Where is the add-on store when running from docker?

tl;dr
Where is the add-on store when running from docker?

Background: I was using HA in venv, in ubuntu 18.04, and it worked pretty well most of the time. But the installation was not smooth and whenever I wanted to add functionality like zigbee or secure connection issues arise.
I’ve decided to take the recommended approach and install in docker and use the add-ons. I’ve created a directory ‘homeassistant’ (I plan on copying my old settings there later on) and according to this guide I ran:

$ docker run -d --name="home-assistant" -v /homeassistant:/config -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant:stable

Then I log to

http://192.168.1.26:8123

I don’t see an add-on store. Should I have done something differently?

You can only access the Add On Store when using ‘Home Assistant’ (formally ‘Hass.io’).
https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

All other installation methods will not have the Add On Store.

Isn’t there a way to install hass.io in docker then?

1 Like

Home Assistant OS (formerly called hass.io) runs in docker. You need to reinstall and either have Home Assistant Supervis3d on top of Ubuntu or Home Assistant OS. Otherwise you can’t get any add-ons.

You can however configure them yourself, Add-ons are just docker containers that are slighzly modified to ibtegrate well into thr HA ecosystem

2 Likes

thanks for the answer. I’m looking for the easiest way now so Home Assistant Supervised is not that.
I was hoping that Home Assistant OS could be installed as a docker container but the virtual installation methods on the website give

as virtual methods. Have I overestimated what docker can do? what’s the best free app/format from this list?

1 Like

What device do you install HA on?

A PC, with ubuntu 20.04

1 Like

Home Assistant OS uses Docker, as does Supervised.

These methods are a collection of containers, managed by the Supervisor container. In the case of Home Assistant OS that includes an operating system (HassOS). You can install either of these inside Docker - Docker in Docker is a Bad Idea :tm:

1 Like

Then you need a Hypervisor to run Virtual machines to get Home Assistant OS to run. And this PC will run 24/7?

yes, it acts as a server so it’s always on

If you install Home Assistant Supervised you get all the addons etc. Same as if you used HA OS. What you installed was Home Assistant Core which does not.
If you want addons you need to use Supervised or HA OS. Alternately if you use core, you can find appropriate docker containers for whatever functionality you want but these won’t be managed by Home Assistant.

David beat me to it. He is 100% correct. Although keep in mind since you are running Ubuntu, if you install HA Supervised on top of Ubuntu, you will get the dreaded “Unsupported” error message in the logs and on the Supervisor info page. It doesn’t hurt anything, and will run fine, but it will always be there. If you want to avoid seeing that error, install Supervised on top of Debian 10 (replacing Ubuntu on your machine) or install “Home Assistant” (formerly HASSOS) in a virtual environment of your choice on your Ubuntu server.

Terry

Thanks Terry and David. I went over the installation instructions for supervised here and it seems simple to give it a shot without a virtual environment. So I’ll start with that.
Thank :slight_smile:

It is also possible to install HACS (the addon store) in your home assistant core container. If set up correctly, your docker container has persistent storage configured where the config folder is stored.

Locate this folder and follow these steps:

After you restart the container, the addon store (HACS) wil show up and work just as fine as other methods (I’ve been running like this for years).

7 Likes

@Dycell
HACS: Home Assistant Community Store

Similar idea but not the same as the integrated Home Assistant Add-ons
HomeAssistant Supervised/OS users typically use both

2 Likes

HACS components are not addons. They are totally different things and not what the OP was asking about.

1 Like

it’s a little stupid how this used to be possible with hassio and now they expect you to run an entirely new OS…

3 Likes

This was renamed a year ago to HAOS. Everything that was previouly possible is still possible now. It was just a rename.

2 Likes

As mentioned, most of the addons can be replaced with just a regular docker container from dockerhub. I run HA Core on docker and have yet to find a case where I couldn’t find a regular container for something I needed to integrate. Right now I have Mosquitto, Node Red, MaryTTS and DOODS containers talking to HA.

There probably are some cases but none have impacted me yet. And I also run a lot of isolated containers that I don’t feel the need to integrate with HA.

1 Like

This is not just a rename. Running HA supervised inn docker on Ubuntu is not supported anymore since then. it’s laughable