Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

OKā€¦

I will change the title of a post

• To correct a spelling mistake
  • Sometimes if I feel itā€™s misleading - ie where the post is about something else entirely
  • Sometimes if itā€™s clear that English is not the posterā€™s first language
  • Very occasionally, where it makes no sense whatsoever. Iā€™m a bit wary of this - often it just means I donā€™t understand the topic.

I do not usually change titles like ā€œHelp needed!ā€ - theyā€™re on their own. :roll_eyes:

I have (once) changed the category of a post. The poster got very cross but I was able to persuade him that his rather good how-to was better off in Community Guides. I quite often add extra tags - that seems harmless.

After all, there are only 47 of us. Weā€™re the wise old men of the forum. ā€œAh, we have heard the chimes at midnight Master Shallow. That we have.ā€

5 Likes

Thereā€™s a ā€œlounge categoryā€ mentioned in the ā€œDiscourse trust levelsā€ document (link above) for L3 only. Apparently we were invited in the PM telling us weā€™d been promoted. Do we have one of those?

No I donā€™t think that has been enabled.

I did ask @MissyQ about this, but she is still in the putting out fires, etc. mode in the new position and was not comfortable changing this platform yet until she gathers more info.
Iā€™ll let them address that themself.

I change categories quite often on ones I see are obviously in the wrong place. I donā€™t tell them. If they become upset I will often move it back and/or explain what happened. They might be able to tell who moved it if they look in edits or something, donā€™t know, but that has been working well.

Usually this is something put into the blueprint exchange that is not a blueprint, or a blueprint put into configuration - blueprint thinking it is the exchange, or a question that is unrelated to a blueprint dropped into either category. Occasionally something that is not an [FR] put into [FR], but it needs to be a clear problem that I am prepared to argue for. I have also pulled a clear feature request into [FR] after discussing with the OP but thy were unsure how.

This helpful for a cookbook tag?
Template Collection (CookBook).

Thinking maybe add a few more, pull the reply one up to the top, have the Mods clean-up the lower chatter a bitā€¦

Yeyā€¦back in business again (for how long?)

I kind of like the idea :+1:t4:

1 Like

Isnā€™t this a bit outside the scope of a cookbook?

The post on templates we have at the moment is about time and date ā€œrecipesā€, which are the sort of basic thing anyone might want - these are a bit miscellaneous and a little obscure. :grin:

Template library is a good idea, though. There are a couple on Github:

GitHub - Petro31/easy-time-jinja: Easy Time calculations for Home Assistant templates.
GitHub - TheFes/relative-time-plus: Relative Time Macro with additional options.

2 Likes

I was wondering about the same; the question pops up regularly :wink:

@Stiltjack Yeah, being able to re-organize this place is a little further down my list right now. Discord is the biggest project and I am tackling that first.

Iā€™ll save this post somewhere to utilize the feedback in here when I get to the forums side of things. :3

2 Likes

To be honest, Iā€™m not sure the idea of a lounge is a good one. Regulars donā€™t have particular duties as moderators do, which they might need to confer over in private. This thread has been fun, but the tone has bee just a touch - dare I say it - elitistā€¦ (Aaaaaargh. :scream: Waits for sky to fall.) My comments included.

I kind of think it should be visble to everybody.

3 Likes

This is fair! Honestly, I feel like Discord is a much better place to have that ā€œloungeā€ feeling. While forums historically had these spaces, chat is just a much better form of chilling with community members than a forum space. Forums can feel cold and alone if no one responds. I guess the biggest thing to address here might be to remove that level notification altogetherā€¦

Itā€™s not a bad thing that this community is a little elitist, it helps the community moderate itself; we just have to remember that weā€™re not the only ones in it, and your point is much needed for this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really, I donā€™t like discord. There is no structure, everything runs through everything. I have been there once to report an error in a beta, since then I just post an issue on Github.

8 Likes

Id say, remove the ā€œlabelā€ ( in the Forum ) as well, ok, their is a ā€œhierarchyā€ in the ā€œachievementsā€ of Badges, and privilege, this could stay within the profile, if people are curious
But in the Forum, there is no ā€œpracticalā€ need for people to ā€œon clickā€ see if a person who respond/assist is Basic/Member/ or Regular ( A Moderator, Yes !)
There is no ā€œsalvationā€ for People who are ā€œnewbiesā€ , basic or even member, to initially know that they are ā€œfacingā€ a more experienced ā€œnerdā€ , i think they would feel more ā€œrelaxedā€ if they just feel, they get assistant/advice/help, from just another member
And if they indeed are more ā€œcuriousā€ , they can open the persons profile page

2 Likes

Totally agree, the discord is just a line of questions and sometimes answers w/o a real structure

1 Like

Discord is great if you want to have a short discussion or live support. Itā€™s not great as a historical record.

1 Like

Probably for some but if someone, as I am, only are there from time to time, itā€™s just a mess of statements, questions and posts that is really difficult to follow. I have probably not understood the format :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Itā€™s just a place to chat. Not a forum to have a long extended conversation over 20 days. Think IRQ or AOL instant messenger but everyone in one place.

1 Like

I actually only partly follow the beta-channel( even after i dropped out of beta-testing, to get pre-info, upon whatā€™s to come.
Have Tapo-camera as-well in discord, and as itā€™s limited in both functions/features and users, itā€™s another ā€œexperienceā€ , compared to walking into a clothes/jeans shop VS walking into a huge Shopping Mall :smile:

1 Like

Same here, when I chime in itā€™s for this channel to be prepared for what I need to place attention to when I upgrade :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like