Which hardware to buy - mains powered wall lightswitches

User experiences: Mains powered wall light switches (UK)

Brand: Moes
Model: ZS-B-EU2
Link to exact product: Moes Switch 2 Gang EU/UK ZS-B-EU2 Zigbee compatibility
Protocol: Zigbee/SkyConnect 7.3.1.0
HA Integration: ZHA
In use since: 7 November 2023
Number of this item in use: 2
Positive:

• Local
  • Zigbee
  • Pairs with ZHA
  • Without HA continues to function as a dumb switch

Negative:

• Not a router (not many wall switches are)
  • Cannot bind with lights
  • Has lost connection with network

My rating (1-5, 1 being bad, 5 being super): 2

Comment:

I bought 2-gang switches (also comes in 1 and 3 gang versions) with the intention of using one wired switch to control dumb ceiling lights and the other to turn separate zigbee sockets on and off. This worked well: the state of the ceiling lights was reported to HA and the first switch continued to work without HA. The second switch did not work without HA as I was unable to bind it to the sockets, which was disappointing.

First impression out of the box was that the device was a little flimsy, but it seemed solid once it was on the wall. Switches have a loud mechanical click. Easy to wire up, but you need a deep wall box or failing that an extender.

After about two weeks both devices lost connection with the network unexpectedly. They recovered after being powered off, but this in itself was annoying as the whole floor had to be turned off briefly at the mains to do it - not just a question of taking the battery out. No explanation for the loss of connection, but interestingly the wired switches could not be used manually while they were disconnected (which they can when HA is down). Waiting to see whether this is a regular thing.

edit: Lost connection with the network again two days later. This is obviously a thing.

See aslo:

Door/window contact switches
Smart wall sockets
IR Blasters

Can I assume you still get issues with these switches.
Do you have a recommendation on an alternative yet?

I have some aqura and Iā€™m getting so many disconnects, its becoming annoying now, so looking for an alternative. Zigbee - no neutral - paddle switch - not a dimmer

Yes, they continued to go down about once a week. I set up a separate Z2M network and they seemed to do better with that, but still went down every 2-3 weeks.

In the end I replaced them with single gang versions of the same switch and they have been trouble free since back on ZHA. Worked while HA was down as well.

1 Like