Which notification platform do you suggest?

Hi Tinkerer, do you have an example automation script? I have it setup like below but can only receive a message but can’t pull a screenshot.

- alias: Test Automation
  initial_state: 'on'
  hide_entity: True
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: binary_sensor.door_window_sensor_158d00014db7b2
    to: 'on'
  action:
    - service: camera.snapshot
      data_template:
        entity_id: camera.dahua_ipc
        filename: "/config/www/snapshots/camera.dahua_ipc{{ trigger.to_state.last_changed }}.jpg"
    - service: notify.google
      data:
        image: "/config/www/snapshots/camera.dahua_ipc{{ trigger.to_state.last_changed|urlencode }}.jpg"

Have a look at this one. I found that images need to be in another data: section, like:

- service: push
  data:
    data:
      image: !secret garage_camera_url

which server and client you use?

I run my own ejabberd server with android conversations app … works perfectly so far :slight_smile:

No Android app available on play store :frowning:

Still xmpp …I am very privacy oriented… So I use my own services and stuff :wink:

Can you please show me how you attach images for notifications? Just set up ejabberd and cant figure out how to attach with home assistant.

Add me to your roster: [email protected]

I’ll tell u how :wink:

It’s back in the play store now, i think it was an abandoned projects for a while. However, it is no longer free after trial. I’ve moved to private xmpp, but trying out pushover.

I’m using Telegram as notification service which really works great for me :slight_smile:

I currently use a combination of PushBullet and Telegram. I have just returned from a holiday in Bali (I live in Australia) and happened to notice that the Pushbullet notifications came through fine (when connected to wifi as I didn’t have global roaming on) over there however the Telegram ones did not (they all came flooding through when I landed back in Aus.). Rather strange… wondering if Telegram is blocked by their Government or something

Ariela on Android. Works great!

Another vote for Telegram here. I like that you can have actionable notifications. I was using PushBullet before, and I couldn’t get that functionality. I just wish that the action buttons would appear on the notification. You unfortunately have to open the Telegram app to see the buttons.

“Authorities also blocked access to some channels on encrypted messaging service Telegram last year, saying it had several forums that were “full of radical and terrorist propaganda”.

Off to Bali next week myself, can’t wait. I’ll keep my Pushbullet notifications running then :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Indonesian, frequently to Bali also, and I need to clarify that Telegram is not blocked in our country. I’m using Telegram also for my push notification, and it works wonderful all the time, using both carrier data or any wifi in the area. This is also to confirm @kanga_who who will be heading to the island of God. Enjoy your holiday.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Not sure why mine didn’t come through then, and I used many different wifi networks while over there (airport, hotel, pubs, restaurants etc.). As I mentioned, I had a flood of late messages coming through (a week’s worth) as soon as I landed back in Australia.

Hmm… Could it be you’re on the island on July 2017? If yes, than it could be on the days when govt blocked telegram access for several days. However since August 2017, telegram is working fine again. Source https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-security-apps-idUSKBN1AH40K

no, this was only last month

Another vote for Ariela.

I just made my first actionable notification today and it works great!

Home Assistant Companion for iOS (and Android soon). I might be a little biased though…

1 Like