Which notification platform do you suggest?

Hi,

Finally, I am about to configure a notification platform. There are many great platforms already, like Slack, Pushbullet etc.

My goal is to get notifications from HA to my Android phone and desktop Windows workstations about various things, for example when nobody at home and a motion sensor trigger, an automation run or a currency change radically… similar things.

Which notification do you suggest, what are the pro and contra in that?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

If you use tasker then join is pretty nice.

It’s all I use because I just haven’t been bothered to use (setup) other platforms.

2 Likes

I’ve tried Pushetta but it was too simplistic for me. I moved on to Pushbullet, it was quick, easy to use but has a max of 500 messages per month so if you end up with setting up several alerts it might not work out for you.

I’m now on Telegram and I enjoy it. you can set up different bots to pull or push information without limits per month and the desktop / web app works well.

3 Likes

For simplicity, HTML5 push is hard to beat. It requires nothing to be installed on your system, but does require your HA install to be externally accessible over HTTPS.

Otherwise, it depends on what you want out of it. For instance, I’ve found Pushover is nice and lightweight, but Slack allows me to trivially include pictures in the notification.

2 Likes

is it possible to set up HTML5 Push with a DDNS ?

Totally. I used this guide, worked like a charm.

1 Like

Managed to get it up and running. Not the easiest though. The guide was a little confusing and I had to modify for my setup but I’m now doing push notifications.

Zanzito is great

2 Likes

When it works…

1 Like

So far (3 months or so) it’s never let me down :wink:

1 Like

Thank you all for your input! Probably I am going to implement Slack, which I use anyway on my desktops and mobile for work. I will write an update here about my experience once it is done.

I’ve tried IFFT, push bullet, and now currently testing out telegram with a bot which I think is my favourite so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

SMTP is what I am using.
Subject for short message, body for long message.

2 Likes

is there one on Android phones that will also TTS please?

Looking for something for when I set up the alarm. i.e. press a hidden button next to my bed to turn off all lights and arm the alarm, then TTS “Alarm Set” or something like this.

Using jabber xmpp with also sending me pics from my cameras of motion detected

I’m using join. It’s quite easy to set up and it’s reliable and fast. So far, join has never let me down. No limitations as far as I know.

For notifications with integrated TTS, definitely have to go with Zanzito. Can also use it for voice controls in HA if you’re not using Google Assistant or Alexa. Definitely helped to streamline my setup

I agree zanzito is powerful

I use telegram. Reliable, multi-platform and allows you to push commands from your phone. As I am running HA in local and did not open ports for external access, I can still manage to control some stuff from outside thanks to my bot.

3 Likes

Simplepush.io …just works and no bs.