When will an official migration path to the new Z-wave MQTT module be supported?

I currently still use the older Z-Wave support in HASS, with about 40 nodes. I’m interested in moving to the MQTT beta, as I use MQTT for other things with HASS and it’s been rock solid stable, and I look forward to not having to restart all Z-Wave nodes with every HASS reboot.

However, I cannot find a clear and concise guide to migrate to the new platforms. I’m aware I have to run MQTT (already running) + a new Docker container featuring the ozw daemon image, and from there you can configure it in HASS, but how does the migration path work?

TL;DR what is currently the best way to migrate to the new Z-Wave MQTT system + will there be an automated migration path in the near future?

Bumping this up!

I’m in the same boat. I’ve got

a whole bunch of Z-Wave nodes and 168 entities. I would be really sad if these all got somehow duplicated and I had to delete the old ones and manually rename all the new entities…

Does the new Z-Wave integration somehow adopt all of the existing devices and entities that Home Assistant knows about with the original integration?

1 Like

No word on an official migration path?

I kinda followed this.

That seems like a lot of work for big Z-Wave networks. Ideally, HASS or a third-party would support an automatic migration transfer for all entities.

I wonder when this is planned for release?

PR was merged recently and will be in 2021.2: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/pull/39081

Though with the recent news about the status of the OpenZWave project, it may not be worth it to migrate to OZW and instead hold out for the Z-Wave JS integration.

I haven’t been following that all all. Do you have a link explaining what you mean with “recent news about the status of the OpenZWave project” and why JS integration is better?

OpenZWave project update:

Z-Wave JS info: https://github.com/home-assistant/architecture/issues/483

The Z-Wave JS integration will be available in the 2021.2 beta tomorrow (with a few limitations still compared to Z-Wave and OpenZWave)