Which notification platform do you suggest?

I’m using pushover. It is very user-friendly and you can set priority for your messages!

1 Like

SMTP as well. in the US at least, i can send email as a txt to my phone. and i can fire events in tasker by telling tasker to look for special code words that i send in my messages.

1 Like

Telegram…

1 Like

It works really sluggish for me, but I don’t know if it’s my phone or just the system

I just ran a test, and it took about one second for the message to arrive from the point of triggering the notification. If it’s taking significantly longer for you, I’d suspect the phone. Try setting your computer up for notifications, that should make it clear if the problem is your phone, or something else.

Telegram here. I use it on other systems as well so combines everything in one.

I’m also using telegram, event get pics send to me from my front door when somebody rings the doorbell.

I’ve been really happy with Pushover as you can set up multiple applications to use with it, and a limit of 7,500 messages per application per month. The app (at least on Android) is free to try for 7 days and then a one-time $4.99 fee after that. I use it for everything from pfsense to HASS to my NAS’s to Plex, and many others.

Easy to set up, easy to use, and as others have stated, separate priorities so that you are notified differently.

Pushover and zanzito have been best for me. I used telegram for awhile but it would occasionally miss sending a message. Join is also a good platform and offers a lot of extra functionality outside of HA

I use Facebook Messenger for chat/audio/video privately, so I configured that with my HA. Probably not the easiest setup, but it works really good, fast and stable.

New poster on the HA forums but I have been using openHAB for years…

I use MQTT for all notifications along with mqttwarn. The idea being you setup a few different notification levels (sorry not sure exactly how you do this in HA). Each of these is linked to a different MQTT topic.

So to send a low-importance notification you send to one topic, say home/notification/info, and for high importance alarms or alerts you might publish to home/notification/alarm. The key is to decouple the delivery endpoints or services from your HA system, and just have these different MQTT notification topics.

Then you setup an instance of mqttwarn and configure it to subscribe to your notification topics. From there you can very easily add/remove different notification platforms, and devices, by simply editing your mqttwarn config.

If you look on the mqttwarn github site you will see there are loads of platforms already supported. Including Pushbullet, Pushover, Slack, etc etc.

I have been using this method for a while now and it has greatly simplified my HA setup. For example when I started using Slack I just added that to my mqttwarn config and all of sudden every notification from openHAB was appearing in my Slack feed.

Hope this is of some use to the HA community :).

2 Likes

How exactly did u setup mqtt warn? Wanna governor a try and use xmpp :wink:

I’ve used Pushbullet for years and it’s about the best cross-platform system - works with phones and web browsers and the restrictions on a free account aren’t too annoying even if they change frequently. If I had the time I would work on Riot/Matrix support but Telegram is probably the next best.

Have you checked out the docs for mqttwarn - they are pretty good with plenty of examples etc.

yeah did check docs and got it running a bit. But still dunno how to create messages…

I use Telegram which works very well for most notifications. I also use Join for my Alarm as this can ‘Ring My Phone’ if the alarm is activated which is very useful.

I hope Whatsapp notification will be supported by HA someday since I dont want to have too many different apps on my phone.

Do you have an android? If so see tinkerer’s post regarding html5 push notifications, when I was space and app sensitive it was absolutely the way to go.

How do u attach a screenshot of ip camera with html5 notification?

With the data section of the notification.