When will an official migration path to the new Z-wave MQTT module be supported?

I currently still use the older Z-Wave support in HASS, with about 40 nodes. I’m interested in moving to the MQTT beta, as I use MQTT for other things with HASS and it’s been rock solid stable, and I look forward to not having to restart all Z-Wave nodes with every HASS reboot.

However, I cannot find a clear and concise guide to migrate to the new platforms. I’m aware I have to run MQTT (already running) + a new Docker container featuring the ozw daemon image, and from there you can configure it in HASS, but how does the migration path work?

TL;DR what is currently the best way to migrate to the new Z-Wave MQTT system + will there be an automated migration path in the near future?

Bumping this up!

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got

a whole bunch of Z-Wave nodes and 168 entities. I would be really sad if these all got somehow duplicated and I had to delete the old ones and manually rename all the new entities…

Does the new Z-Wave integration somehow adopt all of the existing devices and entities that Home Assistant knows about with the original integration?

1 Like

No word on an official migration path?

I kinda followed this.

That seems like a lot of work for big Z-Wave networks. Ideally, HASS or a third-party would support an automatic migration transfer for all entities.

I wonder when this is planned for release?

PR was merged recently and will be in 2021.2: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/39081

Though with the recent news about the status of the OpenZWave project, it may not be worth it to migrate to OZW and instead hold out for the Z-Wave JS integration.

I haven’t been following that all all. Do you have a link explaining what you mean with “recent news about the status of the OpenZWave project” and why JS integration is better?

OpenZWave project update:

Z-Wave JS info: Move Z-Wave support from OZW to zwave-js · Issue #483 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub

The Z-Wave JS integration will be available in the 2021.2 beta tomorrow (with a few limitations still compared to Z-Wave and OpenZWave)

I’m totally frustrated with trying to get the zwave-mqtt addon running. And now more frustrated that this isn’t address even since Nov '20. is this community failing? I saw one post on this and it has 176+ responses.

A lot of things changed since that post in Nov 2020. The “new zwave MQTT” integration (OpenZWave 1.6) the original post was about doesn’t exist anymore. You should now migrate your legacy ozw 1.4 installation to zwavejs instead. You don’t need MQTT for that (but it’s available for advanced users).

Here is a very extensive migration guide by petro.

There’s also a migration wizard for zwave_js