Which hygrometer best to choose (Zigbee / Z-Wave)

Dear community members,

As the headline tells, I am searching for a bunch of humidity sensors to improve my smart home setup. For a few reasons I wont use buetooth devices or any of this cloud based chines devices.

Due my researches does not came to a satisfying solution on this, may you have an idea which humidity sensor (bluetooth/z-wave) without data spred to an asian cloud service is best to use. Sweetspot is something between 20 and 30 bucks.

For Z-Wave we need to know what country you are in. There are several incompatible Z-Wave global regions.

Welcome!

The physical sensor in many of the devices across zigbee, zwave and bluetooth may often be the same device. There seem to be four or five common temperature/humidity sensors in use. However how the vendor configures the sensor can be different, things like temp and humidity range, sampling rate and ability to calibrate. It is often hard to figure out which sensors have which features, the best I have found is to read people’s experiences on this and other forums.

I am not sure what your concerns are with bluetooth based devices, they can have some range issues, however these can be mitigated. While I am not experienced with zwave devices, I have explored zigbee and bluetooth devices and have found some bluetooth devices to be the best based on reliability, number of readings per period, operating range, battery life, range, price.

To your concern about the reading leaving your home, there are solutions to mitigate this for bluetooth, zigbee and zwave. As long as you do not use the vendors hub/app/integration but rather one of the open source systems supported by Home Assistant or other home automation systems.

Have a look at this data I collected a while back

Thanks to both of you for the input!

@Prodigyplace Sorry for that gap of information, I am a novice on the whole diy smart home topic. I am living in Germany, but do not have any z-wave dongle or experience on this so far.

@dproffer In first place I don’t feel comfortable with bluetooth as a second high frequency all time on network in addition to wifi and second for me it does not fit in my sense of building a smart ‘energy safeing’ home by using a power inefficient radio as Bluetooth. May this ar not rational concerns for most people, but for me it matters by choosing a new setup. But may you can contribute your expertise with zigbee hygrometers on that one :slight_smile:

Good hunting, hope you find a solid solution that fits your requirements. The reality is that there are issues that may cause you some challenges with all three (four if you include wifi) radio technologies, zigbee, bluetooth, and zwave. I too was skeptical of bluetooth going in, however after spending too much time and money on all of the radio technologies, bluetooth won. My best advice is have lots of :wine_glass:and :beer:ready :grinning:.

1 Like

No worries. Zigbee is the same worldwide but Z-Wave is not. I have a vendor I like but they are just for North America. Aeotec seems to be popular vendor. I would avoid the cheap Chinese Neo Coolcam stuff though. From experience, they do not necessarily work well.

Some battery operated devices have an option to power off USB if that is desirable.

Zigbee & Z-Wave are designed to handle low power battery operates Smart Home devices. Wi-Fi is battery hungry and has a lot of network overhead.

So right now browsing random stuff in the internet I got an add for the Lupus-Electronics Zigbee temp. sensor, which seams to fit for my purse. May I should had wait one more day before opening this thread, but as I found a proper device there came up the next question: How to set up the sensor in home assistant? The lupus integration it self does not support the humidity sensor. Any ideas?

Perhaps ZHA, the Zigbee home automation integration?some might try zigbee2mqtt with an mqtt broker but that adds complexity.

1 Like

I will give the Zigbee home automation integration a try and keep you updated!

Did you have any luck reading humidity with the lupus integration? I’m also looking for a humidity sensor solution.

Did not tried any further on that, but should I get back to it I will let you know!

I’ve since played around with Z-Wave thermostats and Zwave-js-ui (Formerly Zwave2MQTT). Its reliable but range depends on which generation of device you have purchased. It costs a lot more than a zigbee device because its gone through compliance testing. So if I just wanted a cheap humidity and temp monitor for a room that doesn’t have a thermostat, I might try out zigbee (no experience with it so far) to save cost over Zwave. However, zigbee devices apparently can have compatibility issues with each other.

Bluetooth range is probably only suitable for small areas and I am not aware of a bluetooth repeater the way zigbee, matter, and zwave have repeaters (often built into the sensors and switches as a bonus).