bad luck, but my LilyGo / TTGO ESP32 POE failed on me after about 1,5 years of usage. The chip and ethernet still work, but PoE fails. Funny since PoE was chosen for reliability reasons :roll_eyes:

I just switched off PoE in my switch and power it over USB now. Easy in this case and still connected to my UPS. I was planning to add one at a more remote location, but I’m in doubt about that now.

2 Likes

They look good. I’ve been looking to get one for glow project but need to figure out how to power it up as meter has no gpo.

Got me thinking, something like this, not sure though.

I love the Quinleds but wouldn’t recommend them for low power projects (tested).

I like and can recommend the LILYGO® TTGO T7 V1.5 Mini32 if you remove the led (as per vid in link above)

I also can recommend the sunflower solar power manager.

I’m not sure if you need it to be on 24/7 but that could be challenging. Mine sleeps a lot.

2 Likes

Deep Sleep: Firebeetle 32-E
(“Experimental”?)

I’m trying to build up more deep sleep esp32 recommendations so adding this here.

Feel free to add more details @johnBoy.

did you find any good store?

They are available now.

in a EU shop or a shop which is declairing VAT?

You could ask/search on the QuinLED Discord server.

If there’s not something existing they may think about a new distribution channel to reduce costs to EU?

There’s even a “Dutch chat” channel on the server, so they might know…

Isn’t that all a bit weird? Both QuinLED (in the Netherlands) and the mother company of Allnet China (in Germany) are EU based. Shouldn’t they have thought about a EU distribution channel already, without requiring our external input?