Which linux distro for Home Assistant

First off Debian can be run headless as well so that’s a moot distinction.

But if you already have Ubuntu running HA then I wouldn’t mess with it and just go from there. If you are using the machine for anything other than just running HA the you are already not “officially supported” anyway.

The “it’s not officially supported” thing sounds way more ominous than it actually is. I’ve been running HA now for over 3 years and have only asked for “official support” a few times. Two times were on the discord channel and it never helped me at all either time. I suppose you could get “official support” by submitting bug reports when you find them but I typically don’t find the bugs soon enough to have needed to do that aside from a few times and unless a lot of people are experiencing those same bugs it won’t get touched either.

Most of the support you will get is going to be from people here on the forums.

The bottom line is stay with what you have and you’ll likely be fine for a long time to come. And if you get into trouble come here and ask (after doing your own research a bit to see if it’s already been asked/answered first of course :wink:).

1 Like

get a bigger drive for PC your using and dont have seperate storage

add network storage (you can make with Raspberry pi)

My main PC that I use has plenty of storage. I’m looking at additional storage so I can transfer and save camera footage mainly to start with.

What would the issue be with just using the Ubuntu Server that’s got Home Assistant for storage instead of having to run the Pi as well?

No problem in my real opinion.

Don’t have real idea of the amount of storage you need.
Do you currently have 1TB and want another 3TB or do you have 16TB and need 100TB more. The context is missing and after some point looking at hardware options should be considered so I add that option for your further consideration

To start with I’m just going to use what I have.

So 240gb SSD which runs Ubuntu server and currently has HA on it.

I have a 500gb HDD in the computer as well but want to mount and use it all as storage in the server ideally and later upgrading to 1TB or more

Actually, that’s not particularly meaningful. There are four installation methods:

1. Home Assistant OS
  2. Home Assistant Supervised
  3. Home Assistant Container
  4. Home Assistant Core

Depending on which one you used, it will determine what your system is capable of doing (or not).

For additional information refer to the following:

I would reckon is number 2 as in accordance to this guide that I followed?

That guide is almost a year old and, considering how rapidly the Home Assistant project evolves, should be considered to be outdated. Minimally, it uses outdated terminology.

Home Assistant Supervised appears to be the installation method you’ve used and, for others who wish to use the same method, the latest installation guide can be found in the Community Guides section.

Okay there was an update on that guide as of April 2020.

Nonetheless, I got my second drive mounted and is basically in /mnt/sda

Anything I can do to get files stored there?

Or am I better off at looking at doing a different kind of install?

Can you elaborate on what you mean? Because, on the surface, it sounds like you want to know the command for copying files (cp in linux) but surely it must be more a more complex question that that.

Is there an official communication from the devs about that? Meaning that Debian will be the OS of choice for Home Assistant Supervised? I’ve been waiting to hear officially before I start rebuilding my instance.

Yes, look in the second post of this thread. It contains a link to ADR-0014.

Why not use larger drives and not bother with external?

Use what you have. Not everyone has the ability to go out an spend money on large density drives.

Unless you plan on running a completely vanilla install of Debian 10 with nothing else other than HA installed, you will be considered unsupported. I wouldn’t stress too much about needing to rebuild your instance if it’s working well for you currently.

I mean I want to use that particular mounted drive for storage. I don’t want to have all data being uploaded to the main drive where I have Ubuntu Server Installed and HA running.

Again this question would be based on if I have chosen the correct installation method. So just to reiterate, I want a system that runs Home Assistant and should also have access to the second drive for NAS. I hope that makes sense. (I would do a windows FTP server and just have one drive for that but I don’t and can’t leave my windows PC switched on at all times).

When you create a mount point in Linux, it appears as a directory to all applications. In other words, the application is not aware of, for example /my_nas represents a directory on an internal drive, externally attached drive, or a drive in another device on the network. In other words, the mounted drive is “transparent” to the application. So if you install Home Assistant Supervised on Debian (or Ubuntu or some other Linux distro) you are able to mount drives and make them accessible, and “transparent”, to applications.

Oh I was hoping there could be some sort of solution where I could pull out the specific drive and connect it to any PC and go through the files

So that’s a requirement you overlooked to mention since the beginning of this thread which began with:

Any drive can be unmounted. However, unmounting and walking away with it to another computer is not really how one envisions a storage device used by an FTP server. Perhaps you should explain the details of your requirements.

You said you wish to pull out the drive and “connect it to any PC”. Do you mean a Windows PC? I assume you know that the storage device’s file system (default is Ext4) on the Linux-based server will not be in Windows’ preferred NTFS format?

Sounded like you wanted to mount USB as second drive by the way it was being discussed. Sorry misunderstood.

Maybe you should look at Cockpit.
This will help with Linux server management. I still recommend read the docs but this is a very good tool.