Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

Iā€™d think thatā€™s out of scope given itā€™s not specific to HA, but Iā€™ll defer to the masses.

3 Likes

Tried to read that post a few times. By the second paragraph my eyes would glaze over & Iā€™d just scroll down to the bottom or close the tab.

1 Like

(Or the Regularsā€™ Chatroom)

Ughā€¦ yaā€™ll are going to get me back on Discord again with crap like that. lmao

Since this thread has moved to social Iā€™ve started a new Cookbook Discussion thread. :grin:

4 Likes

I tweaked the title yesterday before reading this as a lark, fyiā€¦

What about a Blueprints section in the Cookbook and posts regarding the HA commands and such, not any specific authors blueprint problem.

The one I just put in automation should go there and I have something else I just found, could turn that one into a community guide and index it.

Using action inputs in automations.

I think Blueprints should be included, but need vetted in some way first. Maybe a submission channel as a buffer, then publication?

I donā€™t (and not just because I donā€™t use them).

Itā€™s an educational reference.

People learn nothing from using blueprints.

7 Likes

So a :rabbit: hole :laughing:

I always break down the blueprint, but thatā€™s probably not the norm. I can see your argument.

1 Like

People using them learn nothing, but they are targeted at that audience to use not learn from. Those wikiā€™s are not written for them, rather for people writing BPs.

Someone using a BP could care less about a selector, for instance, but someone writing one does.

And not using them is like saying you wonā€™t use class libraries because you didnā€™t write it so you didnā€™t learn anything by just using them.

1 Like

I donā€™t use them because I donā€™t need to. I can easily and quickly write what I need myself tailored for my needs.

Nothing like class libraries.

Thatā€™s not the point.

If you want to include how to write blueprints thatā€™s fine.

But do not include a useful list of blueprints, that has no place in this (IMO).

4 Likes

The ancillary addons/blueprints/custom cards, etcā€¦will still need to addressed in some respect.

No matter how solid the Cookbook is, folks we still push the limits on HA manipulation(a good thing) In fact it may generate additional customization questions as folks get educated. The majority of people attracted to HA are inquisitive and that will 100% generate requests for assistance beyond the Cookbook.

Whether we agree or disagree on whatā€™s included, a clear line will need to be drawn in the sand.

I think it would be good to be explicit about what is excluded.

Yes, that was my long winded point! :laughing:

1 Like

Thatā€™s what you are saying. I agree. 100%

1 Like

I wrote that up a few hours ago and posted that I did in the other ā€˜officialā€™ thread.

1 Like

Have to admit that occasionally i use blueprints as yaml generator (although it has been a while).

Let it run once, look up the trace, copy the automation configuration and paste it into my automation to adapt for my own use.

after that i delete the blueprint as it has no value to me anymore

3 Likes

Same hereā€¦but we are probably not the norm. Focus on the majority and finalize with the minority.

1 Like

Thatā€™s also what they are for.

And if you do the same thing over and over. like canned TTSā€™s or playing MP3ā€™s you can just write it once and tie into that a bunch of times.

Canā€™t the title just be Regularsā€™ Chatroom? :rofl:

1 Like