Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

Probably for some but if someone, as I am, only are there from time to time, itā€™s just a mess of statements, questions and posts that is really difficult to follow. I have probably not understood the format :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Itā€™s just a place to chat. Not a forum to have a long extended conversation over 20 days. Think IRQ or AOL instant messenger but everyone in one place.

1 Like

I actually only partly follow the beta-channel( even after i dropped out of beta-testing, to get pre-info, upon whatā€™s to come.
Have Tapo-camera as-well in discord, and as itā€™s limited in both functions/features and users, itā€™s another ā€œexperienceā€ , compared to walking into a clothes/jeans shop VS walking into a huge Shopping Mall :smile:

1 Like

Same here, when I chime in itā€™s for this channel to be prepared for what I need to place attention to when I upgrade :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is why Discord is my current focus. :wink: With 132k members, there is no denying it is a popular space for our community members to hang out. Itā€™s just not very friendly to all types of community members and there are a lot of new community features Discord has introduced that arenā€™t utilized in that server currently. It will massively improve structure to implement some of those features which will help make the space more enjoyable and valuable to most members.

When I have a solid plan for what I want to do, I will be asking the Discord members their opinion on the changes. Depending on that, I may make adjustments to what I propose. This really isnā€™t a short process, folding in and considering community feedback is important, and I will have to do the same here on the forums. Discourse is a whole other beast, though. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks Missy for updating us!

Back to the task.
I know what is going to be said. This is not a cookbook entry, it is way too long, but this thread should be on everyoneā€™s bookmark list.
The first 2 posts encompass the cookbook idea, even if the next 350 posts donā€™tā€¦
The EPIC Time Conversion and Manipulation Thread! - #2 by finity.

1 Like

Added a link from the cookbook post. :grin:

1 Like

Which is great, right!!!

And tidied up my contribution, much tidier!

I think Iā€™d ask this question (after reading and liking every post of this thread to get my stats up :grinning:)

Why doesnā€™t a home automation system have out of the box capability to do light control (and account for all the nuances like doors that bounce, TOD constraints, luminance sensors, no trigger on door exit, etc) and have a UI to manage and view the performance of the light circuit (how long does it take for the light to actually turn on, what last triggered it, adjust the no occupancy timeout, etc.)

Weā€™ve all built these from scratch. Thereā€™s a lot of ways to approach it. Lots of variation in posts.

2 Likes

Because look at the blueprint for motion light that comes installed.
Iā€™ve had more than half a dozen people try and fail to adjust that thing to get it to do the 1 extra thing. Any pre-canned thing you provide will be just a little wrong for half the people.

6 Likes

Exactly, the current solution doesnā€™t really work and is missing extensibility. That does not mean that there isnā€™t a solution. Just means HA doesnā€™t have it yet.

Mine does. I donā€™t see the problem. :grin:

1 Like

Itā€™s all about the exceptions.

Thatā€™s why I made the energy FAQ.

Mainly because I was getting tired of answering the same questions over and over again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Added a link from the cookbook post. :grin:

2 Likes

I like that.
Looks like it could be pulled into a community guide here as well. This should be able to handle the markdown.

I have many things I maintain on git and just copy the md file into here. When I edit them for my Blueprints and custom templates, the README is what I share in the forum.

The pictures have to be a global link so the forum can see them, but otherwise it just goes.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s one that maybe donā€™t fit, but maybe it doesā€¦
We have a search one, how about one to help them with discourse itself?
How to get the Certified Badge - community - Discourse Meta.
There is 2 courses people can take to learn the discourse tools. Hard to find, no one clicks on them on their first interaction when they do their first post, and after that you donā€™t know how to find themā€¦

They came up in a convo about the strange badges discourse has and how many people have them. Well I have proof that I am certifiable because discobot tells me I and licensed and certified.
Screenshot_20240317_202623

Iā€™ll be glad to write something up if we agree it fits. Iā€™m fine if not as well.

1 Like

I have another one for your cookbook.

I answer this question every couple of weeks:

5 Likes

Another one from an answer Petro gave to me earlier. I knew some of it, but not all of it, and not as nicely put together as here to explain how template sensors will update:

5 Likes