Where is the add-on store when running from docker?

But as previously pointed out, Docker install does not provide the add-ons, and the AirSonos add on was what i was wanting

There was some Docker type stuff done in 2016 for AirSonos, but it no longer seems to work

Did you try AirConnect? It’s still actively developed and seems to have the same/better functionality than AirSonos

No, and No,
I assumed they were part of / need HomeAssistant, to run and were not standalone applications

Just about to light fire for midday farm BBQ, but tonight when I get home I’ll look them up, thanks

Back home now and looked at Air Connect…looks like what I need
thanks

“most of the addons can be replaced with just a regular docker container from dockerhub”

I am new to both HA and Docker and wondering how to do this. Can’t find any info for dummies. I am running docker on a synology NAS. Can you point me in the right direction?

3 Likes

I was in the same boat starting out and there really isn’t a comprehensive step by step guide “for dummies”. It is a tough way to start out but if you stick with it you’ll learn a lot about docker along the way which is definitely worth it. If you have docker running successfully that’s a huge step forward. If you haven’t already, I would first get the Home Assistant container running, and the official documentation is a good starting point

Then instead of installing add-ons through Home Assistant you install the equivalent add-ons as other docker containers. Currently I’m using Node-red, Portainer, ZwaveJS2MQTT, Zigbee2MQTT, Swag, and Wireguard all running in docker as separate containers. What add-ons are you looking for specifically to run? If you list the ones you want hopefully I/someone can post links to the install instructions/tutorials for them.

2 Likes

I tried it out by installing a Configurator container alongside with HA container. Now since Configurator in loaded as an iframe in HA, I need to expose Configurator’s container to the internet if I want to access HA from outside my network. I’m using a reverse proxy to make it work since the Configurator is not on SSL.
Not sure I am doing it right, but I suppose I will have the same issues with other “add-on containers”.

I don’t use the configurator, I usually just edit the yaml config files right on the machine running home assistant using the nautilus file explorer in Ubuntu. The machine has a keyboard and monitor. I can still ssh into it or access it on my windows laptop through a samba share. Ssh and samba are running on the “bare metal” of the ubuntu machine.

I do have zwavejs2mqtt and zigbee2mqtt’s config pages accessible through iframe pages through home assistant, and yes those need to be configured with a reverse proxy for external access. Home Assistant won’t proxy them for you. For a reverse proxy I use the Swag container which combines nginx, duckdns, letsencrypt (for secure ssl certs/access) and fail2ban. It sounds like you already know how to deal with reverse proxies, but if you’re interested in SWAG I set that up using the instructions from this post

Another option instead of or in addition to a reverse proxy is a VPN. Then when the VPN is connected all the local http addresses would work just like you’re in the network even though you are away. I have wireguard for that and wrote up this guide about installing it in a container

4 Likes