Where is the add-on store when running from docker?

HAOS and HA Supervised are two different things, take a read of the installation methods. Hass.io was indeed renamed, you have some catching up to do.

Except they didnā€™t do that at all, bruh. You can still use Ubuntu and install Container or Core with no issues. You can install HAOS or Supervised in a VM on a Linux OS of your choosing.

Have you still not moved on from your complaining about HA and Ubuntu yet? If not, itā€™s time. Things change, either move with them or donā€™t, your call, bruh.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a little late to the party, do you know where these docker containers can be found? Are they able to be created with simple docker run or compose commands? Iā€™ve been searching for a few days now and not been able to find anything that I understand as a way to create the containers unfortunately, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

This has all lost me.

I have just installed, on two SD cards, one version of HA via the pre built Raspberry pi SD image, and theo other via the Docker instructions

I see that Supervisor and the add on store is not installed via Docker, and I canā€™t afford to jsut go out and buy a new raspberry Pi plus all the bits just to run HA.

So i need to use the Docker method . I treed the other way but ran in to the Python 3.7/3/8/3.9 issue , which again is way beyond my abilities.

So as the original poster of this thread, I need to install and add on-

in my case Air Sonos, as I found the really useful to have.

I have the Raspberry Pi running HomeVision XL Software and the Home Vision X-10 controller deviceā€¦and want HA running on there.

So, in simple terms ,can i just install some how this add on (AirSonos) to the Docker version ā€¦and if so ā€¦how ?

Thanks

1 Like

Add-ons are docker containers specifically designed to work with one of two installation methods:

1. Home Assistant OS
  2. Home Assistant Supervised

You appear to be using Home Assistant Container which isnā€™t designed to support Add-ons. To see a comparison of what each installation method supports, refer to this table in the Installation documentation.

OK, thanks, so canā€™t be done :frowning:

guess Iā€™ll have to keep looking for another solution for my needs

Thanks for letting me know so quickly

Shame that table is not ā€˜upfrontā€™ in the How to install guidesā€¦I have done at least three or four differs installs over the past few days, not spotted tag table beforeā€¦

I see it nowā€¦but not intuitively titled . The title * [Compare Installation Methods] * does not (to me any way) give a clue it tells what each installation method allows to install.

It did not even occur to me that different installation methods, of what appearsā€™ on the outside, to b ether same software, is in fact different packages.

damnā€¦oh well.

3 Likes

What would you suggest its name be to clearly indicate what each installation method provides and how they compare to each other?

Can you elaborate on why you concluded Home Assistant Container is the one you need to use?

What would you suggest its name be to clearly indicate what each installation method provides and how they compare to each other?

Good question. The title as it currently stands just implies it is comparing the Method of installation as opposed to the final outcome. To make it 'snappy ā€™ could prove difficultā€¦
Need to be something that first makes it clear that there are differences in the final outcome of what is installed. It almost needs a paragraph or sentence explaining this in the Installation Section. Reading back on it nowā€¦with the knowledge that there ARE differences, it does ā€˜sort ofā€™ say that ā€¦but not in a way that ā€˜jumpsā€™ out at a new user just trying to work out how to install the thing in the first place.

Maybe something along the lines of:

There are various installation methods, each method gives a different set of features. The fullest 'complete installation is SD Card OS ā€¦going down to the most basic installation(the Core) that does not include all the 'options/. See this table for what is included.

My thoughts on the "Coreā€™ install. would be that you could install the Core, the basic system, and then add extra bits as you need them. rather Like installing Raspberr Pi OS Lite (the Core of the OS) and then adding your own desktop environment, and applications etc. It is nto really clear that once you go down one limited install methods, you cannot add the missing bits after if you find you need them

it seems to me that they are less "Different Installation Methodsā€™ and more Four Different systems

I am coming at this from the point of view of installing an operating system, like PeppermintTen for instance, as that was my last install. I could create a Live Boot CD, or USB, or install direct from the first boot or run the Live CD/USB and install form thereā€¦each installation option, as far as i can tell produces the same end result.

I saw the 4 methods on the Installation pageā€¦but it was not immediately obvious that they all gave ā€˜differentā€™ systems.

Can you elaborate on why you concluded Home Assistant Container is the one you need to use?

I tried the first one, and that is not installed within the Raspberrrypi OSā€¦it is installed instead of, and as I said, i need the Pi for other tasks tooā€¦so after first trying that one, I tried one of the othersā€¦the ā€˜Coreā€™ but that does not work on the Raspberry Pi due the issue with Python3.7 being on Buster and needing python 3.8 I did spend most of this morning going through various tutorials about tring to install and compile Python3.8 but that was a failureā€¦i could just not get it to work.

The Container / Docker method is the second in the list of suggested methods to install so I tried that next.

I see the 4th method, the ā€˜Supervisedā€™ method is the only one I have not tried yet. and I see it includes the ā€˜Add-onsā€™

I may well try that tomorrow. time here now is 2140ā€¦and I am off to bed after having been on this since about 0700 this morning.

Possibly the installation methods list on the installation page, should go in order of the number of features included in the final installation., or at least a thumbnail of the chart showing what is included. Yes it dose say to a degree that there are differences, but to a newbie, the implications of the differences are not all that clear.

Until a few days ago, I had not even heard of Home Assistantā€¦I might have looked at once a few years ago from a hospital bedā€¦in 2018ā€¦ but i had success with HA-Bridge/heyu and a CM11 device to run my X-10 devices with Alexa so had no need to go further.
Now that Amazon keep screwing with device discovery, and i recently got hold of a HomeVision divide, I am look gin at other ways to integrate all my bits and piecesā€¦

The discovery of Air Sonos add-on in the initial SD image of Home Assistant and the ability to allow streamline of auto to my Sonos devices from stuff like the iPhone/ Plex etcā€¦got me hooked on the idea of using Home Assistantā€¦if I can get it to run on the same 8gb Pi4, along with HA-Bridge, HomeVisonXL and an MQTT broker.

if I could afford to go out and buy 2 new Piā€™s then that would e betterā€¦but money not at a premium at the momentā€¦but time is so I can spend time getting it to workā€¦

4 Likes

Unless you install Home Assistant Supervised on Debian, it will not be an officially supported installation. Youā€™ll discover that information, and more, after you read the installation requirements for Home Assistant Supervised.

The poster is kind of in a bind because they want to use the AirSonos add on, but still keep a Raspian OS. Iā€™m running the Home Assistant container install and managing all the other containers, like Node Red, myself, without the add ons. But the issue here appears that the AirSonos Docker container is no longer being developed/working, and only works as a Home Assistant add on per this post/thread - AirSonos docker plugin - #9 by frenck. So, installing AirSonos as a separate stand alone container doesnā€™t appear to be an option here. And the only way to have the addon would be to run the Home Assistant operating system or a supervised install.

@123 would it be possible for them to install a virtual machine on the RPI running Debian, and then install the supported supervised install on the Debian VM? Or would it not be able to handle that?

Or just run the whole home assistant operating system in a VM like documented here? Linux - Home Assistant

Is airconnect the same thing?

Youā€™re asking me to comment on the feasibility of something I didnā€™t suggest.

The OP should install Home Assistant Supervised on Debian (even if itā€™s an RPI3). Thatā€™ll allow for the installation of the AirSonos Add-on.

The OP advised

The supervised install instructions here architecture/adr/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md at 91ecbe4af814de6c06f3f98afc0920b2491a334c Ā· home-assistant/architecture Ā· GitHub specifically say ā€œNo additional software, outside of the Home Assistant ecosystem, is installedā€

Based on that, I donā€™t think they can just replace raspian with Debian, install Home Assistant, run their other programs and call it a day. I was seeking an alternative through a VM to make everything work for the OP and was just wondering what your thoughts are on that based on your frequent posts in the community and expertise.

1 Like

This line represents the true concern:

The user is also responsible for not installing or changing anything on their system that will interfere with the Supervised installation. Examples are software that will update Docker containers managed by the Supervisor.

Plenty of users have other things running on the host that have no impact on Home Assistantā€™s operation and the system isnā€™t flagged as Unsupported or Unhealthy. Personally, I run ssh and samba services installed on Debian as opposed to Add-ons. Where you will run afoul is installing an impactful docker container like Watchtower.

I still believe Home Assistant Supervised is the appropriate choice. If you think it should be Home Assistant OS in a VM, you are welcome to guide Neilp down that path. Based on what has been posted so far, that might be a long path up a tall hill.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for the info. I wasnt sure how ā€œstrictā€ the guide was about other programs but your post clears it up. Based on that sounds like the supervised install is the best bet for the op.

Thank you all for the input over my nights sleep.

Going to be too much to read and digest on my phone, but this does look like a complex issue to resolve. It was what I was afraid of. :weary:

I have outdoor work to do today ( farm/ horses/ grass mowing etc ) but will go through all your suggestions in more detail when I get a chance in the next couple of days

Many thanks

Thank you all

Did not want to go down the Debian route and then have to try and re create the system I currently have (HomeVisionXL, HA-Bridge, MQTT broker, VNC server etc) on a different OS, learn the differences fo the new OS Yes it could well be possibleā€¦and with a Pi running on a SD card, I can easily have a play on a fresh card then go back to my original system if it does not work.

Or the VM ware routeā€¦but this all then become another major projectā€¦I was very much hoping that I was missing something simpleā€¦and one of you knowledgeable people was login to tell meā€¦yes here it is easy ā€¦just open a terminal, type this ā€¦ to install ā€¦XYZā€¦which will add the Add-On packageā€¦but no
So looks liek this is dead in the water for me.

The only use I had for HA was going to be the Air Sonos, I coudl not see it being able to do anything else for meā€¦as HV & HV-XL currently run all I need .

thank you all for trying to helpā€¦but Iā€™ll bow out of this for now

Will head over to the

I agree with you supervised only run well if you are running Debian and not RaspiOS

If everything run on Docker then you should not have many issue since you can move all your config and reinstall your docker then all should run as is?

1 Like

If you are only want to use HA for AirSonos, did you try to install AirSonos directly on your machine without docker?