Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) 🤷

Should we add a link to how to ask a good question to the cookbook? Or maybe just a bit a formating code in posts?

2 Likes

Maybe a bot that scans the new post for unformatted YAML and replies with the link to go read?

2 Likes

It would seem possible, but a bit beyond the scope of the cookbook,
Creating bot on discourse - dev - Discourse Meta.

I currently drop the specific FAQ item link on them. Not certain more words are actually needed.
How to help us help you - or How to ask a good question.

The main problem with that is that the page is quite long, and the info re quoting info is way down near the bottom.

That’s a link right to that item, though.
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/how-to-help-us-help-you-or-how-to-ask-a-good-question/114371#oneone-format-it-properly-16

1 Like

Yes, by the way how do you all manage your bookmarks for commonly pointed to info?

3 things.
I have an Ubuntu toolbar thing called sticky notes for extended links, external links, quotes, paragraphs, and copy out stuff.
I still have some stuff in bookmarks, but that is getting replaced by…
Discourse bookmarks are great. Moving to these for full length links to posts…

They are well hidden. I didn’t find them the first 4 years here either. always wondered what happened when I clicked that funny box with the hole in the bottom.

1 Like

Holy crap…
I just found something else Regulars can do…
Anyone that’s a regular, did you click the (…) so your toolbar opens and look at the wrench?

Do you want to edit this post?

Yes i found it ! :grin: :+1:

2 Likes

Well it would be rude to edit your post, but I can’t find the (…)

Found it, the (…) that is per post.

(That’s it) :tada:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣤⣤⣤⡄⠀⠀⠀⢀⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣰⣶⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣄⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⣠⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢀⣠⣴⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⠀
⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⠀
⠀⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠋⠁⠀⠙⠻⣿⣿⡿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠘⠿⠿⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⣿⡿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

I had to be cheeky :rofl:

1 Like

click the wrench, what does it say

“Make wiki”, you should be able to edit my last post.

I just changed the pinned post in the feature request category that I wrote into a WIKI, that is more of a community post than from me.

Given I’m 9 days away from being flagged as a regular, can I just click the flag icon on your post instead? Will that speed up my progress? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

No, but you can edit that post above if you want to…
It will make you feel better.
Draw an ascii flag in it or something, or a stick tongue out emoji maybe.

3 Likes

Touche! I also just learnt you can flag your own posts today thanks to you. Have a like - you deserve it

2 Likes

Wow, I see it, but not on every post. There must be some additional rules, it seems.

I generally avoid editing other peoples posts except to put them in the correct category or hide sensitive information.

Feel free to help out with this.

2 Likes

Agreed, I wouldn’t feel very comfortable doing that. I’m surprised that such an ability isn’t available to mods and admins only.